One reason our players make bad NFL decisions

I wouldn't be shocked if Pinckney left with Shaq, if he & Shaq continue to play at a high level both of them will be picked between rounds 1-3 (Shaq is a mid-late 1st/2nd round player with another year of production & Pinck is a 2nd/3rd imo).

The one who better stick is McCloud, if he decides to follow his boys & declare early he'll be making a huge mistake. People within the program need to get in his ear right now & start getting him to understand that leaving early would be his worse decision. I know as fans we're all hard on him, but our Defense can use him as a Senior & he still has value to this team.

Also hope Pat Bethel pays close attention to RJ & Kendrick, he shouldn't listen to anybody that says he should come out after his Junior year. Don't think he will, but in case some agent does, we need somebody in the program to smack the sh*t out of whoever tries to talk Bethel into declaring lol.

I love you man but this is exactly the problem.

Shaq and Mikes trajectories are not taking them to the first 1-3 rounds. Just stop assuming. It’s whats ******** these kids over.

Advertisement
It's amazing all this talk of our current LB's possibly leaving when the Bermuda Triangle all stayed till their senior years(and Armstead was hampered by injuries, I realize) and guys like Dan Morgan stayed all four

Different era, unfortunately.
Higher percentage of kids are viewing college football strictly as a layover for the NFL.
It's not all their fault, IMO, as the sport has grown exponentially in money earnings and these
kids, many of whom hailed from less than ideal circumstances, want theirs too and they often
don't have good guidance.

Last edited:
Will be curious how he uses his protege who covers Canes, Gators and blows Alabama recruits.........

There's really no place for that here. If you want to 'show love' to your friends who are openly dissing UM and pumping sunshine about UF on Twitter, do it. You just can't then turn around and be a staff writer for a Canes website. We may not demand blind homerism all of the time, but giving over-the-pants handjobs to UF and Bama is just a really bad look for a staff member here.

The saddest part is that it's exactly the type of front-running crap that you see all over South Florida. We've come to expect handlers like Genron and self-promoters like Luke waving whichever flag suits them from day to day. And now we have to put up with it on fan websites.

Advertisement
I love you man but this is exactly the problem.

Shaq and Mikes trajectories are not taking them to the first 1-3 rounds. Just stop assuming. It’s whats ******** these kids over.

Is college football following basketballs ONE AND DONE , looks like it's been evolving towards that in a different way and use the bailout phrase "it's for my family". I thought getting a FREE ride to a degree was for you and your family.

I'm going to guess here ,I figure 75% plus don't make it in the NFL basketball even worse with estimated 50 spots open and hundreds leave early with another 500 or so graduating terrible odds all so , I would think a degree in hand would give better odds if not then why are there colleges and technical schools?

GOCANES

Here is Walterfootball's early prognostication for some of our guys in the 2019 Draft:

Miami_logo.gif
Shaquille Quarterman*, OLB/ILB, Miami
Height: 6-1. Weight: 240.
Projected 40 Time: 4.68.
Projected Round (2019): 2-4.

• Miami_logo.gif
    Michael Pinckney*, OLB, Miami
    Height: 6-1. Weight: 220.
    Projected 40 Time: 4.69.
    Projected Round (2019): 3-5.

They've got two Gaytors and a Nole ranked ahead of Shaq and Pinckney. Point is, our guys are not projected to have good 40 times and both could conceivably be taken in the 4th round or later.

I wonder if RJ and Norton are truly happy with their decisions considering where they were drafted. I’m sure they were told they’d be going top 3 rounds by the always honest agents out there.

Norton is going to be fighting for a roster spot on a good Carolina D. He may very well bounce around for 2-3 years and be done. I think most would agree he made a mistake.

Seeing RJ go in the 5th round killed me since he has the talent to be a Round1-3 guy. Another year of development plus film would certainly have raised his value. NFL loves quick, penetrating guys on the inside.

I don’t know how it will change, if ever, but this streak of guys making the wrong decision has to.

Draft stock rarely, if ever goes down unless the player in question gets injured during his senior year. Which is also very rare.

Advertisement
I wonder if RJ and Norton are truly happy with their decisions considering where they were drafted. I’m sure they were told they’d be going top 3 rounds by the always honest agents out there.

Norton is going to be fighting for a roster spot on a good Carolina D. He may very well bounce around for 2-3 years and be done. I think most would agree he made a mistake.

Seeing RJ go in the 5th round killed me since he has the talent to be a Round1-3 guy. Another year of development plus film would certainly have raised his value. NFL loves quick, penetrating guys on the inside.

I don’t know how it will change, if ever, but this streak of guys making the wrong decision has to.

They should stop watching BALLERS on HBO and there mooching friends

GOCANES

Assuming either way (leave early or stay) they get a good second contract, isn't the real loss what they would have made between contract 1 leaving early vs contract 1 staying? if so, then starting to collect a year early on contract 1 and contract 2 might make some sense? someone should do the math to figure this out.

They focus on money first , that’s the problem period.

Until they get the free lunch out and break that chain it will continue, it’s sad but there own choices .

They tell you they know and ignore common sense so be it .

Wish them well and let them go sad.

Typical adult adolescent, real world will snap them out of it in unemployment line.

GOCANES

Perryman was one of the best LBs in all of cfb his last 2 years and he was a 2nd round pick. Shaq or mike has not played anywhere the level of perryman and to think they would be drafted high is crazy.

