Oregon RB Dye hits the Portal

Advertisement
LOL. We're adding Dye and Parrish. We're getting errrrrybody.
Its Happening Ron Paul GIF

I don't know how the career of Cody will work out, I won't write him off yet, very underwhelmed with what I saw from him last year. Maybe my expectations for him were too high, stunned at how blah he appeared. He looked like a wrecking ball in high school. I even jokingly said put some weight on move him to linebacker.
That probably has more to do with the comp he played in HS than anything.

I never said anything about Cody Brown when he was being brought in, but he wasn’t that impressive to me.

The fact he’s so slow isn’t even the main issue to me, it’s his lack of lateral quickness & footwork. At RB, you can be a lil slow, but if you can’t cut or change direction smoothly, then you’re pretty screwed.

Thad is slow, but he’s a locomotive & runs nimble, he’s a kid that gets better with more carries & most importantly he moves quick in short area traffic, he’s not ever gonna beat anybody in straight line 40 yard dash, but he can move effectively in between tackles & runs with very good contact balance.

I never said anything about Cody Brown when he was being brought in, but he wasn’t that impressive to me.

The fact he’s so slow isn’t even the main issue to me, it’s his lack of lateral quickness & footwork. At RB, you can be a lil slow, but if you can’t cut or change direction smoothly, then you’re pretty screwed.

Thad is slow, but he’s a locomotive & runs nimble, he’s a kid that gets better with more carries & most importantly he moves quick in short area traffic, he’s not ever gonna beat anybody in straight line 40 yard dash, but he can move effectively in between tackles & runs with very good contact balance.
I am all in on Thad. It might be the comp, he didn't do anything that made me think future star or anything, I did see him as somebody that would be an amazing short yardage back. I'm not sure if that is even in his wheelhouse at this level.

Advertisement

Excellent post. From what I saw last season (small sample size), Franklin appears more gifted b/w the 2. Franklin has a little shiftiness to him that results in defenders not being able to perfectly square him up and then he uses his big body and size to break the tackle. Brown just didn't impress me at all (albeit he was a true frosh).

I made a comparison to Cody Brown when he committed here...he was a token USC big back. USC always has them. Some are a little better than others...but the TYPE. Buck Allen, Tre Madden, Justin Davis, Stephen Ware, Chauncey Washington, Allen Bradford, Stafon Johnson..you get the point. I think Brown is in the spectrum of those guys...a power 5 guy...useful...but pretty replacement level, but maybe by attrition you end up being productive to a point. Very OL dependent back, if you know what I mean by that.

If you're bringing in players and he's the kind of player you're losing as a result...I think its more a net positive for the school. If the trade is Travis Dye for Cody Brown...who is not making that trade in a real work environment. Are we throwing in draft picks, too, here?

Advertisement
I made a comparison to Cody Brown when he committed here...he was a token USC big back. USC always has them. Some are a little better than others...but the TYPE. Buck Allen, Tre Madden, Justin Davis, Stephen Ware, Chauncey Washington, Allen Bradford, Stafon Johnson..you get the point. I think Brown is in the spectrum of those guys...a power 5 guy...useful...but pretty replacement level, but maybe by attrition you end up being productive to a point. Very OL dependent back, if you know what I mean by that.

If you're bringing in players and he's the kind of player you're losing as a result...I think its more a net positive for the school. If the trade is Travis Dye for Cody Brown...who is not making that trade in a real work environment. Are we throwing in draft picks, too, here?
Well said.

That's the type that puts opposing teams moral in the tank. He keep punishing and getting chunks against trash cans and they quit.

I liked his HS film. He got through the hole, had a decent spin move, and kept very good balance after impact. Unfortunately, from his first carry here, it was obvious he's a jag at the college level.

Advertisement
Advertisement
I want Citizen. Be nice to get him and one of these guys. I don't trust Chaney's health and i want a vicious competition in the offseason. Other than TVD i don't want any player settling into a defined roll by default or attrition.

Advertisement
Back