Orlando Franklin and Erik Flowers....

You guys have fun with it. Point was made, actual evidence provided over opinions (He is a starter regardless of performance, more accolades at guard than feliciano at an earlier point of his career, and it was stated he fell in draft due to his time at tackle). Nothing more can be done if you can't accept that Golden cost that boy some draft stock.

Advertisement
I can't believe you skirts are really having this conversation.

I am a Miami Hurricane Fan. I care about Miami Hurricanes. I care how the players play while at Miami. I don't care about Miami being a Farm team for the @#$%@#$^#$%^#$%^#$%^#$%^# Rams!!!

If a player is here on Scholarship and Golden asks him to be Punter he better get 4 seconds of hang time. Are you Washington's agent? Do you think pro scouts really publish their real thoughts to mags? Do you think Pro scouts can not figure things out from years of game tape from sideline and endzone copy? They can not figure it out from Indy, Miami Pro days, or the numerous individual NFL team workouts? Are you Duke Johnsons Mommy?

He had him one year I believe... Not enough to make a difference.

Never played for Golden. Was drafted in 2011.

2011 OL: Henderson, Figs, Washington, Linder, Feliciano, Lewis, Wheeler, and can't remember the rest.

So like 4 of his 5 starters are in the NFL. He inherited a good line.

He inherited a good team. Plenty of guys, not counting his 2011 recruiting class are in the NFL. Most aren't garbage players and have been with the same franchise since they were drafted or picked up.
Miami would have won at least 10 games if Lamar miller, Olivier Vernon, Brandon Washington, tommy streeter, forston and those guys had stayed for the 2012 season. We had a mass exodus talent that left early now that I think about it

Brock, I honestly wish your fantasy-land pie in the sky predictions were true lol. If Al Golden was half the coach you think he is we would have had a lot more fun these past couple of years... Hopefully the optimist brigade is finally right for once.

Your stock doesn't drop from moving to a more athletic position.

If he was a "potential top 50 pick" at Guard then playing Tackle (a more athletic position) would only help his stock.

And NFL coaches have access to all of Washington's film. They could watch every play he had at Guard.

Absolutely. If he was a stud he was a stud. You think the nfl couldn't assess his best position?
Moving to tackle could have MADE him money if he excelled at that too. Maybe the pouting cost him, not Al. His job is to try to get the best players on the field. With the loss of Seantrel he made a reasonable move, which Kehoe most likely backed.
This f#€€in board!!

I am a Miami Hurricane Fan. I care about Miami Hurricanes. I care how the players play while at Miami. I don't care about Miami being a Farm team for the @#$%@#$^#$%^#$%^#$%^#$%^# Rams!!!

If a player is here on Scholarship and Golden asks him to be Punter he better get 4 seconds of hang time. Are you Washington's agent? Do you think pro scouts really publish their real thoughts to mags? Do you think Pro scouts can not figure things out from years of game tape from sideline and endzone copy? They can not figure it out from Indy, Miami Pro days, or the numerous individual NFL team workouts? Are you Duke Johnsons Mommy?

That was some high level stupidity right there. Last time I checked, college football is a farm system for all NFL teams. Last time I checked every kid's goal was to get to the pros. Last time I checked, Brandon Washington was a nationally recognized Guard while playing at Miami, until he moved to Tackle. Last time I checked, being a combine superstar does not make you an elite football player (anyone remember Darius Heyward Bey).

If a kid comes here and Golden puts him out of position and expects 4 seconds of hang time, you may very well have figured out why we can't get the top recruits. Your rationale falls just in line with Golden's and is exactly why we just went 6-7 and is exactly why we keep losing local talent to other schools. Seriously, I actually laughed when I read your comment about a player better be a punter if Golden says so. I'm pretty sure the top players are going to say **** that and leave home to continue to go to Alabama, FSU, UF etc.

Again, pro scouts priority is going to be the most recent tape. Players change over time, especially college kids. By your rationale, they should just judge every player based on his best year and ignore flaws that were revealed in their senior year. I don't care why they said it, if they said it. Not sure what a scout who has already drafted him has to gain by even saying that at all as opposed to anything else. You have a kid who graded out in the 90's pretty much every game in one spot and gets national recognition and hype of his draft potential followed by a poor season out of position and a huge fall in which the team that drafts him says him playing out of position is to blame. Sounds pretty reasonable to me, but hey interpret it how you want.

