OOS Recruiting: Looking Westward to Texas

Times arent changing....we are NOW a middle tier program.

Miami coaching staff recruits like were a playoff team...add to it we just have POOR recruiters. They have nothing of merit to show recruits for what they have done, hence Likens walking in and being able to sell on him getting 2 wrs drafted 1st round...Dugans just had his donk. Patke has nothing, Rumph nothing, Banda is a solid recruiter i guess he tries.
What don't people understand about this?

Advertisement
Hence why we should not limit ourselves to certain areas... we need to expand the board nationally and find more kids with talent.

TCU... OSU... Baylor... Texas Tech... all have been digging at middle tier recruits and developing them into draft picks..

This obsession of a “state of Miami” team is idiotic.

Not one person on here has said DON'T RECRUIT OOS.

What some of us are saying is, recruit the RIGHT kids from South Florida. Nobody is saying don't go out of state, but there's kids right here in our backyard that we don't even recruit who sign with P5 programs and ball out.

You expect us to evaluate OOS 3-stars when we can't even properly evaluate the ones we have in our backyard. 🤔

We've tried it.
The kids all sucked.

Last edited:
Not one person on here has said DON'T RECRUIT OOS.

What some of us are saying is, recruit the RIGHT kids from South Florida. Nobody is saying don't go out of state, but there's kids right here in our backyard that we don't even recruit who sign with P5 programs and ball out.

You expect us to evaluate OOS 3-stars when we can't even properly evaluate the ones we have in our backyard. 🤔

We've tried it.
The kids all sucked.
Recruiting misses happen every single year... and will continue every single year going forward. Kids develop late or maybe they legit go to the perfect situation and ball out.

Either way... I’m not saying we need to split resources and time 50-50 between Texas and Florida...

Im saying at most 20-25% of time and resources should be invested in Texas, Arizona, Louisiana, NOVA, and the Carolinas. Is that really a lot spread across all that? No but you make appearances.. show face and see if you can run into coaches maybe some who are canes fans and can get you in the door more with kids( or tip you off early if they have a good one coming down the pike)

Recruiting misses happen every single year... and will continue every single year going forward. Kids develop late or maybe they legit go to the perfect situation and ball out.

Either way... I’m not saying we need to split resources and time 50-50 between Texas and Florida...

Im saying at most 20-25% of time and resources should be invested in Texas, Arizona, Louisiana, NOVA, and the Carolinas. Is that really a lot spread across all that? No but you make appearances.. show face and see if you can run into coaches maybe some who are canes fans and can get you in the door more with kids( or tip you off early if they have a good one coming down the pike)

I don't think anybody is disagreeing with that though. I don't think anybody WOULD disagree with that.

But for the record, we have done that. The kids didn't really pan out.

Recruiting OOS will not/has not fixed out problem. We still can't get the elite kids and we still suck at evaluating/developing the 3-star ones.

Ultimately I think THAT is what it comes down to. (evaluating the right kids + development)

Honestly there are legit recruits all over this country who are good we just have to go after them. Going after kids in the Northeast, Louisiana, Texas, California and always home will keep us a national brand and have a wider net. We'll get the bigtime Florida kids soon but in the meantime let's expand our map and create a buzz and in the fall we have to make it to the ACC Championship game and a legit bowl game. We have to show these bigtime recruits this is the place to be

Advertisement
Miami had no shot at Thayer Munford. He’s from a OSU feeder. It was a wrap after he got that offer.
What are you even talking about? He didn’t even get a OSU offer til that December and we offered in like April. How do you know he wouldn’t have stayed committed because we believed in him first? That happens a million time over to every program.

What are you even talking about? He didn’t even get a OSU offer til that December and we offered in like April. How do you know he wouldn’t have stayed committed because we believed in him first? That happens a million time over to every program.
Lol man you talk like you know what you’re talking about so much that you actually believe it. Munford people are from the hood I grew up in. I have direct ties to his folks. He was waiting for an OSU offer the entire time. And he was a momma’s boy who wasn’t going for regardless. OSU gets who they want out of Ohio. I can say on good authority that after he got that offer, it was a wrap. There’s a reason why his recruitment went the way it did. He was waiting for a spot to open up the entire time. OSU has different cache in the state of Ohio than Miami has in Florida.

