Oregon & Willie T Sued for $100 Million

Interesting to see where this goes. Also kinda illustrates the dangers on the culpability front to have a guy running around like Swasey without the industry standard certifications that even remotely thinks about pushing kids to the limit in conditioning drills.

@AlphaMarshan is there a State/Federal licensure board function for fitness trainers at that level?

Advertisement
What a scumbag Willie T is! Didn’t do his due diligence on his hires. He also didn’t protect his players. I hope this blows up to the point he never works again and loses everything he has in civil court. *** hole

C'mon, bro. The ONLY reason Swasey was invoked was because a main crux of this kid's lawsuit was that the Oregon conditioning coach lacked certifications. Like the article makes a pretty clear point of that.
But why would anyone bring up certifications when they know Swasey was at UM over 15 years including the S&C Coach for the 2001 ’GOAT‘ team. He has a ton of success with individuals he trained and trains.

The proper thing to do would be to reference the Head Coach that he was just an assistant under. Al Golden came in with certifications, degrees, pillars, binders, Dead Sea scrolls, Waynai Bibles, Codex gigas, Kuthodaw Pagodas, Bhagavad Gitas, Ramayanas, Torahs, Tripitakas, Kojikis, Tao-Te-Chings, the Quran & the Koran and still couldn’t coach worth a ****.

Every sorry coach we ever had was just a certified loser - certs ain’t worth toilet paper if you can’t produce results.

C'mon, bro. The ONLY reason Swasey was invoked was because a main crux of this kid's lawsuit was that the Oregon conditioning coach lacked certifications. Like the article makes a pretty clear point of that.
Swasey was an EXCELLENT S&C Coach...Ask ANY player that worked out under him (and alot till this day)....So much BS about his qualifications....After Moffitt left, UM didn't skip a beat with him at the helm....

But why would anyone bring up certifications when they know Swasey was at UM over 15 years including the S&C Coach for the 2001 ’GOAT‘ team. He has a ton of success with individuals he trained and trains.

The proper thing to do would be to reference the Head Coach that he was just an assistant under. Al Golden came in with certifications, degrees, pillars, binders, Dead Sea scrolls, Waynai Bibles, Codex gigas, Kuthodaw Pagodas, Bhagavad Gitas, Ramayanas, Torahs, Tripitakas, Kojikis, Tao-Te-Chings, the Quran & the Koran and still couldn’t coach worth a ****.

Every sorry coach we ever had was just a certified loser - certs ain’t worth toilet paper if you can’t produce results.
Hahaha. Fair point but you forgot Alfredo's certificate for completing the "trust fall/hot coal barefoot challenge" at a Dr. Bob Rotella sports psychology retreat/golf scramble.

I'm certainly no expert on the intricacies of high level strength and conditioning coaching but Swasey was just invoked in this instance because (rightly or wrongly) that whole narrative about him being limited in certain aspects of his job due to lack of whatever certifications blew up around here as it became more and more obvious of the general absurdity that was coming from and around Golden.

And like I said, this kid thinks he has legal grounds to sue based at least partly on something that associated with Swasey was widely laughed about around here- again, not that the vast majority of us share any real expertise on this front beyond out high school athletic careers and/or asking the trainer at LA Fitness for advice on how to get any sort of real pump in your calves.

Advertisement
So dude sues Oregon for effed up workouts and people bring up Swasey - WTH does he have to do with this?
Subtle racist bullshyt, Canes still workout with Swasey.

Unfortunately, that's what happens when you allow morally bankrupt Shysters who have Shticks to porst on this forum without checks & filters. 🤷‍♂️

If he cared to do even a base level of research he would've realized that lack of qualifications is not the problem with strength & conditioning as it relates to college athletics. The issue is lack of oversight & accountability by administration officials, because the strength coach is ultimately tied to the HC that hired him. This creates a conflict of interest. This is why former MD football player Jordan McNair ended up losing his life, because the strength coach at the time Rick Court, was essentially allowed carte blanche control, and the freedom to create a toxic & abusive team culture. At the time, Court had attained the highest recognition, master strength and conditioning coach, from the collegiate strength and conditioning coaches association. You can have the highest qualified & brightest individuals working in a field, but if there's no one to police the culture, then bad outcomes will continue to happen.

Though, Swasey wasn't as qualified as Court, he did help to produce over 100 NFL draft picks during his career as strength coach. More importantly no one ever died or got Rhabdomyolysis under his watch. Could it be then that actually caring for your players is just as important as credentials & qualifications?

Last edited:
Advertisement
Advertisement

big IF, but IF Oregon is found to be liable for damages for failing to make sure an athletic trainer was properly certified, it will be worth a whole **** of a lot of toilet paper wether there are results or not for the trainer.

big IF, but IF the precedent of a player that is years removed from college, trained by an uncertified staff member that is no longer employed there, under a coach that is no longer employed there can expose a university to liability, a few schools will probably be clenching their cheeks for a while.

I don't really give a **** what anyone says about swasey, separating the man from the scenario, it is wildly irresponsible to have someone that is not up to date and current in industry standards for certification for a bunch of fields in life, health and fitness included, and while individuals can choose to take that risk privately, universities should not be.

All that said, I expect this to settle for a fraction, and for it to go away.

Last edited:
Man, that kid is gonna need a "legal army" if he's suing Taggart and the University of Oregon.

Oh wait, just heard a rumor that he's being represented by Morgan and Morgan -- for the people!! (Probably means they'll put out another commercial.)

Interesting to see where this goes. Also kinda illustrates the dangers on the culpability front to have a guy running around like Swasey without the industry standard certifications that even remotely thinks about pushing kids to the limit in conditioning drills.

I don't know if they'll get that $100 million or even half of that. However, after reading the article, it appears to be gross negligence by the University of Oregon because the Plaintiff and 2 other players were hospitalized with rhabdomyolysis as a result of first few days of the team's Sping conditioning where players were passing out. The medical staff DIDN'T recommend a modification to the conditioning. They just supplied oxygen tanks.

NOT GOOD.

Advertisement
I’m dealing with lawyers every single day, not just corporate lawyers, but outside counsel and business partner lawyers. So I’m there for every lawyer joke you can think of.

Lol, I am a lawyer....
And not only am I not offended by this stuff, but I do not even consider some of these quips "jokes" anymore. They're too accurate to be jokes, They're more like historical anecdotes.

Advertisement
Back