OT - 49ers vs. Lions - NFC Championship

I actually would’ve argued that going for it on the two 4th downs were a better decision than not taking that FG before the half.

Dude would’ve been nuts to not get any points there and then also have the 49ers get the 2nd half kick off.

Going for a TD on 4th down prior to the half would’ve been coaching malpractice. That’s not coaching scared. That’s coaching smart vs some cowboys shooting off the hip.
Looking at Shanahans call to get 3 points to start the 2nd half. They needed 7 badly. They couldn’t stop Detroit at all and he said as much that he wanted to go for it. But he took the points because they needed something there. Sometimes you just gotta put some points on the board

Advertisement
The worst decision by Campbell was running the ball on 3rd and goal instead of preserving all three timeouts. If you're going to run the ball, save it for 4th down.

That was flat out inexcusable.
I agree this was by far the worst game-management decision and it wasn't close at all. Though that is Ben Johnson that is the play caller. Or maybe it was Goff checking to it, we really don't know.

Dan Campbell made Mario look like Vince Lombardi today. I bet the Motown Records artist rolling ova in ney grave right now
Goodfellas GIF

Looking at Shanahans call to get 3 points to start the 2nd half. They needed 7 badly. They couldn’t stop Detroit at all and he said as much that he wanted to go for it. But he took the points because they needed something there. Sometimes you just gotta put some points on the board
Let’s agree for a second with @calinative umstudent on the first 4th down that it was a good call regardless of the outcome. Fine. You win that one Cali.

But then, you are now down by 3 with 5 or 6 minutes. Whatever it was and 3 timeouts.

It comes down to number of possessions left. Likely 2. So you tie game and San Fran gets ball. They either score a TD, FG or Punt. Regardless, you have the ball last to either tie the game or win the game.

Those are the odds he should’ve played.

Advertisement
Advertisement
I agree this was by far the worst game-management decision and it wasn't close at all. Though that is Ben Johnson that is the play caller. Or maybe it was Goff checking to it, we really don't know.
My guess it was Johnson since Montgomery came in for the play.

Let’s agree for a second with @calinative umstudent on the first 4th down that it was a good call regardless of the outcome. Fine. You win that one Cali.

But then, you are now down by 3 with 5 or 6 minutes. Whatever it was and 3 timeouts.

It comes down to number of possessions left. Likely 2. So you tie game and San Fran gets ball. They either score a TD, FG or Punt. Regardless, you have the ball last to either tie the game or win the game.

Those are the odds he should’ve played.
Unless the 49ers offense which was absolutely rolling killed the clock on the way to their TD that they had all momentum in the world of getting. What you are basically saying is they should have Relied on ONE chance with their offense to go down and answer without knowing how much time they'd have left. What he was deciding is that he'd rather leave it up to the offense then and there to win the game. And if they failed to get it, they know exactly what they need to do still.

Its similar to going for 2 on the first TD when down 14/15 at end of game.

Advertisement
Unless the 49ers offense which was absolutely rolling killed the clock on the way to their TD that they had all momentum in the world of getting. What you are basically saying is they should have Relied on ONE chance with their offense to go down and answer without knowing how much time they'd have left. What he was deciding is that he'd rather leave it up to the offense then and there to win the game. And if they failed to get it, they know exactly what they need to do still.

Its similar to going for 2 on the first TD when down 14/15 at end of game.
Dude - you think San Fran was going to kill 6 minutes of clock and Detroit never gets the ball back with 3 timeouts and the 2 minute warning?

No way in ****. Tell me the last time an NFL team closed out a game in the way you are proposing?

Crushed the ******* over and plus 7…. Side note Dan Campbell should’ve been fired after that Dallas game. Holy **** no dog in this fight **** he was doing was worse than cristobal.

Dude - you think San Fran was going to kill 6 minutes of clock and Detroit never gets the ball back with 3 timeouts and the 2 minute warning?

No way in ****. Tell me the last time an NFL team closed out a game in the way you are proposing?
200.gif

Advertisement

I'm not saying close out in the sense they fully end it. I'm saying what if they are able to kill time down to like 1:20 and get Lions to waste timeouts? Tha'ts not a great situation either.

And then if Lions score are you then also going to kill them for going for 2 pt conversion? like The point I'm making is you're more annoyed about the timing of when they go for it, even though it's better to go for it early and fail then know what you have to do later on to offset that failure... Thats exactly why if you're down 15 it absolutely makes sense to go for the 2pt on the first td. Cause if you fail you know you still need 2 scores... whereas if you kick pat then go for 2pt on second td you likely ****ed yourself with clock management and lost the game outright...

Advertisement
Back