Not really sure why you brought up Duke Johnson when he was not even mentioned here? I understand though. I know the Golden Girls have to defend their man at all costs including throwing players under the bus.

Advertisement
Your stock doesn't drop from moving to a more athletic position.

If he was a "potential top 50 pick" at Guard then playing Tackle (a more athletic position) would only help his stock.

And NFL coaches have access to all of Washington's film. They could watch every play he had at Guard.

Absolutely. If he was a stud he was a stud. You think the nfl couldn't assess his best position?
Moving to tackle could have MADE him money if he excelled at that too. Maybe the pouting cost him, not Al. His job is to try to get the best players on the field. With the loss of Seantrel he made a reasonable move, which Kehoe most likely backed.
This f#€€in board!!

Because the NFL is 100% accurate with the draft choices......

You guys have fun with it. Point was made, actual evidence provided over opinions (He is a starter regardless of performance, more accolades at guard than feliciano at an earlier point of his career, and it was stated he fell in draft due to his time at tackle). Nothing more can be done if you can't accept that Golden cost that boy some draft stock.

lol.

Any decent coach would have consistently been in the ACCCG over the last decade with the talent we've had. Our last three coaches may be in the bottom 5 all time in the history of big time college football.

Advertisement
Feliciano played Guard and Tackle just like Washington did. Did Feliciano's stock fluctuate or did the NFL watch film of him playing both and come up with an ultimate draft grade?

No NFL scout is gonna say "Washington was great when he played Guard but he struggled at Tackle, so we don't want him at Guard anymore."

Washington's stock at Guard was high but all of a sudden it dropped cause he played some Tackle? Makes zero sense.

When NFL scouts watched Washington struggle at Tackle I'm sure they all knew that he was a true Guard and only played Tackle for the sake of the team. They're not dumb. They're not gonna say "well he struggled at a tougher position so we don't want him at Guard anymore."

That's fine by all normal standards, but I know what I read, I know what I saw, and it wouldn't be the first guy Golden has caused a fall in his draft stock.

You're also comparing Feliciano who was drafted a senior playing 39 starts at LG and 7 at the Tackle spots in his time here (spot duty in his draft notes). At best he was an honorable mention for All ACC. There was consistency at one position over the majority of his time here which is what scouts are going to review. His lack of Athleticism was also noted as a weakness for the draft which became abundantly clear while he was playing tackle.

Compare that to Washington who was a sophomore when he was First team All ACC, on multiple award watch lists and constantly grading out over 90% at guard and then asked to start an entire season at Tackle his Junior year before going pro, a season in which his coach constantly threw him under the bus. To say that the most recent season does not stand out over game tape is a joke as you see how many guys stay an extra year somewhere and freefall in a draft from a bad year.

Again there's what should normally happen (review history/tapes) and then there is what happened here. I even bolded it for you man. Now you got me wasting time proving a point I already provided evidence for. Take it how you want.

Ok, so then what's Washington's problem right now? Is Golden still holding him back from being a stud Guard?

What you fail to realize is that an NFL-level Guard should be able to excel at Tackle in college.

It's literally impossible for a kid to go from lousy Tackle to starting a NFL Guard. If you're athletic enough to start at Guard in the NFL then you're athletic enough to function at Tackle in the NCAA.

Feliciano is a perfect example to use. He was a solid Tackle in college. Does that mean he could play Tackle in the NFL? **** no. But it does mean that he'd likely translate to being a good Guard. If you're good at Tackle, you'll be even better at Guard. You don't go from being terrible at Tackle to being an NFL starter at Guard. NFL teams don't write you off at Guard just cause you can't play Tackle.

Feliciano played Guard and Tackle just like Washington did. Did Feliciano's stock fluctuate or did the NFL watch film of him playing both and come up with an ultimate draft grade?

No NFL scout is gonna say "Washington was great when he played Guard but he struggled at Tackle, so we don't want him at Guard anymore."

Washington's stock at Guard was high but all of a sudden it dropped cause he played some Tackle? Makes zero sense.

When NFL scouts watched Washington struggle at Tackle I'm sure they all knew that he was a true Guard and only played Tackle for the sake of the team. They're not dumb. They're not gonna say "well he struggled at a tougher position so we don't want him at Guard anymore."

