Orlando Franklin and Erik Flowers....

Po
Your stock doesn't drop from moving to a more athletic position.

If he was a "potential top 50 pick" at Guard then playing Tackle (a more athletic position) would only help his stock.

And NFL coaches have access to all of Washington's film. They could watch every play he had at Guard.

Absolutely. If he was a stud he was a stud. You think the nfl couldn't assess his best position?
Moving to tackle could have MADE him money if he excelled at that too. Maybe the pouting cost him, not Al. His job is to try to get the best players on the field. With the loss of Seantrel he made a reasonable move, which Kehoe most likely backed.
This f#€€in board!!

Because the NFL is 100% accurate with the draft choices......
What does that mean?

Advertisement
Po
Your stock doesn't drop from moving to a more athletic position.

If he was a "potential top 50 pick" at Guard then playing Tackle (a more athletic position) would only help his stock.

And NFL coaches have access to all of Washington's film. They could watch every play he had at Guard.

Absolutely. If he was a stud he was a stud. You think the nfl couldn't assess his best position?
Moving to tackle could have MADE him money if he excelled at that too. Maybe the pouting cost him, not Al. His job is to try to get the best players on the field. With the loss of Seantrel he made a reasonable move, which Kehoe most likely backed.
This f#€€in board!!

Because the NFL is 100% accurate with the draft choices......
What does that mean?

It's pretty self explanatory, but to break it down, the NFL misses on their draft picks pretty often. They are not perfect.

That's fine by all normal standards, but I know what I read, I know what I saw, and it wouldn't be the first guy Golden has caused a fall in his draft stock.

You're also comparing Feliciano who was drafted a senior playing 39 starts at LG and 7 at the Tackle spots in his time here (spot duty in his draft notes). At best he was an honorable mention for All ACC. There was consistency at one position over the majority of his time here which is what scouts are going to review. His lack of Athleticism was also noted as a weakness for the draft which became abundantly clear while he was playing tackle.

Compare that to Washington who was a sophomore when he was First team All ACC, on multiple award watch lists and constantly grading out over 90% at guard and then asked to start an entire season at Tackle his Junior year before going pro, a season in which his coach constantly threw him under the bus. To say that the most recent season does not stand out over game tape is a joke as you see how many guys stay an extra year somewhere and freefall in a draft from a bad year.

Again there's what should normally happen (review history/tapes) and then there is what happened here. I even bolded it for you man. Now you got me wasting time proving a point I already provided evidence for. Take it how you want.

Ok, so then what's Washington's problem right now? Is Golden still holding him back from being a stud Guard?
I never said he would be all world in the pros, I just said Golden cost him some draft stock. Even guys who excel in college don't always do well in the pros.

You're right! Robert Gallery is a good example. I get was Machado is saying but there's no way to explain going from All-ACC guard to barely getting drafted. I was a huge fan of Feliciano but he struggled more than Washington at tackle. He had issues false starting at tackle. We can't say if this player was a stud in college then they should be one in the pros. I mean explain to me why Brett Romberg and Honzalez was all-pro players. If that was the case the term bust would not exist. And Tony Rice, Tim Tebow, Yim Couch, Ryan Leaf and Peter Warrick would be stars. A player can be good in college but bad in the pros, however a player can't be bad in college but good in the pros.

Feliciano was wayyyy better at Tackle than Washington. He was one of Miami's highest grading lineman during his tenure at Miami. Only OL that graded higher on a regular basis was Linder.

And everybody false started at RT here. It was due to the silent count. False starting isn't "struggling" at playing a position.

Please provide a link to their grades.

In no way am I saying Washington is all world or is or would have been a superstar in NFL. I'm saying Washington was pretty **** good in college despite people forgetting that. He had flaws, no doubt. He was definitely not a tackle, but the kid had some hype and was hurt by moving to tackle whether you believe it or not.

I didn't even talk about false starting. I was more referring to the fact that in the previous post I made where it's stated that he was continuously beat by more athletic DE and it's off a small sample size.

Here's a few more snippets for you prior to the draft.