Perryman wasn't drafted in the 1st only bc he is 5'11" but u make a great point. Shaq's issue is he doesnt make enough impact plays to warrant leaving early based off of his work so far. That switch could turn on this year and he may have something to think about after the end of the season.

Pinckney has a couple variables working against him... he is undersized and looks physically out of shape. Doesnt look like he will do well at the NFL combine. But he has the instincts and attitude of a big time fb player.

Both should stay until their Senior year imo... Unless McCloud wants to play in Canada than he shouldnt even be thinking about leaving early at this point.

Norton and McIntosh made huge mistakes going pro. That got me thinking: why do our players consistently make bad NFL decisions?

There are several reasons, but I think a big one is this: Miami has eight of the 200 highest paid players in the NFL. Nobody has more players in the Top 200. Only Georgia (with Richt) has more players in the Top 100. These are the names:

Olivier Vernon (3rd)
Greg Olsen (1st)
Brandon Linder (3rd)
Calais Campbell (2nd)
Jimmy Graham (3rd)
Allen Hurns (UFA)
Lamar Miller (4th)
Travis Benjamin (4th)

Our guys are getting paid on their second contracts. These guys hang around the program, and players notice. Their mindset is just getting into the league and letting their play carry them to a big deal.

But banking on your second contract is a huge mistake. You can get hurt, and Day 3 picks get a lot less leeway than Day 1 picks. Guys like Norton and Kaaya need to be cautionary tales to the Michael Pickneys of the world. Be like Chad Thomas and leave a legacy in Miami.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/davidc...rs-from-each-power-five-program/#6f80e38c1ef6

It's kind of a double edged sword though. I could see the logic of leaving early and getting paid with the hope of bumping your stock once in the league than continuing another year in college, still risking getting hurt, and then possibly losing out on the draft all together.

I think we just need to recruit kids who are also big on getting their degrees too.

It would be interesting to see the type of guys Richt recruited at Georgia and it they tended to stay longer and get their degrees. It's really about the type of kids being recruited and getting a sense of their priorities in life and how important education is as opposed to recruiting kids just using the academic institution as a quick ticket to the league.

Advertisement
One of my partners is an NFL agent and there is so much truth in this thread. Agents need new clients and a contract, any contract, produces a fee for them. So, some will say anything to get a client. I will say, the good agents who have lower round clients send them to combine training camps. Almost all of these guys can improve their test numbers by proper coaching. They ALL can learn how to interview. That may raise their draft location by 25-50 places. That is a lot of money. To see our guys test poorly suggests to me that their agents are jokes. If you are a first or second round guy-leave and make your money (send some back to the U!). If the NFL tells you you are a lower round guy, you are an idiot to leave. Rant over.

Unless Shaq and Pinckney have an amazing year that far exceeds expectations, they need to stay. The difference between 4th round and 2nd round money is huge. If they're afraid of getting hurt, buy insurance. They could easily get a policy to protect themselves. There really is no reason to leave early if you legitimately could get taken in the 4th round, which right now is a serious possibility for both.

The odds of some catastrophic injury are way, way lower than the odds of leaving a million on the table.

I’m not agreeing with McIntosh’s decision but I do question those who say he’s a 1-3 round talent.

He had a great season with us, was our highest rated defensive player, went to the combine and had his pro day.

Despite his lack of polish, isn’t it logical a 1st or even 2nd round talent wouldn’t have gone in the 5th round?

The NFL constantly drafts on potential. Why would first round potential at one of the biggest positions of need in football stay on the board that long?

Advertisement
One of my partners is an NFL agent and there is so much truth in this thread. Agents need new clients and a contract, any contract, produces a fee for them. So, some will say anything to get a client. I will say, the good agents who have lower round clients send them to combine training camps. Almost all of these guys can improve their test numbers by proper coaching. They ALL can learn how to interview. That may raise their draft location by 25-50 places. That is a lot of money. To see our guys test poorly suggests to me that their agents are jokes. If you are a first or second round guy-leave and make your money (send some back to the U!). If the NFL tells you you are a lower round guy, you are an idiot to leave. Rant over.

Money to these kids blocks out every hint of coaching, common sense and anything having to do with what’s good for these kids.

MONEY AND PRIDE TEAM UP , FAIL TO FOLLOW

GOCANES

I’m not agreeing with McIntosh’s decision but I do question those who say he’s a 1-3 round talent.

He had a great season with us, was our highest rated defensive player, went to the combine and had his pro day.

Despite his lack of polish, isn’t it logical a 1st or even 2nd round talent wouldn’t have gone in the 5th round?

The NFL constantly drafts on potential. Why would first round potential at one of the biggest positions of need in football stay on the board that long?

majority of NFL scouts have no clue what theyre doing and have no clue how to identify and compare talent... did u see the list of some of the future bust that were drafted ahead of him at DT?

Every year the NFL drafts players ahead of other players that arent anywhere near as good as the ones that were passed up... plenty of different reasons as to why but it all boils down to NFL scouts and GMs not having a clue.

"underwhelmed" is being very nice. At first glance, he was the worst athlete at the iDL position drafted this year.

I'm willing to give him a little leeway due to injury...but he tested like he straight up can't play. Improving his scores marginally due to injury still make him a poor athlete.

As for the fit...going to be interesting. The Giants added three front seven players in the draft (BJ Hill, Lo Carter, and RJM) and are changing it up to a 34. He's got some work ahead of him if he's going to justify jumping early.

3-4 defensive end seems like a good fit for RJ

Advertisement
Back