That's fine by all normal standards, but I know what I read, I know what I saw, and it wouldn't be the first guy Golden has caused a fall in his draft stock.

You're also comparing Feliciano who was drafted a senior playing 39 starts at LG and 7 at the Tackle spots in his time here (spot duty in his draft notes). At best he was an honorable mention for All ACC. There was consistency at one position over the majority of his time here which is what scouts are going to review. His lack of Athleticism was also noted as a weakness for the draft which became abundantly clear while he was playing tackle.

Compare that to Washington who was a sophomore when he was First team All ACC, on multiple award watch lists and constantly grading out over 90% at guard and then asked to start an entire season at Tackle his Junior year before going pro, a season in which his coach constantly threw him under the bus. To say that the most recent season does not stand out over game tape is a joke as you see how many guys stay an extra year somewhere and freefall in a draft from a bad year.

Again there's what should normally happen (review history/tapes) and then there is what happened here. I even bolded it for you man. Now you got me wasting time proving a point I already provided evidence for. Take it how you want.

Ok, so then what's Washington's problem right now? Is Golden still holding him back from being a stud Guard?
I never said he would be all world in the pros, I just said Golden cost him some draft stock. Even guys who excel in college don't always do well in the pros.

What you fail to realize is that an NFL-level Guard should be able to excel at Tackle in college.

It's literally impossible for a kid to go from lousy Tackle to starting a NFL Guard. If you're athletic enough to start at Guard in the NFL then you're athletic enough to function at Tackle in the NCAA.

Feliciano is a perfect example to use. He was a solid Tackle in college. Does that mean he could play Tackle in the NFL? **** no. But it does mean that he'd likely translate to being a good Guard. If you're good at Tackle, you'll be even better at Guard. You don't go from being terrible at Tackle to being an NFL starter at Guard. NFL teams don't write you off at Guard just cause you can't play Tackle.

Using Feliciano is a horrible example. He only played 7 games in spot duty at Tackle and was exposed for his lack of Athleticism. Furthermore, Washington was a far better tackle than Feliciano, problem is neither of them were good fits at tackle. Here is the actual draft profile on him.

Jon Feliciano Draft Profile ? NFL.com

Analysis

Strengths Very thick through calves and thighs. Used in short-pull game and finds and hits target. Three-year starter who has kicked out to tackle when Miami needed help there. Maintains gap awareness against pass rush and has allowed just four sacks over the last three years.

Weaknesses Pear-shaped with short arms. Will lunge after second level targets rather than stalk them. Doesn't play with strong hands and hand placement can be a mess at times. Hands will slide off strike point rather than latch on. Ducks head and loses sight of target on cut blocks. Confined to phone-booth movement.

Draft Projection Priority free agent

Bottom Line Isn't able to latch onto targets, which hinders his consistency as a run blocker in power. Foot quickness is a weakness, which creates too much lunging and leaning in his game. Feliciano is a competent college guard who appears to be lacking the athleticism and technique to be a full-time NFL starter.

Johnathan Feliciano, OG, Miami (Fla.), NFL Draft - CBSSports.com - NFLDraftScout.com

The overall lack of athleticism really showed itself when he found himself on the perimeter at the T positions in spot duty. Even more bothersome was his lack of great arm length, he at times really struggled if he wasn't able to gain first contact. Blown by multiple times with speed off the edge. Would be at most comfortable with him in sparse duty outside for my offensive line.

They go on to say he basically is peaked in potential and is what he will be. He's a solid player, but nothing special. There's a reason he could only make it on the honorable mentions list. If anything playing at Tackle hurt Feliciano more than helped him as it confirmed what many scouts probably already believed.

Last edited:
Advertisement

I never said he would be all world in the pros, I just said Golden cost him some draft stock. Even guys who excel in college don't always do well in the pros.

You're right! Robert Gallery is a good example. I get was Machado is saying but there's no way to explain going from All-ACC guard to barely getting drafted. I was a huge fan of Feliciano but he struggled more than Washington at tackle. He had issues false starting at tackle. We can't say if this player was a stud in college then they should be one in the pros. I mean explain to me why Brett Romberg and Honzalez was all-pro players. If that was the case the term bust would not exist. And Tony Rice, Tim Tebow, Yim Couch, Ryan Leaf and Peter Warrick would be stars. A player can be good in college but bad in the pros, however a player can't be bad in college but good in the pros.