Brandon Washington*, G/OT, Miami
Height: 6-4. Weight: 320.
Projected 40 Time: 5.21.
Projected Round (2012): 4-5.
12/13/11: After being an All-ACC pick last year at guard, Miami moved Washington to left tackle after Seantrel Henderson was injured. Washington had a mixed season at left tackle. He did a quality job of run blocking for Hurricanes running back Lamar Miller. Washington has a nice combination of power and mobility, but belongs on the inside. Head coach Al Golden was openly critical of Washington after he struggled against North Carolina and defensive end Quinton Coples. Washington took offense at his coaches' criticism, but remained the starter at left tackle. He has some talent, and his situation at Miami looks murky. Washington should return to school.

8/17/10: Brandon Washington has the size and athleticism to be a starting guard in the NFL. He is a pretty good pass blocker and packs a nice punch as a run blocker. Washington plays with a mean streak and was twice named the ACC Offensive Lineman of the Week in his first year as a starter. He was an All-ACC first-team guard last season.

Here's another one:

At Miami (FL) -- (Official School Bio) 2011: Started all 12 games of the season for the Hurricanes... Made the shift from left guard to left tackle for his junior campaign... Finished the year with an overall grade of 86 percent... Made only five mental errors over the course of the season, and registered only three penalties against. 2010: One of three offensive linemen to start all 13 games... Second on the team with 56 pancake blocks, and 11 lumberjack blocks... Graded out at 99 percent against Pittsburgh, the highest grade of any starter all season... Graded out at 95 percent against Virginia Tech... Earned ACC Offensive Lineman of the Week honors after Virginia Tech (loss) and Duke (win) games... Leader of Miami offensive line that earned more weekly honors than any school in the league during the 2010 season. 2009: Played in all 13 games mainly on the place-kicking unit, but made first career start at left guard against USF while playing 53 snaps and grading out at 90 percent with five pancake blocks.

From Mel Kiper:

Kiper

One of the best drafts in terms of lining up needs and getting guys at spots where I didn't think they'd still be around. They moved up to get Fletcher Cox, an immediate starter. Mychal Kendricks is a perfect fit, and at No. 46, a really good value. The Eagles look a lot better up the middle after this weekend. If Vinny Curry came off the board really early in the second round, nobody would have been surprised, so to get him at No. 59 is a steal. Nick Foles has the upside of an NFL starter, and Andy Reid could turn him into something. Brandon Boykin is my No. 9-ranked corner, so I love the value as a fourth-rounder. I thought they might get a tackle earlier, but it's hard to quibble given the value they got with every pick early on. I love this draft, and Bryce Brown will be an interesting story if he sticks. Keep an eye on Brandon Washington, a sixth-rounder with the upside of a starter at guard.
Needs - A, Value - A-, Overall - A

From Football Nation:

Eagles selected Brandon Washington, G, Miami, 200th overall (from Patriots)

Wow! This guy was a freak in college. Washington has very good speed for a OL and understands blocking assignments very well. He also has pretty good size and strength. If given time to develop and transition to the pro-level, Washington should become an all-pro G. Not to mention, he never missed a game and even filled in at RT sometimes.

Grade for this pick - B

For those with revisionist history that forgot the hype people had on Washington back then, here are a few other forums to see fan reactions at that time.

NFL Forum :: - Brandon Washington G/T Miami
Eagles draft Brandon Washington, OG, Miami - 6th rd, 200 overall

Macho you want it, go ahead. I'm done with it. You're right. Golden has never cost a player draft stock. Washington was obviously a bum in college.

Last edited:
I can't believe you skirts are really having this conversation.

I am a Miami Hurricane Fan. I care about Miami Hurricanes. I care how the players play while at Miami. I don't care about Miami being a Farm team for the @#$%@#$^#$%^#$%^#$%^#$%^# Rams!!!

If a player is here on Scholarship and Golden asks him to be Punter he better get 4 seconds of hang time. Are you Washington's agent? Do you think pro scouts really publish their real thoughts to mags? Do you think Pro scouts can not figure things out from years of game tape from sideline and endzone copy? They can not figure it out from Indy, Miami Pro days, or the numerous individual NFL team workouts? Are you Duke Johnsons Mommy?

