One thing our dbs can improve on

Here go the chitty *** mods letting NY dumb *** ruin another thread.

We had 3 INTS in the UVA game. We housed none of them. DBs are elusive enough. Also the other guys like completely clueless when it comes to blocking. Everyone is too busy looking back at the dude who picked the ball, as oppose to finding a body to hit.

Advertisement
Advertisement

We had 3 INTS in the UVA game. We housed none of them. DBs are elusive enough. Also the other guys like completely clueless when it comes to blocking. Everyone is too busy looking back at the dude who picked the ball, as oppose to finding a body to hit.
Exactly. Too much celebrating or whatever after picks instead of trying to help the guy out with the ball.

Jug machine, and Ball drills can improve a players ball skills. What can you do to teach a player what to do when they get the ball in their hands?...
That’s not ball skills..that’s just catching the ball. Eye hand coordination..the NFL combine for example. The drills they use to gauge ball skills from WRs, DBs and RBS are not stationary drills such as the jug machine. Ball skills include how someone reacts/tracks a ball while running full speed down feild( think of a centerfielder). How comfortable does a guy look tracking a ball. Do they go up under control and attack at its highest point. Can they catch a ball while not breaking stride.

You can get a D lineman that can practice on the jugs and get used to just standing there catching the ball. It becomes almost muscle memory. With enough practice anyone can catch a ball standing stationary.

And that's ST coaching.

Advertisement
How many of our DBs played meaningful minutes of offense in HS? That helps a lot on INT returns.

This is the issue IMO. Notice how none of our DBs return kicks.

DJ Ivey, Al Blades and Te'Cory Couch are more pure corners than athletes with the ball in their hands. I don't think this is going to change anytime soon.

This is the issue IMO. Notice how none of our DBs return kicks.

DJ Ivey, Al Blades and Te'Cory Couch are more pure corners than athletes with the ball in their hands. I don't think this is going to change anytime soon.
They should, would rather have any of frierson or bandy back there as punt return rather than deejay Dallas. They both returned a bunch of tds on special teams in highschool . Doesn’t matter now that we got Jeff Thomas back who most likely will still be the punt returner

Someone already posted it. Look at the names of the people we had returning pick sixes then, versus the quality of athletes we have now. Not bad mouthing what we have now, but they’re nowhere near the level of the guys we had in those days.

Get back to me when we have that quality in the back again to see if we’re not returning more picks back.

Some good points made though about lack of blocking, and defensive philosophy. But I think the majority of it is just we had way better athletes then. Guys with solid NFL careers

Advertisement
I was going to say stop getting beat inside...but okay...let's work on interception returns instead.
Good thing the corners who were more susceptible to that the last 2 years are gone (referring to Michael jackson and jahvontae dean)

Advertisement
That’s not ball skills..that’s just catching the ball. Eye hand coordination..the NFL combine for example. The drills they use to gauge ball skills from WRs, DBs and RBS are not stationary drills such as the jug machine. Ball skills include how someone reacts/tracks a ball while running full speed down feild( think of a centerfielder). How comfortable does a guy look tracking a ball. Do they go up under control and attack at its highest point. Can they catch a ball while not breaking stride.

You can get a D lineman that can practice on the jugs and get used to just standing there catching the ball. It becomes almost muscle memory. With enough practice anyone can catch a ball standing stationary.
It comes back to alot of people here just dont really understand what they are watching. No pressure. Fans are fans but people need to learn to ask questions instead of assumptions. Besides scheme the biggest thing a db in our system needs to work on is film study so they can develop some confidence in their reads, & now we finally have a s & c who gives position groups their own workouts tailored to their positions needs. No matter what gus did he was never made to switch **** up. All positions and all players did the same exact workouts. You got qb/wr/db & rb all doing the same routine as offensive and defensive line & punters... say what yall want about swase but until he got fed up with all the dumb **** inhouse he never wouldve let no nonsense like that go down.

Someone already posted it. Look at the names of the people we had returning pick sixes then, versus the quality of athletes we have now. Not bad mouthing what we have now, but they’re nowhere near the level of the guys we had in those days.

Get back to me when we have that quality in the back again to see if we’re not returning more picks back.

Some good points made though about lack of blocking, and defensive philosophy. But I think the majority of it is just we had way better athletes then. Guys with solid NFL careers
Just a question here but what exactly makes you say these kids now are so inferior to them if not for NFL careers and hindsight brother? Maybe I'm in the minority here but I see these kids on a daily and played with half the people yall are talking about. While I'll never take anything away from my brothers as we all earned our respect and status, neither will I take anything away from these boys now or limit their future... the vast majority of them has worlds of potential and now it's the job of coaches to put them into position to realize that drive. To push them to succeed. For me other than scheme the biggest difference on this ENTIRE TEAM is we dont really have any true on field leadership. We dont have those boys holding each other accountable at all times at all costs. For me that really needs to change. Without that respect and fear to an extent that you'll let your brothers down you'll never be able to fully trust them. That's what great offenses or defenses are ALL ABOUT. Trusting that man next to you.

Advertisement
Back