OT: Antonio Brown

Advertisement
Can tell you guys this as a Steelers fan and his perception in Pittsburgh would definitely lend credence to the legit mental issues vs "just being narcissistic jerk" argument. AB was pretty much beloved there until close to the very bitter end. Dude was perceived as a happy guy, fan friendly and was donating money to the Children's Hospital that he often visited.

Then little stories started to leak, then the local media started to spread that he's not such a great dude ALL the time and then he starts doing things overtly like showing up like 6 hours late for an event he planned at that same Children's Hospital and not really being apologetic at all. Then he almost gets arrested going like 112mph down Pittsburgh's equivalent of Kendall or University Drive in the middle of the day.

Dude definitely isn't mentally "balanced". He's not just a Warren Sapp type of jerk. It just has obviously become much more destructive and chronic in his later years.

I am. Wuzzup NYSOM? Good to hear from.
And by the way. I used to want to go to school to get a meal. But I made a decision as a young teenager to do better than what I lived as a child. My kids never saw a day like I did but they were taught to work for what you want.

Friend, it is great to hear from you as well.

I am very glad you were able to turn your terrible situation into a good one for your children. However, anecdotal evidence is just that - anecdotal - and your situation is not the same as others.

It is difficult for ANY individual to do well in life without a decent amount of work and effort. Even for those luckily enough to be born into fortunate situations, hard work and motivation are required for reaching their goals.

But for those starting with much less, hard work and initiative alone do not guarantee any success. They are essentially being asked to climb up the stairs of the Statue of Liberty while having their legs tied together.

It’s not impossible, but it is very difficult.

Anyway, I don’t want to dampen the mood of this beautiful Sunday with a tempestuous discussion about politics and the intersectionality of poverty + race + mental health.

I hope you have a wonderful day.

:)

Advertisement
Until he sees real consequences, this type of behavior will continue. He’s a spoiled child in a grown man’s body.
The man blew multi million dollar contracts..Hes seen the consequences. I see ppl talking about mental health etc etc…Ain’t no cure for Bebe syndrome. AB is and has been THIS. Still a top 5 WR all time don’t @ me

I don't laugh at people suffering from mental health its actually sad.

While I agree w/ u, there’s a difference between mental health & someone refusing to get help.

I’ll give u an example of Brandon Marshall for instance; he realized something was wrong w/ him & he sought help. The results? Although he wasn’t the same WR in Denver, he became a solid teammate, leader, & is now enjoying the 2nd half of a career in the media.

Now I’ll give u an example of my lil cousin who’s been diagnosed w/ schizophrenia. He has good days & bad days, but his bad days r becoming more prevalent. Why? B/c he refuse to take his medication. When he has bad days, he’s pacified & excused by my family saying “he’s struggling w/ mental issues.” That’s bull chit; of course he is, but the lil ******* refuse to get help & uses mental health for his actions.

A.B has more resources than most who suffer from mental illness. He’s been given more excuses & chances b/c of his talent. When chit was hitting the fan, he used mental health as a reason. OK, cool; but, what r u doing to help stabilize urself? It’s like an obese person saying I need to lose weight; OK, great…now what r u doing about it? If u keep eating at McD’s, then I’m not going to feel empathy for u. My empathy for AB has left. If he was seeking help, which from my understanding he started then stopped, then I can’t feel sorry for him.

My personal opinion is he suffers from more of a borderline personality disorder like narcissism. He shows eery traits like my ex. More attention seeking, hard to give criticism to, always someone else’s fault, justifies behavior, gives empty apologies, and makes a spectacle to make a point w/o considering how actions affects others b/c it’s about them in that moment.

Advertisement
While I agree w/ u, there’s a difference between mental health & someone refusing to get help.

I’ll give u an example of Brandon Marshall for instance; he realized something was wrong w/ him & he sought help. The results? Although he wasn’t the same WR in Denver, he became a solid teammate, leader, & is now enjoying the 2nd half of a career in the media.

Now I’ll give u an example of my lil cousin who’s been diagnosed w/ schizophrenia. He has good days & bad days, but his bad days r becoming more prevalent. Why? B/c he refuse to take his medication. When he has bad days, he’s pacified & excused by my family saying “he’s struggling w/ mental issues.” That’s bull chit; of course he is, but the lil ******* refuse to get help & uses mental health for his actions.

A.B has more resources than most who suffer from mental illness. He’s been given more excuses & chances b/c of his talent. When chit was hitting the fan, he used mental health as a reason. OK, cool; but, what r u doing to help stabilize urself? It’s like an obese person saying I need to lose weight; OK, great…now what r u doing about it? If u keep eating at McD’s, then I’m not going to feel empathy for u. My empathy for AB has left. If he was seeking help, which from my understanding he started then stopped, then I can’t feel sorry for him.

My personal opinion is he suffers from more of a borderline personality disorder like narcissism. He shows eery traits like my ex. More attention seeking, hard to give criticism to, always someone else’s fault, justifies behavior, gives empty apologies, and makes a spectacle to make a point w/o considering how actions affects others b/c it’s about them in that moment.
I absolutely get your point of view and experiences too. I think what we've seen and will see in this thread is really an unanswerable debate about mental health in relation to conduct though too.

I mean at the end of the day if you really wanted to couldn't you argue that most perpetrators of serious crimes are suffering from some sort of mental health issue?

Couldn't you pretty much say that when someone refuses to seek help or take their meds that those actions (or inactions) can be tied to their mental health issues too?

Advertisement
This guy needs serious help before he hurts himself or someone else, seems like only a matter of time, all the signs have been there for a long time.

It’s probably likely he’s feeling guilt at some point over what he did, he may not know how to deal with it, and will act out more in denial.

That’s what worries me.

He may not have shown violent tendencies in the past (I’m not sure of that either), but his impulse control is horrible. If he gets triggered he could impulsively do something violent, either to himself or others.

Right now I’d be more worried about self harm, tbh.

Advertisement
Looks like he had a meltdown - during the game, just walked off the field while taking off his pads and shirt; threw his gloves into the crowd; walked up the tunnel while peacing out the crowd. I got the impression that he was basically saying "I'm outta here."
I don’t know why y’all going off on the ninjah, mafukkas quit jobs all the time and say **** you to everyone! When a pro athlete does it he crazy lol. Vontae Davis did it midgame too and mufukkas applauded him. He may be a bit off but you can’t say he quit because he crazy, you don’t know what he going through.

No idea why ppl in the media and on here grasping at any reason to excuse antonio brown's behavior

dude has always been a cancer and has treated people poorly for years along with being a team distraction everywhere he's gone.

Advertisement
Back