One thing our dbs can improve on

That's because we had an entirely different approach. We played defense downhill. We attacked at every position. This defense even when we attack it comes from misdirection. Our dbs aren't aggressive enough at the point of attack or in and out of breaks. They track rather than attack. That's why we give up so much underneath. We need to shorten our drops and press.

Yea, scheme probably plays a small role here, so I do agree with you somewhat. However,

A defensive backfield with Ed Reed, Sean Taylor, Antrel Rolle, Kelly Jennings, Mike Rumph (have fun with the irony here), Al Blades (RIP), Mo Sikes (questionable), Greg Threat, Duane Starks, PBuch, etc you're bound to have a few pick 6's.

Just my opinion.

Advertisement
Ball skills and playmakers. Ball skills can be taught. Play making is natural ability. Other than Bandy, i think Bolden, Frierson and Hall have a lil play making ability just from watching HS highlights. We'll see if it translates to the college game

That's because we had an entirely different approach. We played defense downhill. We attacked at every position. This defense even when we attack it comes from misdirection. Our dbs aren't aggressive enough at the point of attack or in and out of breaks. They track rather than attack. That's why we give up so much underneath. We need to shorten our drops and press.
this could be a negative recruiting point too.

Advertisement

I agree - and I think that this comes from Manny's philosophy of creating havoc at the LOS. In order to continue that, we have to minimize risk on the back end. This is obviously speculation on my part but that is what my eyes tell me. Our DB's don't really "jump" routes necessarily (Bandy's pick against ND is the most obvious exception).

WTF,Can we just agree to agree, that we have agreed to an agreement that all ***king phases of this team need to improve. Agreed??

Advertisement
The issue is that our cbs play to attack but not to get picks as much. We have one of the most attacking, aggressive defenses in the game but who plays and attacks the ball by baiting qbs especially when they have immense pressure? Who has the ball skills and feel of the game to get the ball and read where the lanes are in a return? Sadly we don't really have that and I would rather a strong secondary without pick 6's then a secondary thats hit or miss

Advertisement
Ball skills and playmakers. Ball skills can be taught. Play making is natural ability. Other than Bandy, i think Bolden, Frierson and Hall have a lil play making ability just from watching HS highlights. We'll see if it translates to the college game
Ball skills can’t be taught. It can be worked on. But That’s natural reaction. Some cats are born with that and you can see it early in HS & even youth ball. Not every great athlete can play centerfield in baseball. Play making on the other hand can definitely be taught to great athletes.

Issue is there is no issue when it comes to the pick 6s. Simple explanation is that even 10 years ago most formation called for more fat guys on the field. In todays game you almost always have 4 or 5 WRs, most TEs are very athletic in the new schemes usually no true blocking TEs, plus the QB position it self has become athletic bc of RPOs. Just more cheetahs on the field.

Advertisement
Where was the explosiveness when they actually caught the interceptions? Growing up watching the early 2000 Miami teams it felt like a lot of the dbs had the ability to take it to the house .I feel We have lacked that and didn’t have the true playmakers to score when they got the ball and just looked quickly to get out of bounds. I think With some of the additions like frierson, bolden , gurvan hall and of course Trajan bandy in the secondary getting extensive time I think This will improve with the current crop of dbs imo. They know how to score with the ball in their hands.

Ball skills can’t be taught. It can be worked on. But That’s natural reaction. Some cats are born with that and you can see it early in HS & even youth ball. Not every great athlete can play centerfield in baseball. Play making on the other hand can definitely be taught to great athletes.
Jug machine, and Ball drills can improve a players ball skills. What can you do to teach a player what to do when they get the ball in their hands?...

Advertisement
Back