OT - 49ers vs. Lions - NFC Championship

What's the limit on reporting? @RVACane
recess GIF
you deserve better. I was hoping to see your team in there after all these years.

Advertisement
I am sorry? Did the Lions actually miss a FG that I didn’t see?

The not going for the FG and taking a 24 point lead then giving the 49ers the short field to get a TD led to the fumble and then everything else after that.

Then you still had a chance to tie the game and he went for it instead of taking a 48 yd FG with 5 minutes and 3 timeouts left. That led to another TD.
and what you don't seem to get is they haven't trusted their kickers all season, and they've been playing this way all season. And it's got them to where they are. They were NOT bad decisions. You can argue either way about it, but it wasn't BAD decision making to go for it when they did. He put the players in the situations to win the game. He didn't call for them to fumble. He didn't call for the DBs to drop 2 passes Purdy threw directly to them. He didn't call for all the drops. There were like 5 in the 2nd half that could have been GAME-Changing completions.

It was a collective collapse. The decisions to go for it on 4th isn't as bad as a WR dropping wide *** open passes.

Advertisement
The FG from that distance was no gimmie....

judgment call on going for FG or moving the chains...

they move the chains then get TD...Lions probably win the game...
Perhaps.

The point is you go and try to go up 3 scores. Not everything, especially in the playoffs needs to be full throttle especially on the play call. That dude ended up dropping two big passes.

I gotta wake up tomorrow to Dan Campbell and Mario Cristobal.

Dan Campbell took that team as far as they were going to go. No need to hate on the man. Celebrate your season. If I were to axe you back in August what your expectations were for the Lions this season, what would you have said? Im guessing something less than the NFC Championship game.

Advertisement
Dan Campbell took that team as far as they were going to go. No need to hate on the man. Celebrate your season. If I were to axe you back in August what your expectations were for the Lions this season, what would you have said? Im guessing something less than the NFC Championship game.
No offense, please stfu. I do not ever accept morale victories. Detroit choked that is the only answer and someone should be held accountable.

No offense, please stfu. I do not ever accept morale victories. Detroit choked that is the only answer and someone should be held accountable.

They did not choke anything away. They over-achieved in the first half. The second half was a reversion to the mean.

Cream eventually rises to the top. That's what happened tonight.

Yes. The Chiefs D wont be able to stop the Niners. The Niners D will be able to slow the Chefs offense enough.

It’s the good guys year. The only way the Chefs win is if the league predetermines it, which would not surprise me. The allure of merch sales to Trailer Swift fans might be too much for the league to walk away from. We'll see.
I have no dog in the fight, so for your sake I hope you’re right. But IMO It’ll be a 2020 repeat.

Advertisement
I blame Dan Campbell for listening to @calinative umstudent on the head set.

Is this what you told yourself when Shanahan choked the supebowl vs KC? I guess it kinda paid off since he got you back there. Better hope he wins it this time.

Advertisement
I blame Dan Campbell for listening to @calinative umstudent on the head set.
The thing is I wouldn't hate going for FG or going for it. I think that decision can be argued correct either way. More times than not, it works out better to go for it more often - especially after factoring in how little they trust their kicker.

I mean what if the Lions went for a TD at the end of the first half instead of kicking that fg and got it? They were at the 3... Maybe that would have killed the 49ers... All these what ifs. but we know there were actual on field plays that were there to be had, but poor execution in catching the ball killed them...

And no matter what Gibbs fumbling that ball was worse than Both 4th down decisions combined, regardless how much you disliked those decisions.

The worst decision by Campbell was running the ball on 3rd and goal instead of preserving all three timeouts. If you're going to run the ball, save it for 4th down.

That was flat out inexcusable.

The thing is I wouldn't hate going for FG or going for it. I think that decision can be argued correct either way. More times than not, it works out better to go for it more often - especially after factoring in how little they trust their kicker.

I mean what if the Lions went for a TD at the end of the first half instead of kicking that fg and got it? They were at the 3... Maybe that would have killed the 49ers... All these what ifs. but we know there were actual on field plays that were there to be had, but poor execution in catching the ball killed them...

And no matter what Gibbs fumbling that ball was worse than Both 4th down decisions combined, regardless how much you disliked those decisions.
I actually would’ve argued that going for it on the two 4th downs were a better decision than not taking that FG before the half.

Dude would’ve been nuts to not get any points there and then also have the 49ers get the 2nd half kick off.

Going for a TD on 4th down prior to the half would’ve been coaching malpractice. That’s not coaching scared. That’s coaching smart vs some cowboys shooting off the hip.

Advertisement
Back