One reason our players make bad NFL decisions

Assuming either way (leave early or stay) they get a good second contract, isn't the real loss what they would have made between contract 1 leaving early vs contract 1 staying? if so, then starting to collect a year early on contract 1 and contract 2 might make some sense? someone should do the math to figure this out.

Losing money is losing money. NFL careers don’t last very long. If you get money in the first contract then your second contract will be even better

Advertisement
Too many people with agendas in south florida is at least a contributing factor. I have lived here my whole life, it's the truth.

Aren't the agents just as dumb? If they know a kid will improve by staying they should encourage them to stay...Also imagine how much better the U would be if a few of these early entries stayed at the U...sad! Especially Mark Walton who is a great college RB but not pro material.

Assuming either way (leave early or stay) they get a good second contract, isn't the real loss what they would have made between contract 1 leaving early vs contract 1 staying? if so, then starting to collect a year early on contract 1 and contract 2 might make some sense? someone should do the math to figure this out.

The issue is 85% of players never even make it to contract 2, and that's for guys who even make the roster.

A 5th rd pick gets little guaranteed while a 2nd rounder gets a lot more and is pretty much certain to have a roster spot. Our guys treat the NFL like they have a constitutional right to play. In reality, he average career is 2 years and almost half of all draft picks don't even make the 53 man roster

Aren't the agents just as dumb? If they know a kid will improve by staying they should encourage them to stay...Also imagine how much better the U would be if a few of these early entries stayed at the U...sad! Especially Mark Walton who is a great college RB but not pro material.
Some don't care about establishing long term relationships and just want to make a buck as quick as possible, even if it means losing out on potentially more later on.

Advertisement

The problem is small-time agents like Kawa. If Norton stays and turns into a 3rd-4th rounder, then he's signing with an established agent like Rosenhaus, not a fledgling one like kawa.

Small-time agents just want kids to leave because that's their only chance at signing them. They don't care about the kid, they care about possibly hitting on someone and making $. For the guys that don't make it, then they just drop them

I get what you're saying but it's an EXTREMELY optimistic view for these kids to take- especially when they've apparently just overrated their current draft stock. Here's the last graphic I found relating to salary differentials between draft rounds:

590239322f6ae426018b4b50-1136-851.png

The problem is small-time agents like Kawa. If Norton stays and turns into a 3rd-4th rounder, then he's signing with an established agent like Rosenhaus, not a fledgling one like kawa.

Small-time agents just want kids to leave because that's their only chance at signing them. They don't care about the kid, they care about possibly hitting on someone and making $. For the guys that don't make it, then they just drop them
I get what you're saying, but the same thing happened with McIntosh who is Rosenhaus' client

I get what you're saying but it's an EXTREMELY optimistic view for these kids to take- especially when they've apparently just overrated their current draft stock. Here's the last graphic I found relating to salary differentials between draft rounds:

View attachment 59674
it is optimistic. i think it would be great to know what the value of these second contracts are for the list provided by DMoney and how much they lost on their first contract by leaving early.

thanks for the chart

Advertisement
Here's a line Rick should use with the next player that is getting horrible advice or is set on making a bad choice:

"The last kid that didn't listen to me or the advisory board had multiple punters drafted before him."

*and that's assuming Norton gets drafted.

This is more accurate than funny. And anyone that tries to rationalize with Norton leaving early (ie - you don't know his financial situation, he wouldn't have done much better, etc.) just needs to stfu.

Pinckney is nowhere near a 2nd-3rd round pick. That's the type of thinking that gets these kids to make bad decisions. He's an undersized, bad body LB who won't run a good 40. He will not be drafted if he leaves after next year.

Joe Jack, Richards, Shaq, and Homer are top 3 round picks. If they all want to leave, it's hard to argue. Guys like Pinckney are borderline draft prospects. I mean McIntosh just had a great season, and he still didn't go till Rd 5. Pinckney is a good college LB, but he doesn't project well to the NFL.

McCloud and Bethel shouldn't even have a decision to make. Then again, when trash like Malki Kawa gets around these guys, who knows. Kawa told Norton he'd be a 2nd Rd pick. He's just scum, even for an agent

Pinckney's play is day 1/2 draft potential. But as you've said, a lot of teams are going to see the way he treats his body as a major red flag. Not taking care of your body in the NFL leads to more injuries and a shortened career.