Lol man you talk like you know what you’re talking about so much that you actually believe it. Munford people are from the hood I grew up in. I have direct ties to his folks. He was waiting for an OSU offer the entire time. And he was a momma’s boy who wasn’t going for regardless. OSU gets who they want out of Ohio. I can say on good authority that after he got that offer, it was a wrap. There’s a reason why his recruitment went the way it did. He was waiting for a spot to open up the entire time. OSU has different cache in the state of Ohio than Miami has in Florida.
And? How does this change OUR decision to recruit Kai Lon over him? Hence “What are you even talking about”. We offered when the kid was still committed to Cincinnati and OSU didn’t even miss on the 4 tackles they had ahead of him yet. He wasn’t even on their radar until Mid November.

lol at you trying to insult me...

Advertisement
And? How does this change OUR decision to recruit Kai Lon over him? Hence “What are you even talking about”. We offered when the kid was still committed to Cincinnati and OSU didn’t even miss on the 4 tackles they had ahead of him yet. He wasn’t even on their radar until Mid November.

lol at you trying to insult me...
You said “take” him over him, which makes it seem like we had a chance to get a commitment out of him. You don’t know what was going on behind the scenes. How do we know he was interested enough to visit? You realize he never made it down to campus, right?

There’s nothing wrong with admitting you don’t know what the actual story is here. He was on OSU’s radar for years, man. He literally spent his HS career at two obvious OSU feeder schools. Kerry Coombs, who is a Cincinnati HS legend and dog recruiter was recruiting him and he camped at OSU 2 years straight in HS. He was never committed to Cincinnati. I don’t know why you have this hostile and loud persona on a message board, but again, the kid is from my hood and I know the family personally. The 247 timeline on his profile matches up with what I’m saying as well. Don’t know where you’re even getting your facts from here. The whole reason that they were late to offer him was grades and concern that he was a project.

You said “take” him over him, which makes it seem like we had a chance to get a commitment out of him. You don’t know what was going on behind the scenes. How do we know he was interested enough to visit? You realize he never made it down to campus, right?

There’s nothing wrong with admitting you don’t know what the actual story is here. He was on OSU’s radar for years, man. He literally spent his HS career at two obvious OSU feeder schools. Kerry Coombs, who is a Cincinnati HS legend and dog recruiter was recruiting him and he camped at OSU 2 years straight in HS. He was never committed to Cincinnati. I don’t know why you have this hostile and loud persona on a message board, but again, the kid is from my hood and I know the family personally. The 247 timeline on his profile matches up with what I’m saying as well. Don’t know where you’re even getting your facts from here. The whole reason that they were late to offer him was grades and concern that he was a project.

Gotcha. Sorry.

Advertisement
I'm a Miami alum who has lived in Texas most of my life (yea, I retired to Arizona). Miami fans take great pride in the caliber of high school football in the Sunshine State. And they should. But there are storm clouds forming around Florida as a recruiting hotbed.

I would not say Florida is the most fertile recruiting ground for talent anymore. For two reasons. First, the numbers say so. Texas has comparable talent but a lot more of it. The depth of high caliber talent far exceeds Florida. Just look at QB prospects from both states. Or OL talent.

The second reason is culture. This is important since our Canes, as does FSU and UF, struggle to keep in-state talent home. The recruiting culture in Florida, particularly in south Florida, is all about self interest. Who can get me to the NFL and who has the best incentives. That's not to say Texas kids don't have some of these same traits, but they are not as widespread or as deep as in Florida. Florida divas are notorious. Street agents in south Florida control the recruiting landscape with the elote talent. Not many schools like to recruit Florida kids but must at this point in time. Coaches don't like the instability that comes with a Florida prospect's commitment. Texas kids are more loyal to their state and to "family" schools. Have you ever talked to an Aggie family? Or a Long Horn family? They go way back.

Can a school go into Texas and grab some of that talent? Yes, because they usually have enough to supply the 8 P5 and G5 schools in state with plenty to spare.

Recruiting has always been about relationships. Prospect to coach. Coach to coach. Family to school. Miami's coaching staff has some key relationships in Texas, particularly our coordinators, Rhett Lashlee and Blake Baker. The key will be to develop relationships with coaches at key target schools in the Houston and Dallas-Ft. Worth area. Of particualar interest should be QBs and linemen. They grow them BIG in Texas.

Yes, there are other states Miami should have a major presence, such as California, Georgia, DMV, Louisiana and NJ/NY. Miami has quietly shifted their recruiting stratgey over the past two years. Coach Diaz is hitting Florida hard at the beginning of the cycle, but is moving on if the south Florida talent shows any sign of disinterest or game-playing. Just look at the number of OOS offers this cycle. Out of Miami's current 239 scholarship offers, 107 are to Florida prospects, followed by Georgia (26), Texas (22), California (16), Louisiana (12) and NJ/NY (13). Miami's still strong national brand allows him this strategy.

