OT: Antonio Brown

I absolutely get your point of view and experiences too. I think what we've seen and will see in this thread is really an unanswerable debate about mental health in relation to conduct though too.

I mean at the end of the day if you really wanted to couldn't you argue that most perpetrators of serious crimes are suffering from some sort of mental health issue?

Couldn't you pretty much say that when someone refuses to seek help or take their meds that those actions (or inactions) can be tied to their mental health issues too?
Have a brilliant Psychiatrist colleague I was downrange with and one day at lunch he concisely described the dilemma of mental illness.

It's a tale of two views.

On the one hand, mental illness (vice physical trauma to emotional centers) is never an excuse for poor behavior, but it is always an explanation of it.

For those trapped behind the dark veil, they simply struggle beyond their resiliency to see the world as it really is. For them, the sight picture is always obscured, always colored black and gray.

The brutal truth is unless the patient wants and achieves real change, at best the mental illness is just managed to varying degrees (from really good to really bad) and the root cause process(es) are never healed.

Advertisement
While I agree w/ u, there’s a difference between mental health & someone refusing to get help.

I’ll give u an example of Brandon Marshall for instance; he realized something was wrong w/ him & he sought help. The results? Although he wasn’t the same WR in Denver, he became a solid teammate, leader, & is now enjoying the 2nd half of a career in the media.

Now I’ll give u an example of my lil cousin who’s been diagnosed w/ schizophrenia. He has good days & bad days, but his bad days r becoming more prevalent. Why? B/c he refuse to take his medication. When he has bad days, he’s pacified & excused by my family saying “he’s struggling w/ mental issues.” That’s bull chit; of course he is, but the lil ******* refuse to get help & uses mental health for his actions.

A.B has more resources than most who suffer from mental illness. He’s been given more excuses & chances b/c of his talent. When chit was hitting the fan, he used mental health as a reason. OK, cool; but, what r u doing to help stabilize urself? It’s like an obese person saying I need to lose weight; OK, great…now what r u doing about it? If u keep eating at McD’s, then I’m not going to feel empathy for u. My empathy for AB has left. If he was seeking help, which from my understanding he started then stopped, then I can’t feel sorry for him.

My personal opinion is he suffers from more of a borderline personality disorder like narcissism. He shows eery traits like my ex. More attention seeking, hard to give criticism to, always someone else’s fault, justifies behavior, gives empty apologies, and makes a spectacle to make a point w/o considering how actions affects others b/c it’s about them in that moment.
I was going to post the last paragraph, so no need now.

I've known two people who were truly bipolar (they exhibited the traits, were diagnosed, treated, etc). It's not common, and people overuse the term.

AB doesn't strike me as bipolar; I believe it's something else (although clearly mental illness is involved and has been for a LONG time).

I understand what you say but Antonio brown mental health problems are well documented. Let's not wait until something bad happens to him before have sympathy for him.
His dumb behavior is well documented, nothing about a mental disorder is documented. He has been ordered to be evaluated by courts but I’ve never seen a diagnosis. He’s always been a selfish idiot, that was obvious long before he started doing illegal and even dumber things

Advertisement
This ny99a don “look at me” his way out the **** NFL. He may or may not be suffering from some sort of mental illness, but that show as he left the field was pure “look at me”.

Friend, it is great to hear from you as well.

I am very glad you were able to turn your terrible situation into a good one for your children. However, anecdotal evidence is just that - anecdotal - and your situation is not the same as others.

It is difficult for ANY individual to do well in life without a decent amount of work and effort. Even for those luckily enough to be born into fortunate situations, hard work and motivation are required for reaching their goals.

But for those starting with much less, hard work and initiative alone do not guarantee any success. They are essentially being asked to climb up the stairs of the Statue of Liberty while having their legs tied together.

It’s not impossible, but it is very difficult.

Anyway, I don’t want to dampen the mood of this beautiful Sunday with a tempestuous discussion about politics and the intersectionality of poverty + race + mental health.

I hope you have a wonderful day.

:)
👌🏿You as well!

I don’t know why y’all going off on the ninjah, mafukkas quit jobs all the time and say **** you to everyone! When a pro athlete does it he crazy lol. Vontae Davis did it midgame too and mufukkas applauded him. He may be a bit off but you can’t say he quit because he crazy, you don’t know what he going through.
Checks history in the Google machine to see if this ever happened before with a pro athlete….