I don't think Homer's a top 3 round draft pick (he's close and likely to go around where Walton went draft rankings-wise). But agree on the other 3 you mention. For RBs, I don't necessarily disagree with them leaving though given their short window to make money so long as they have a legit chance of actually making a team (like Walton).

In no way should McCloud and Bethel even think about leaving early. I agree with the general sentiment on the board - Richt needs to get in their ear along with Pinckney's and tell them to come back for their senior years. Shaq's one that if he takes the next step, I don't know how you realistically tell him to come back.

Last edited:
OK so I’m going to say what everyone is thinking but no one wants to write, is this a good thing for our program that these two guys followed poor vice and now are paying the price for it?

Losing money is losing money. NFL careers don’t last very long. If you get money in the first contract then your second contract will be even better

That's great and all. But of the 256 players that get drafted, not even 10% of those guys make it to their 2nd contracts. And if you're a day 3 pick (4th round or later), the odds are that much worst.

Advertisement
OK so I’m going to say what everyone is thinking but no one wants to write, is this a good thing for our program that these two guys followed poor vice and now are paying the price for it?

It's never a good thing. Clemson's entire d-line is stocked with guys that respectively at worst would've been 2nd round picks had they declared early. Every single one of them came back. Meanwhile, Norton had some sleazy salesman pitch him on leaving early and RJ followed because he was worried about double teams. I think RJ in the long run will be fine and could last in the NFL. But Norton is the real loser in all of this.

Pinckney's play is day 1/2 draft potential. But as you've said, a lot of teams are going to see the way he treats his bad as a major red flag. Not taking care of your body in the NFL leads to more injuries and a shortened career.

I don't think Homer's a top 3 round draft pick (he's close and likely to go around where Walton went draft rankings-wise). But agree on the other 3 you mention. For RBs, I don't necessarily disagree with them leaving though given their short window to make money so long as they have a legit chance of actually making a team (like Walton).

In no way should McCloud and Bethel even think about leaving early. I agree with the general sentiment on the board - Richt needs to get in their ear along with Pinckney's and tell them to come back for their senior years. Shaq's one that if he takes the next step, I don't know how you realistically tell him to come back.
Perryman was one of the best LBs in all of cfb his last 2 years and he was a 2nd round pick. Shaq or mike has not played anywhere the level of perryman and to think they would be drafted high is crazy.

Advertisement
The only reason people keep harping on our players leaving is bc we havent restocked the cubbord properly behind them.

In an ideal world, all players would be leaving after three years; if you dont have players behind them ready to step in then youre not handling the roster properly.

WilforkHOF BEGGING to argue about coaches. He’s itching for it.

Kaaya would have been a sixth or seventh round pick in this draft. Kid is garbage.

Pinckney is nowhere near a 2nd-3rd round pick. That's the type of thinking that gets these kids to make bad decisions. He's an undersized, bad body LB who won't run a good 40. He will not be drafted if he leaves after next year.

Joe Jack, Richards, Shaq, and Homer are top 3 round picks. If they all want to leave, it's hard to argue. Guys like Pinckney are borderline draft prospects. I mean McIntosh just had a great season, and he still didn't go till Rd 5. Pinckney is a good college LB, but he doesn't project well to the NFL.

McCloud and Bethel shouldn't even have a decision to make. Then again, when trash like Malki Kawa gets around these guys, who knows. Kawa told Norton he'd be a 2nd Rd pick. He's just scum, even for an agent

Can you confirm/link to this?

If true, that's a pretty big ****-up.

Perryman was one of the best LBs in all of cfb his last 2 years and he was a 2nd round pick. Shaq or mike has not played anywhere the level of perryman and to think they would be drafted high is crazy.

Oh, I agree with you. Shaq's been good, as has Pinckney, but neither played up to what Perryman did during his time year. That, and NFL staffs saw he was playing in a defense that limited him as well. I think Shaq has an opportunity at a 1st/2nd round selection if he takes it to the next level.

Also remember, Perryman went into the 2nd round simply because of his physical measurables. If he was your prototypical LB size, he easily would've went into the 1st.

Advertisement
Back