OT: 75th Anniversary of D-Day

HurricaneU

American Patriot
Just wanted to take a moment to recognize and observe the sacrifice our grandfathers, grandmothers, brothers and sisters, aunts, uncles, neighbors and friends made this day 75 years ago on the beaches across Normandy, France.

Sacrifice is the word that always comes to mind when I think of this day.

I think its important to remember our shared history - the good, the bad and the heroic.

Thank you to the Greatest Generation.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Just wanted to take a moment to recognize and observe the sacrifice our grandfathers, grandmothers, brothers and sisters, aunts, uncles, neighbors and friends made this day 75 years ago on the beaches across Normandy, France.

Sacrifice is the word that always comes to mind when I think of this day.

I think its important to remember our shared history - the good, the bad and the heroic.

Thank you to the Greatest Generation.

God bless them ALL! They will NEVER be FORGOTTEN! The USA is the Land of the Free because of the many, many sacrifices of the courageous and valiant Brave!!

Well said, OP.

The Greatest Generation had hero blood and were willing to put in any effort and make any sacrifice while defeating one of the greatest evils the world has ever seen. And now a generation is being raised that can't handle "microaggressions", demands safe spaces, and literally searches for things to be offended about on a daily basis. It's actually quite sad.

My Father-in-Law, Bill Sullivan, ex-US Marine, was on Iwo Jima the day the flag went up. Helluva guy! He used to razz me about being ex-Navy. I'd razz him back with this question: "What happened Dad, you couldn't pass the Navy entrance exam?" May he rest in peace!

Advertisement

The ULTIMATE sacrifice

Three years ago my friends and I visited those beaches where the allied soldiers came out of landing crafts to courageously run into face of flying German bullets and shells. I stood on Juno Beach where my fellow Canadians went there to make their ultimate sacrifice and I thought about how brave and unselfish they were 75 years ago.

Advertisement
Well said, OP.

The Greatest Generation had hero blood and were willing to put in any effort and make any sacrifice while defeating one of the greatest evils the world has ever seen. And now a generation is being raised that can't handle "microaggressions", demands safe spaces, and literally searches for things to be offended about on a daily basis. It's actually quite sad.

Thanks baby boomers

Well said, OP.

Completely agree with what you (and everyone else) has said about The Greatest Generation. I even understand and agree with some of the stuff you're saying about younger generations but if you start throwing stones then I reallllllly hope you're not a Boomer because they are the WORST generation.

Last edited:
My father, RIP, was in the Navy during WW II and he was always reluctant to talk about it, I pressed him one day as a kid and he told me the story of his ship trying to rescue fellow sailors from a ship that had been hit, he said he'd never forget sticking his arm over the side to help pull a midshipman up and his burnt skin sliding off of his arm and hand...I never asked again.

Advertisement
Three years ago my friends and I visited those beaches where the allied soldiers came out of landing crafts to courageously run into face of flying German bullets and shells. I stood on Juno Beach where my fellow Canadians went there to make their ultimate sacrifice and I thought about how brave and unselfish they were 75 years ago.
Visiting there is on my bucket list. I'm hoping to make the trip with my father while I still have him.

Completely agree with what you (and everyone else) has said about The Greatest Generation. I even understand and agree with some of the stuff you're saying about younger generations but if you start throwing stones then I reallllllly hope you're not a Boomer because they are the WORST generation.
I was born in 1979, so I am not a Baby Boomer. Although the reality is every generation has good people and bad people. Everyone in The Greatest Generation wasn't perfect and wasn't a hero; and there are plenty of brave and noble men and women in the current young generations. Very few blanket generalizations are true across the board. One of my best friends is Army SF and I can promise you he is not one shred less of an incredible human being as those men were who charged the beaches of Normandy 75 years ago.

I was speaking moreso as a generality. It absolutely boggles my mind the issues that so many of the current young generation whip themselves into a frenzy over. There are kids these days that choose to spend their time at college protesting the school's mascot instead of enjoying the experience and enriching their lives. WTF! I agree the Baby Boomers planted many of those seeds. But in my opinion, it is much more a result of the fact the current generation(s) as a whole weren't forced to deal with true struggle as a society to the level the Greatest Generation did and those before it. You know where the parents of The Greatest Generation came from? The freakin Great Depression! So it's not surprising nor a coincidence that those people's children were raised with an extremely strong work ethic and a willingness to sacrifice. Many millennials were born into and still exist in a world that doesn't present challenges to the level of the Great Depression or WWII. They've never known anything other than their world of comfort, materialism, social media and instant gratification. That's not their fault by any means, nor does it in any way apply across the board to all, but IMO it is the core of why so many young people are the way they are. People at the turn of the 20th century had to deal with famine, as in famine so bad your children may literally starve to death if you don't work your *** off every day - and even that might not be enough. The Greatest Generation had to defeat the ***** and Japanese in horrific hand-to-hand combat on foreign lands. Now we have young people today who think the biggest strife in life is the fact someone who purchases an NBA team is referred to as an "owner".

It is oftentimes necessity and struggle that make a man. Many of those soldiers were not heroes on June 5th of 1944, but they became heroes the next day when those landing craft doors opened. IMO, realities/comforts of modern day society, and the fact so few American citizens actually feel the impact of true struggles like war and are able to remain mostly disconnected from it (not the case at all back then; WWII affected the entire nation on a daily basis) plays a huge part in why a large swath of our current society, particularly its youth, seems to spend every day literally SEEKING OUT new things to clutch their pearls over.

My father volunteered straight out of high school in 1943 and the Army decided he'd make a great engineer, so off to Maine he went. After the spring term of 44, the Army decided infantrymen were more needed than engineers so back to training and then off to Europe on a ship with hundreds of others. He was in Patton's Third Army and drove the Red Ball, then fought in the Bulge. My father missed D-Day by 3 months and was very thankful to have done so, despite all the other horrors he went through.

He later got a master's in economics from NYU and had a great career, but those few years in Europe were what he reflected on as he aged. It defined his entire generation. He passed away in February of 2017 and not a day goes by that I don't wish he was still here. All those stories he told and I had heard so many times that I stopped pay attention are all gone now.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back