Orange Bowl Stadium

One of the worst Miami moves of all time, building a baseball stadium on football Ground, about as stupid a move i have ever seen. They thought because of the spanish speaking country population in Miami that ****'s was gone be flocking to see baseball games, but obviously, they were and still are delusional, so what its only about 5 or 6 home games a year, those home games will generate more revenue that probably the whole baseball season. This is a football town, trying to change that means you're out of touch with Miami. So coach diaz answer was in line with trying to defend his pops although you know he'd rather have the stadium.

Advertisement
We're going back to holy ground on Saturday. It's kind of ironic that the Miami Hurricanes are about to be the VISITING team at the site of the Orange Bowl, and the opposing coach is gonna be Butch Davis.

And here we are, 15 years after the old lady was defiled, and we have won absolutely zero since. Returning to the OB site kind of makes all of that hit home.

Here's what Manny Diaz had to say about that....

So.... hold up. We're being coached by the SON of the man who tore down the Orange Bowl.... on the site of the Orange Bowl..... against the last great coach we had at the Orange Bowl.

And all this ************ can say is "...time moves on."

LMAO.

************ beats Louisville and now he thinks he can talk big an disrespect our past like that.

It ain't right. None of it.
What do want him to say? We are rebuilding the OB?

Likewise. Easily the best sporting venue I have every experienced, and the number is over 100.

Joe Robbie's annual offseason spat with the City of Miami was something I always recognized as more significant than locals preferred to believe. Once Robbie found cheap land and relocated to Miami Gardens it was a matter of time for the Orange Bowl. In some ways it is remarkable the end did not happen sooner, and the Canes remained there another two decades.

We have a contrived roof now, and play in an irrelevant location. The laughable location stands out more and more as I attend games elsewhere. I don't believe either football occupant will win a title in that building. You don't get rewarded for decisions of that caliber.

It’s a laughable location but Little Havana wasn’t?

What do want him to say? We are rebuilding the OB?

Nah, he should acknowledge that the OB was a special place, say something to acknowledge the great teams that called it home, and someone in the Diaz family should apologize to the people of Miami for their part in taking that iconic place away from us.

The posters hating on this thread are either UM shills or they are too young to ever have seen games at the old OB.

In which case, I pity them. Imagine the only Canes team you’ve ever known is this abortion of the past 15 years. Sad.

Advertisement
It’s a laughable location but Little Havana wasn’t?

Antsy Booger is literally the most self-important blowhard on this site. The guy blows harder than $20 street whöre. Blah blah blah “I’ve visited all the major college towns” as if visiting small town redneck hellholes is something to brag about or gives you greater insight. That’s not Miami, that will never be Miami

I'm just glad that there is still a stadium on that land and not apartment buildings. Little Havana is the dirtiest, most depressing **** hole in Miami but at least there's still the chance that we may one day play at that very spot.

I'm just glad that there is still a stadium on that land and not apartment buildings. Little Havana is the dirtiest, most depressing **** hole in Miami but at least there's still the chance that we may one day play at that very spot.
Really?

Advertisement
This part I would like to think is a possibility. Just hope that the Marlins tank into an abyss and move out... just dreaming I guess. Just keep it between us cause the Broward contingent will make it a nightmare.

Likewise. Easily the best sporting venue I have every experienced, and the number is over 100.

Joe Robbie's annual offseason spat with the City of Miami was something I always recognized as more significant than locals preferred to believe. Once Robbie found cheap land and relocated to Miami Gardens it was a matter of time for the Orange Bowl. In some ways it is remarkable the end did not happen sooner, and the Canes remained there another two decades.

We have a contrived roof now, and play in an irrelevant location. The laughable location stands out more and more as I attend games elsewhere. I don't believe either football occupant will win a title in that building. You don't get rewarded for decisions of that caliber.
Hard rock stadium will play no part in the reason why the phins or dolphins don’t win a title..dammit the marlins won 2 titles there..your a DAMF

Nah, he should acknowledge that the OB was a special place, say something to acknowledge the great teams that called it home, and someone in the Diaz family should apologize to the people of Miami for their part in taking that iconic place away from us.

The posters hating on this thread are either UM shills or they are too young to ever have seen games at the old OB.

In which case, I pity them. Imagine the only Canes team you’ve ever known is this abortion of the past 15 years. Sad.
Did you listen to the interview?? To the question?? To the response?

One of the worst Miami moves of all time, building a baseball stadium on football Ground, about as stupid a move i have ever seen. They thought because of the spanish speaking country population in Miami that ****'s was gone be flocking to see baseball games, but obviously, they were and still are delusional, so what its only about 5 or 6 home games a year, those home games will generate more revenue that probably the whole baseball season. This is a football town, trying to change that means you're out of touch with Miami. So coach diaz answer was in line with trying to defend his pops although you know he'd rather have the stadium.
Being that the city owned the OB, I know for a fact that as far back as the early 80's, the city was trying to unload the OB in any way possible to eliminate the costs associated with maintaining it. Robbie got tired of constantly fighting with with the city about even just basic maintenance and finally said FY I'll build my won stadium.

Advertisement
Would it make sense to dream of some renovations to the Marlins Park to add +10k in capacity, and make it the home stadium? It would definitely be better than traveling up north to Hard Rock.

Have you been to Little Havana lately? I love it......lot of cool new places are around, while much of it has retained its "local color." Sadly, there's actually a lot more to do around there now than there ever was in the OB's heyday. If the OB was still around, the bars on 8th St would be crazy before/after big games.

Last edited:
Being that the city owned the OB, I know for a fact that as far back as the early 80's, the city was trying to unload the OB in any way possible to eliminate the costs associated with maintaining it. Robbie got tired of constantly fighting with with the city about even just basic maintenance and finally said FY I'll build my won stadium.

I'm really surprised that the Canes made it a full 20 years of playing in the OB after the Dolphins left. Even as a little kid I always kinda figured that there would have been a move to JRS in a short time after the Dolphins.

Advertisement

While that's True, none of the teams have had homefield advantage since they left the O.B. its different when you walk in a stadium that you know is yours, brings a different mindset as oppose to sharing one, while the optics do look better, the main thing is and always will be the players. The problem is, the City doesnt want competition within the City, let's say UM does finally get their own stadium, after the football season, what other events will they hold their, which is why if david beckham was smart, he'd link up with julio, and come up with a plan to somehow merge those 2 idea's and that may unlock the stalemate!

While that's True, none of the teams have had homefield advantage since they left the O.B. its different when you walk in a stadium that you know is yours, brings a different mindset as oppose to sharing one, while the optics do look better, the main thing is and always will be the players. The problem is, the City doesnt want competition within the City, let's say UM does finally get their own stadium, after the football season, what other events will they hold their, which is why if david beckham was smart, he'd link up with julio, and come up with a plan to somehow merge those 2 idea's and that may unlock the stalemate!
In a perfect world, the U would have their own stadium. There's just too many obstacles to overcome and the costs (both for construction and maintenance) would be astronomical.

The dynamics of the OB changed a lot when the Dolphins came to town. The facilities actually got an upgrade (paid for by Robbie) to NFL standards which in 1966 aren't what they are today. Even still, the U obviously benefitted from the upgrades at no cost to them. When the Dolphins left, the U and the city couldn't afford to keep the OB running on their own. As mentioned by @LPK2006, I'm surprised as well the U stayed as long as they did after the Phins left.

Advertisement
Back