You're right! Robert Gallery is a good example. I get was Machado is saying but there's no way to explain going from All-ACC guard to barely getting drafted. I was a huge fan of Feliciano but he struggled more than Washington at tackle. He had issues false starting at tackle. We can't say if this player was a stud in college then they should be one in the pros. I mean explain to me why Brett Romberg and Honzalez was all-pro players. If that was the case the term bust would not exist. And Tony Rice, Tim Tebow, Yim Couch, Ryan Leaf and Peter Warrick would be stars. A player can be good in college but bad in the pros, however a player can't be bad in college but good in the pros.
Agree. I understand what macho is saying and I don't even disagree for the most part. I also know he's likely more knowledgeable on football than I am, but that doesn't always make it right and this is one thing I firmly believe he's ignoring the situation based on what usually happens

That was some high level stupidity right there. Last time I checked, college football is a farm system for all NFL teams. Last time I checked every kid's goal was to get to the pros. Last time I checked, Brandon Washington was a nationally recognized Guard while playing at Miami, until he moved to Tackle. Last time I checked, being a combine superstar does not make you an elite football player (anyone remember Darius Heyward Bey).

If a kid comes here and Golden puts him out of position and expects 4 seconds of hang time, you may very well have figured out why we can't get the top recruits. Your rationale falls just in line with Golden's and is exactly why we just went 6-7 and is exactly why we keep losing local talent to other schools. Seriously, I actually laughed when I read your comment about a player better be a punter if Golden says so. I'm pretty sure the top players are going to say **** that and leave home to continue to go to Alabama, FSU, UF etc.

Again, pro scouts priority is going to be the most recent tape. Players change over time, especially college kids. By your rationale, they should just judge every player based on his best year and ignore flaws that were revealed in their senior year. I don't care why they said it, if they said it. Not sure what a scout who has already drafted him has to gain by even saying that at all as opposed to anything else. You have a kid who graded out in the 90's pretty much every game in one spot and gets national recognition and hype of his draft potential followed by a poor season out of position and a huge fall in which the team that drafts him says him playing out of position is to blame. Sounds pretty reasonable to me, but hey interpret it how you want.

Not really sure why you brought up Duke Johnson when he was not even mentioned here? I understand though. I know the Golden Girls have to defend their man at all costs including throwing players under the bus.

The scouts watch all the tape they can get. You really think they watched the tape of him at tackle and said "I'm Out"?

I was not doubting that the NCAA is a psydo farm system for the NFL. I just care more about Miami players and how they play at Miami than I do after. If the need is for the best 5 lineman on the field at that means Washington moves to Tackle then so be it.

And do you really think Alabama and Nick Saban or OSU and Meyer let the kids decide where they are going to play? You think a Guard is going to tell Saban to ***** off at playing tackle because he is going to play Guard in the NFL? Is that how it works at the elite schools.

You all hate Golden for the 6-7 season and I get that. he could have been removed last year and not many would have screamed for him that he should have been able to stay. But to go to things like this and say THIS is the reasons why Golden sucks just don't hold merit. I have plenty of red flags on him myself but just because I thought he should have this 5th year to really show where the program is going does not make me a slurper. But if anyone does not show out as much HATE for the man and thus is not a true CANE then so be it.

Advertisement

The scouts watch all the tape they can get. You really think they watched the tape of him at tackle and said "I'm Out"?

I was not doubting that the NCAA is a psydo farm system for the NFL. I just care more about Miami players and how they play at Miami than I do after. If the need is for the best 5 lineman on the field at that means Washington moves to Tackle then so be it.

And do you really think Alabama and Nick Saban or OSU and Meyer let the kids decide where they are going to play? You think a Guard is going to tell Saban to ***** off at playing tackle because he is going to play Guard in the NFL? Is that how it works at the elite schools.

You all hate Golden for the 6-7 season and I get that. he could have been removed last year and not many would have screamed for him that he should have been able to stay. But to go to things like this and say THIS is the reasons why Golden sucks just don't hold merit. I have plenty of red flags on him myself but just because I thought he should have this 5th year to really show where the program is going does not make me a slurper. But if anyone does not show out as much HATE for the man and thus is not a true CANE then so be it.