That was some high level stupidity right there. Last time I checked, college football is a farm system for all NFL teams. Last time I checked every kid's goal was to get to the pros. Last time I checked, Brandon Washington was a nationally recognized Guard while playing at Miami, until he moved to Tackle. Last time I checked, being a combine superstar does not make you an elite football player (anyone remember Darius Heyward Bey).

If a kid comes here and Golden puts him out of position and expects 4 seconds of hang time, you may very well have figured out why we can't get the top recruits. Your rationale falls just in line with Golden's and is exactly why we just went 6-7 and is exactly why we keep losing local talent to other schools. Seriously, I actually laughed when I read your comment about a player better be a punter if Golden says so. I'm pretty sure the top players are going to say **** that and leave home to continue to go to Alabama, FSU, UF etc.

Again, pro scouts priority is going to be the most recent tape. Players change over time, especially college kids. By your rationale, they should just judge every player based on his best year and ignore flaws that were revealed in their senior year. I don't care why they said it, if they said it. Not sure what a scout who has already drafted him has to gain by even saying that at all as opposed to anything else. You have a kid who graded out in the 90's pretty much every game in one spot and gets national recognition and hype of his draft potential followed by a poor season out of position and a huge fall in which the team that drafts him says him playing out of position is to blame. Sounds pretty reasonable to me, but hey interpret it how you want.

Not really sure why you brought up Duke Johnson when he was not even mentioned here? I understand though. I know the Golden Girls have to defend their man at all costs including throwing players under the bus.

The scouts watch all the tape they can get. You really think they watched the tape of him at tackle and said "I'm Out"?

I was not doubting that the NCAA is a psydo farm system for the NFL. I just care more about Miami players and how they play at Miami than I do after. If the need is for the best 5 lineman on the field at that means Washington moves to Tackle then so be it.

And do you really think Alabama and Nick Saban or OSU and Meyer let the kids decide where they are going to play? You think a Guard is going to tell Saban to ***** off at playing tackle because he is going to play Guard in the NFL? Is that how it works at the elite schools.

You all hate Golden for the 6-7 season and I get that. he could have been removed last year and not many would have screamed for him that he should have been able to stay. But to go to things like this and say THIS is the reasons why Golden sucks just don't hold merit. I have plenty of red flags on him myself but just because I thought he should have this 5th year to really show where the program is going does not make me a slurper. But if anyone does not show out as much HATE for the man and thus is not a true CANE then so be it.

throw the kids under the bus

As far as not caring about miami players once they leave here, then why are you still in this thread discussing a former player?

throwing a former player under the bus QUOTE]

Who is throwing people under buses? Why is everyone using this term? Nobody is saying Washington should not be in the league. I never said I don't care about kids who go on to the NFL. Never said that. What I said is that I care MORE about what they do at the U. If Washington has to play Guard one game and Tackle the next so be it. It is for the team. It will always be about the team. If your not for the team then what does that make you? IF your not for the team and playing the position that is best for the team what does that make you?

Nobody I have read on any board is saying Chick was a me guy. So he is losing 30 pounds and playing another position on a different style of the 3-4. Good for him. Nobody "Throwing him under the proverbial bus". Everyone is happy to see him. But lets not kid ourselves. He was playing as a Freshman but he was better as a senior. No 4-3 team was going to reach for him even after his All star game performance. They were all able to measure him. Are people mad that he was not able to get all the sacks they expected him to get. Is that why we are all so upset? Because sacks were not the problem with this D last year. Run support vs teams with Big OL's dominated us.

Read the threads. Don't try and read into the thread. Nothing is there. We both want the same thing and that is to win games. Does it matter how that gets done? Does it matter who is coaching the winning team?

As for Dorsett. Does everyone really think the coaches were intentionally trying not to throw him the ball? I saw Dorsett get over thrown a lot. He was not the Primary every play is that the problem? Am I now running over Dorsett with this Bus? Well how can we get Dorsett the ball deep with Safeties over the top leaving Walford wide open underneath? How are we suppose to throw it to Dorsett and hand off to Duke at the same time? Our QB was limited with plays last year. There I go again running over our players with a bus.

I hope the best for all the former Miami players. Same as everyone else on this board.