If Miami is successful with this new OOS strategy in this cycle, look for Diaz to become even more aggressive in the 2022 recruiting cycle. The south Florida culture will force Miami elsewhere. Eventually, FHSF will suffer and decline. Sad to see, but the U can not and will not be held captive by the south Florida divas.
No More Of These Georgia Brats & Meatheads - Georgia Is a Waste Of Time for Miami - In The 80s The Only Georgia Player I Can Recall Was Shannon Crowell - Georgia Cilture Is Soft Marshmellow & Flaky As F*ck - Get Away From Georgia Miami

I don't think anyone has argued we're going to walk into TX & start snatching up 5-stars, I know I certainly haven't.

But somehow this whole thing has devolved into argument about well we can't get any OOS kids to come to Miami so we need to just load up on local 3-stars & hope & wish they end up like Rousseau, that's kinda ridiculous if you ask me.

Here's the point, there are a ton of talented players around the country, a high concentration of them happen to be in TX, so why don't we try to get some of them as opposed to being played & decommitted to death by kids who live 15 minutes away from campus who prefer to play in Bama, LSU, Oh St, UF & TAMU...

This is now a ****ing contest between which HS football is better, which is dumb IMO. I wouldn't give AF if it was Alaska, if they had a shìt ton of good football players then I'd be on here screaming "we need to hit up Anchorage!" Lol.

Every program recruits nationally. LSU, Oh St, UGA, Bama, Auburn, Oklahoma, Oregon, Utah & TAMU, all of'em even FSU & UF recruit nationally, so why shouldn't we? Distance is not an issue IMO, Minnesota has 9 OOS players in their current #6 ranked 21 class, Clemson doesn't have one player from South Carolina in their current class & last year only had 1.

How on Earth did we ever manage to sign Brevin Jordan if he's not from FL? How did we sign Daz Worsham & Keyshawn Smith? How did we get Christian Williams & Isaiah Dunson? How did we get Blissett, Holley & Harrison-Hunte or Quentin Williams? How did we convince King to transfer here instead of going to a Big XII team, same for Jaelan Phillips?

The point being, what's so bad about trying to get good players from around the country? It seems like yall are basically saying, "Give me South Fla 3-stars or give me Death!" Lol. Like is there anyway to really quantify the quality of a 3-star from FL vs a 3-star from anywhere else? There's 3-stars from all over the country who played great ball in college & in the NFL, why are people so against getting good players just because they're not from Florida?
Bruh you are so on point. I get that Florida has great athletes but so many Floridians are unrealistic about their athletes at the same time as well. Based on what I’ve heard and seen people are in for a rude awakening with the Miami Hurricanes defensive line as far as how snaps are gonna be divided lol.

Bruh you are so on point. I get that Florida has great athletes but so many Floridians are unrealistic about their athletes at the same time as well. Based on what I’ve heard and seen people are in for a rude awakening with the Miami Hurricanes defensive line as far as how snaps are gonna be divided lol.
Unrealistic about our athletes, how? We produce the best football players in the world. That's a fact. There's nothing to be unrealistic about.

That doesn't mean there's not good football players elsewhere, but facts are facts. The State of Florida produces the most D1 football players and NFL football players in the country.

Advertisement
Unrealistic about our athletes, how? We produce the best football players in the world. That's a fact. There's nothing to be unrealistic about.

That doesn't mean there's not good football players elsewhere, but facts are facts. The State of Florida produces the most D1 football players and NFL football players in the country.

This bolded is facts, and also why most people not from here get in there feelings and insecure about it. They play good ball in multiple places...but there is no lies in everyone is playing second fiddle to florida.

dont care avbout stadium size, attendance....nothing

Like I posted when I linked the 3 star and below kids. If Miami could EVALUATE they would never want for a skill position player in ANY SEASON.

The 3 star kids that leave the state often ball. I’m agreeing with macho and gogeta here.

Not even just Florida but south Florida in particular. the rest of the state is not the same.

Like I posted when I linked the 3 star and below kids. If Miami could EVALUATE they would never want for a skill position player in ANY SEASON.

The 3 star kids that leave the state often ball. I’m agreeing with macho and gogeta here.

Not even just Florida but south Florida in particular. the rest of the state is not the same.

If we can’t pick the right players in our backyard, how are we going to pick the right players halfway across the country?

If we can’t pick the right players in our backyard, how are we going to pick the right players halfway across the country?

Facts. I literally was just looking at state of Florida recruits From 2011-2019 again yesterday.

We have missed some studs or at least non jag players so often it’s scary.

EVERY SINGLE YEAR down there you’ve got a kid who is slept on and going to ball in college.

Can’t say the same for most the rest of the country.

Advertisement
Back