OPENING DAY

Mostly agree w this and Allabouttheu's assessment, but I am not sure where the offense is going to come from and was surprised we didn't see Gates. I know we had better ABs late, but Towson's pen was terrible. Romero and Burke will be key because it appears Yoyo will be pitched around all year and appears to get frustrated easily.

Bullpen looks solid and the two freshmen have impressive stuff. Why Rosario hasn't developed some better secondary pitches by now is a big concern. Palm will eventually be the Friday guy IMO.
I think the pieces are there for the offense to be decent. The 17 and 18 teams (admittedly not a great bar) probably put up two or three runs last night and against the alumni. We at least made poor relief pitching look poor for a change. If I’m more sanguine about the offense than most of the board about the lineup, I’m probably more skeptical about the pitching. I don’t feel great about relying on Garland and McFarlane to be consistent, particularly if Rosario hasn’t improved. Agree about Palm moving to Friday. We can’t do the stupid things we’ve done so far against outside competition and hope to be remotely decent though.

Advertisement
I think the pieces are there for the offense to be decent. The 17 and 18 teams (admittedly not a great bar) probably put up two or three runs last night and against the alumni. We at least made poor relief pitching look poor for a change. If I’m more sanguine about the offense than most of the board about the lineup, I’m probably more skeptical about the pitching. I don’t feel great about relying on Garland and McFarlane to be consistent, particularly if Rosario hasn’t improved. Agree about Palm moving to Friday. We can’t do the stupid things we’ve done so far against outside competition and hope to be remotely decent though.
Agree, and hope Gino doesn't use half a season or more again to figure out the rotation and a starting lineup from a group of 8 - 10 players who know how to consistently play good, fundamental baseball. As bad as Morris was at the end, in his prime his teams were elite when it came to defense, baserunning, etc year in and year out.

Thought there were some positives and some worrisome signs. I would've expected more from Yo-Yo, who looked more meh than I'd have hoped. Not the results, the swings, the body, the approach, the contact. Bad body language as well.

Rosario seemed like the same kid, looks electric, then has a bad inning and lets things snowball. That kid has to learn to slow down and not speed up in tough spots.

Walters looks like he could be a starter to me. Rosario would probably be excellent as a bridge reliever who can go all out and then you can pull him quickly if he isn't locating. But Walters looked electric in the bullpen and seems to like it, so that is fine to leave him there if he gets a bunch of innings. Just don't want to end the year with one of our best arms throwing 30 innings on the season.

Will probably be exactly the type of season I spoke of earlier: NCAA tournament team, hope for a Super, if you get the right matchup, who knows.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back