Sorry you’re right - Yes pro athletes do this all the time …

Uh wait.

Advertisement
While I agree w/ u, there’s a difference between mental health & someone refusing to get help.

I’ll give u an example of Brandon Marshall for instance; he realized something was wrong w/ him & he sought help. The results? Although he wasn’t the same WR in Denver, he became a solid teammate, leader, & is now enjoying the 2nd half of a career in the media.

Now I’ll give u an example of my lil cousin who’s been diagnosed w/ schizophrenia. He has good days & bad days, but his bad days r becoming more prevalent. Why? B/c he refuse to take his medication. When he has bad days, he’s pacified & excused by my family saying “he’s struggling w/ mental issues.” That’s bull chit; of course he is, but the lil ******* refuse to get help & uses mental health for his actions.

A.B has more resources than most who suffer from mental illness. He’s been given more excuses & chances b/c of his talent. When chit was hitting the fan, he used mental health as a reason. OK, cool; but, what r u doing to help stabilize urself? It’s like an obese person saying I need to lose weight; OK, great…now what r u doing about it? If u keep eating at McD’s, then I’m not going to feel empathy for u. My empathy for AB has left. If he was seeking help, which from my understanding he started then stopped, then I can’t feel sorry for him.

My personal opinion is he suffers from more of a borderline personality disorder like narcissism. He shows eery traits like my ex. More attention seeking, hard to give criticism to, always someone else’s fault, justifies behavior, gives empty apologies, and makes a spectacle to make a point w/o considering how actions affects others b/c it’s about them in that moment.
My ex had borderline personality disorder. Reading the book "Walking on Eggshells" blew my ******* mind.

Advertisement
I don’t know why y’all going off on the ninjah, mafukkas quit jobs all the time and say **** you to everyone! When a pro athlete does it he crazy lol. Vontae Davis did it midgame too and mufukkas applauded him. He may be a bit off but you can’t say he quit because he crazy, you don’t know what he going through.
Agree. Just because a person has a meltdown doesn't mean they're crazy. That said, with his history of erratic behavior, the hope is that he will seek help at some point. And if he chooses not to, I respect that choice as long as he's not a danger to himself or others

Checks history in the Google machine to see if this ever happened before with a pro athlete….

Sorry you’re right - Yes pro athletes do this all the time …

Uh wait.
Reading comprehension..
I did not say pro athletes do it all the time I said everyday people quit their jobs and say **** you to everyone working that day.. and I gave the only example of a pro athlete I recall (Vontae Davis) who quit mid game.

Advertisement
When a person is enabled to be the way they are there's no incentive to change the way they are.... Antonio has had things handed to him for a long while incident after incident so why in his eyes should he stop??? If his career is over now then we'll see what happens next, hopefully for his sake nothing bad....

The craziest part is there's tons of people defending him trying to say the bucs benched him to avoid paying incentives in his contract. Nevermind that he got himself suspended for 3 games for his fake vaccine card or has a history of crazy behavior.

I absolutely get your point of view and experiences too. I think what we've seen and will see in this thread is really an unanswerable debate about mental health in relation to conduct though too.

I mean at the end of the day if you really wanted to couldn't you argue that most perpetrators of serious crimes are suffering from some sort of mental health issue?

Couldn't you pretty much say that when someone refuses to seek help or take their meds that those actions (or inactions) can be tied to their mental health issues too?

In no way shape or form am I pretending to be a mental health expert. Someone refusing to take their meds could definitely be a sign of such. The fact is, mental health issues is so broad. Some have no control, while others do have control but just don’t give a ****. That’s why mental health can consist of “borderline” personality disorders. Just speaking on my ex, she knew what she was doing, including making herself sick for attention. It worked. Making herself a victim in all situations, it worked. Gaslighting ppl to make them feel guilty or question themselves. It worked. So yeah, she suffers from mental illness, but she’s also aware of what she does b/c any attention is good attention.

I noticed w/ AB, any attention was good attention. Whether that was having a haircut like Demolition Man, or Nino Brown from New Jack City…wearing a fur coat on the sideline, having a fit for not getting the ball when JuJu started to arrive as a complimentary WR, having a fit over his helmet in Oakland…anything that put him in the spotlight, it was OK. To me, again not an expert just an opinion, looked more borderline personality of the narcissist variety.

Either way, hope someone in his circle draw the line to help him.

Advertisement
Back