10 wins for the Miami.........Hurricanes.

I am a Miami Hurricane Fan. I care about Miami Hurricanes. I care how the players play while at Miami. I don't care about Miami being a Farm team for the @#$%@#$^#$%^#$%^#$%^#$%^# Rams!!!

If a player is here on Scholarship and Golden asks him to be Punter he better get 4 seconds of hang time. Are you Washington's agent? Do you think pro scouts really publish their real thoughts to mags? Do you think Pro scouts can not figure things out from years of game tape from sideline and endzone copy? They can not figure it out from Indy, Miami Pro days, or the numerous individual NFL team workouts? Are you Duke Johnsons Mommy?

That was some high level stupidity right there. Last time I checked, college football is a farm system for all NFL teams. Last time I checked every kid's goal was to get to the pros. Last time I checked, Brandon Washington was a nationally recognized Guard while playing at Miami, until he moved to Tackle. Last time I checked, being a combine superstar does not make you an elite football player (anyone remember Darius Heyward Bey).

If a kid comes here and Golden puts him out of position and expects 4 seconds of hang time, you may very well have figured out why we can't get the top recruits. Your rationale falls just in line with Golden's and is exactly why we just went 6-7 and is exactly why we keep losing local talent to other schools. Seriously, I actually laughed when I read your comment about a player better be a punter if Golden says so. I'm pretty sure the top players are going to say **** that and leave home to continue to go to Alabama, FSU, UF etc.

Again, pro scouts priority is going to be the most recent tape. Players change over time, especially college kids. By your rationale, they should just judge every player based on his best year and ignore flaws that were revealed in their senior year. I don't care why they said it, if they said it. Not sure what a scout who has already drafted him has to gain by even saying that at all as opposed to anything else. You have a kid who graded out in the 90's pretty much every game in one spot and gets national recognition and hype of his draft potential followed by a poor season out of position and a huge fall in which the team that drafts him says him playing out of position is to blame. Sounds pretty reasonable to me, but hey interpret it how you want.

Not really sure why you brought up Duke Johnson when he was not even mentioned here? I understand though. I know the Golden Girls have to defend their man at all costs including throwing players under the bus.

The scouts watch all the tape they can get. You really think they watched the tape of him at tackle and said "I'm Out"?

I was not doubting that the NCAA is a psydo farm system for the NFL. I just care more about Miami players and how they play at Miami than I do after. If the need is for the best 5 lineman on the field at that means Washington moves to Tackle then so be it.

And do you really think Alabama and Nick Saban or OSU and Meyer let the kids decide where they are going to play? You think a Guard is going to tell Saban to ***** off at playing tackle because he is going to play Guard in the NFL? Is that how it works at the elite schools.

You all hate Golden for the 6-7 season and I get that. he could have been removed last year and not many would have screamed for him that he should have been able to stay. But to go to things like this and say THIS is the reasons why Golden sucks just don't hold merit. I have plenty of red flags on him myself but just because I thought he should have this 5th year to really show where the program is going does not make me a slurper. But if anyone does not show out as much HATE for the man and thus is not a true CANE then so be it.

As far as not caring about miami players once they leave here, then why are you still in this thread discussing a former player?

Who is throwing people under buses? Why is everyone using this term? Nobody is saying Washington should not be in the league. I never said I don't care about kids who go on to the NFL. Never said that. What I said is that I care MORE about what they do at the U. If Washington has to play Guard one game and Tackle the next so be it. It is for the team. It will always be about the team. If your not for the team then what does that make you? IF your not for the team and playing the position that is best for the team what does that make you?

Nobody I have read on any board is saying Chick was a me guy. So he is losing 30 pounds and playing another position on a different style of the 3-4. Good for him. Nobody "Throwing him under the proverbial bus". Everyone is happy to see him. But lets not kid ourselves. He was playing as a Freshman but he was better as a senior. No 4-3 team was going to reach for him even after his All star game performance. They were all able to measure him. Are people mad that he was not able to get all the sacks they expected him to get. Is that why we are all so upset? Because sacks were not the problem with this D last year. Run support vs teams with Big OL's dominated us.