Most of the time i don't call you slurpers because you think al should get this 5th season, I call yall slurpers because you'd rather throw kids under the bus than just say golden is ******* up. I have a problem with fans constantly trying to throw the kids under the bus when there is a much bigger problem. The problem is you are the same type of guy who says chick sucked and shouldn't get drafted or player whatever didn't perform so he must suck, but in reality, these kids might eventually go to a system where they fit and all of a sudden these nfl teams turn them into something decent, or maybe even good on an nfl level. Perfect example is dorsett. For all we know this kid might have been an elite receiver statistically last season, but we only managed to get him 35 catches? That is a systematic problem. Luckily for dorsett his speed got him lots of attention and then he balled out in the senior bowl. We had a large majority of posters last season and even moreso the year before saying dorsett might not even be draft worthy and that's because golden got these kids looking below average.

You want to talk about how the kid played at MIami, well guess what, based on his national recognition, it was obviously pretty good at guard.

As far as Urban and Saban, they don't run into this problem because they know how to recruit and better yet can seal the deal on recruits they need. When they do need to play someone out of position, they make the necessary adjustments to make it work and don't follow up by trying to call out the player as an excuse ignoring the fact that he's out of position. Al's gameplan which exactly matches what you are saying is not just to shove the square peg in the round hole, but to beat it in with a hammer and then blame the peg when it doesn't work. This is why Golden sucks.

As far as not caring about miami players once they leave here, then why are you still in this thread discussing a former player? The only goal you seem to have in this thread is throwing a former player under the bus and defending golden. That is my issue.

Using Feliciano is a horrible example. He only played 7 games in spot duty at Tackle and was exposed for his lack of Athleticism. Furthermore, Washington was a far better tackle than Feliciano, problem is neither of them were good fits at tackle. Here is the actual draft profile on him.

Jon Feliciano Draft Profile ? NFL.com

Analysis

Strengths Very thick through calves and thighs. Used in short-pull game and finds and hits target. Three-year starter who has kicked out to tackle when Miami needed help there. Maintains gap awareness against pass rush and has allowed just four sacks over the last three years.

Weaknesses Pear-shaped with short arms. Will lunge after second level targets rather than stalk them. Doesn't play with strong hands and hand placement can be a mess at times. Hands will slide off strike point rather than latch on. Ducks head and loses sight of target on cut blocks. Confined to phone-booth movement.

Draft Projection Priority free agent

Bottom Line Isn't able to latch onto targets, which hinders his consistency as a run blocker in power. Foot quickness is a weakness, which creates too much lunging and leaning in his game. Feliciano is a competent college guard who appears to be lacking the athleticism and technique to be a full-time NFL starter.

Johnathan Feliciano, OG, Miami (Fla.), NFL Draft - CBSSports.com - NFLDraftScout.com

The overall lack of athleticism really showed itself when he found himself on the perimeter at the T positions in spot duty. Even more bothersome was his lack of great arm length, he at times really struggled if he wasn't able to gain first contact. Blown by multiple times with speed off the edge. Would be at most comfortable with him in sparse duty outside for my offensive line.

They go on to say he basically is peaked in potential and is what he will be. He's a solid player, but nothing special. There's a reason he could only make it on the honorable mentions list. If anything playing at Tackle hurt Feliciano more than helped him as it confirmed what many scouts probably already believed.

You're smoking if you think Washington was better at Tackle than Feliciano. Washington was getting beat like a drum on a regular basis.

And FYI...

Oakland Raiders' Biggest Preseason Surprises so Far | Bleacher Report

"...he’s mauling defensive linemen at the point of attack in the trenches with an outstanding 3.8 grade in run blocking, which ranks as second-best in the entire league for the preseason." ‪

Feliciano was wayyyy better at Tackle than Washington. He was one of Miami's highest grading lineman during his tenure at Miami. Only OL that graded higher on a regular basis was Linder.

And everybody false started at RT here. It was due to the silent count. False starting isn't "struggling" at playing a position.

The NFL watched tape on Washington...AT BOTH POSTIONS...and drafted him where he belonged. Here we are years later and it turns out that he indeed is a 6th round level player.

If he had stud talent as a Guard he would've showed it by now. It didn't disappear when he played Tackle at Miami.

I personally know how our Linemen graded out after every game and Washington was NEVER above Linder or Feliciano. EVER. And that's a 100% fact.

Advertisement
Back