OT: 75th Anniversary of D-Day

HurricaneU

Senior
Just wanted to take a moment to recognize and observe the sacrifice our grandfathers, grandmothers, brothers and sisters, aunts, uncles, neighbors and friends made this day 75 years ago on the beaches across Normandy, France.

Sacrifice is the word that always comes to mind when I think of this day.

I think its important to remember our shared history - the good, the bad and the heroic.

Thank you to the Greatest Generation.

TheU 4ever

Sophomore
Just wanted to take a moment to recognize and observe the sacrifice our grandfathers, grandmothers, brothers and sisters, aunts, uncles, neighbors and friends made this day 75 years ago on the beaches across Normandy, France.

Sacrifice is the word that always comes to mind when I think of this day.

I think its important to remember our shared history - the good, the bad and the heroic.

Thank you to the Greatest Generation.
God bless them ALL! They will NEVER be FORGOTTEN! The USA is the Land of the Free because of the many, many sacrifices of the courageous and valiant Brave!!

For_The_U

Senior
Well said, OP.

The Greatest Generation had hero blood and were willing to put in any effort and make any sacrifice while defeating one of the greatest evils the world has ever seen. And now a generation is being raised that can't handle "microaggressions", demands safe spaces, and literally searches for things to be offended about on a daily basis. It's actually quite sad.

My Father-in-Law, Bill Sullivan, ex-US Marine, was on Iwo Jima the day the flag went up. Helluva guy! He used to razz me about being ex-Navy. I'd razz him back with this question: "What happened Dad, you couldn't pass the Navy entrance exam?" May he rest in peace!

djh

Sophomore
Three years ago my friends and I visited those beaches where the allied soldiers came out of landing crafts to courageously run into face of flying German bullets and shells. I stood on Juno Beach where my fellow Canadians went there to make their ultimate sacrifice and I thought about how brave and unselfish they were 75 years ago.

dwreck27

Senior
Well said, OP.

The Greatest Generation had hero blood and were willing to put in any effort and make any sacrifice while defeating one of the greatest evils the world has ever seen. And now a generation is being raised that can't handle "microaggressions", demands safe spaces, and literally searches for things to be offended about on a daily basis. It's actually quite sad.
Thanks baby boomers

Tad Footeball

1996 Interim Big East Conference Commissioner
Well said, OP.

Completely agree with what you (and everyone else) has said about The Greatest Generation. I even understand and agree with some of the stuff you're saying about younger generations but if you start throwing stones then I reallllllly hope you're not a Boomer because they are the WORST generation.

Last edited:

QuatroCane

Junior
My father, RIP, was in the Navy during WW II and he was always reluctant to talk about it, I pressed him one day as a kid and he told me the story of his ship trying to rescue fellow sailors from a ship that had been hit, he said he'd never forget sticking his arm over the side to help pull a midshipman up and his burnt skin sliding off of his arm and hand...I never asked again.

For_The_U

Senior
Three years ago my friends and I visited those beaches where the allied soldiers came out of landing crafts to courageously run into face of flying German bullets and shells. I stood on Juno Beach where my fellow Canadians went there to make their ultimate sacrifice and I thought about how brave and unselfish they were 75 years ago.
Visiting there is on my bucket list. I'm hoping to make the trip with my father while I still have him.

Tetragrammaton Cane

Bandwagon Driverless
Last edited:

Tetragrammaton Cane

Bandwagon Driverless