Read the threads. Don't try and read into the thread. Nothing is there. We both want the same thing and that is to win games. Does it matter how that gets done? Does it matter who is coaching the winning team?

As for Dorsett. Does everyone really think the coaches were intentionally trying not to throw him the ball? I saw Dorsett get over thrown a lot. He was not the Primary every play is that the problem? Am I now running over Dorsett with this Bus? Well how can we get Dorsett the ball deep with Safeties over the top leaving Walford wide open underneath? How are we suppose to throw it to Dorsett and hand off to Duke at the same time? Our QB was limited with plays last year. There I go again running over our players with a bus.

I hope the best for all the former Miami players. Same as everyone else on this board.

You are rudebuddah's 2nd account.

:)

Advertisement

It's pointless trying to explain the primacy of an athlete being a productive college Football player at UM. This is not a college town and many have their interest in UM only for the Football. You're arguing with pigeons.

Ok, so then what's Washington's problem right now? Is Golden still holding him back from being a stud Guard?
I never said he would be all world in the pros, I just said Golden cost him some draft stock. Even guys who excel in college don't always do well in the pros.

You're right! Robert Gallery is a good example. I get was Machado is saying but there's no way to explain going from All-ACC guard to barely getting drafted. I was a huge fan of Feliciano but he struggled more than Washington at tackle. He had issues false starting at tackle. We can't say if this player was a stud in college then they should be one in the pros. I mean explain to me why Brett Romberg and Honzalez was all-pro players. If that was the case the term bust would not exist. And Tony Rice, Tim Tebow, Yim Couch, Ryan Leaf and Peter Warrick would be stars. A player can be good in college but bad in the pros, however a player can't be bad in college but good in the pros.

Feliciano was wayyyy better at Tackle than Washington. He was one of Miami's highest grading lineman during his tenure at Miami. Only OL that graded higher on a regular basis was Linder.

And everybody false started at RT here. It was due to the silent count. False starting isn't "struggling" at playing a position.

I'm not reading all that mumbo jumbo. It's irrelevant. All that is, is somebody else's opinion.

I don't have a link to their grades because they were told to me personally after most of the games, I didn't read them anywhere.

You're saying that the NFL can be wrong at times but then you turn around and cite random analysis from various people, one of which is from Football Nation, who I can tell doesn't know WTF they're talking about.

What doesn't have any bias, however, is history. And recent history has shown that Washington isn't as good as you thought he was. If he was HE WOULD'VE TAKEN HIS PLACE AT THE TABLE BY NOW. Is Golden haunting him at Ram's practices? What's stopping him from working his way into an NFL starting line-up?

I'm not reading all that mumbo jumbo. It's irrelevant. All that is, is somebody else's opinion.

I don't have a link to their grades because they were told to me personally after most of the games, I didn't read them anywhere.

You're saying that the NFL can be wrong at times but then you turn around and cite random analysis from various people, one of which is from Football Nation, who I can tell doesn't know WTF they're talking about.

What doesn't have any bias, however, is history. And recent history has shown that Washington isn't as good as you thought he was. If he was HE WOULD'VE TAKEN HIS PLACE AT THE TABLE BY NOW. Is Golden haunting him at Ram's practices? What's stopping him from working his way into an NFL starting line-up?
You keep arguing a point that im not arguing. I'm not talking about what he's doing now. I'm talking about where he was at then. You don't want to read opinions that are coming from people evaluating the kids about to get drafted, but they are relevant because it dictates what the thoughts about him were which is my point. I love when people say they won't read presented facts, because the argument is officially over for me. Someone who only addresses what they want is not worth discussing it with. You only address football nation but ignore cbs, espn, nfl.com, miami Herald, and even the teams profile. Throughout these posts are multiple references. The common themes are

-National recognition as one ofthe best guards
-Not as good at tackle
-Draft stock was hurt because he was played at tackle.
-people considered him a steal in the 6th round.

It shows he was good at one spot, then played out of position and was hurt by it. You take your inside information where you want, because it's as useful to me as someone making a statement on a message board and calling it a fact without anything to back it.

Respond if you want, but I will not respond to another post in this thread on the topic.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Advertisement
Back