One on One with N'Kosi Perry

Advertisement
Like the prioritizing of winning. Even when asked about individual stuff his answer was winning focused. His humble team first attitude is always a good trait in my opinion. Looking forward to seeing him live.

Go Canes!

I like his answer about coming out of the smoke. A QB can't be a hype monster, he has to keep his emotions in check and be focused to lead effectively.

Always makes me laugh when people would say they wanted Kaaya to show more "passion". Better to be a focused leader and keep your players on offense focused on the next play and their assignments. Sounds like Perry understands that.

Tight spiral and great placement. I hope he's the goods when live shots are firing.

Advertisement
Like the prioritizing of winning. Even when asked about individual stuff his answer was winning focused. His humble team first attitude is always a good trait in my opinion. Looking forward to seeing him live.

Go Canes!

Agree. I'm a big fan of athletes that really prioritize team success above their own! And I think it's a really big deal for players in leadership roles.

Go Canes!

Bingo.

"Individual goals? ...whatever comes with winning"

:U5PyXda:

"Individual goals? Whatever comes with winning."

Have mercy I've seen that question asked to a million players and that's the best response I've ever heard.

Kid is going 42-0 in his career.

Advertisement
If he were here in the Spring I think he would already have this thing locked up.

Even with that said, the fact he still has a shot to start with such a short time speaks volumes as to how good he can be.

I wouldn't be shocked one bit if he's not named the starter, because Richt tends to go with the more sure thing, but I'm curious to see if Perry will be redshirted if he's not the starter.

Ordinarily, you Red a Frosh QB that isn't going to start, but I'm guessing that depends on how Rosier/Shirreffs perform in the scrimmages.

He can get valuable reps in the 2nd halves of games like Bethune, Ark St, Toledo, Cuse etc., or he might just get the shirt & the QB comp for 2018 will be even crazier, especially if one of the upperclassmen find a way to win us 10 games.

If he were here in the Spring I think he would already have this thing locked up.

Even with that said, the fact he still has a shot to start with such a short time speaks volumes as to how good he can be.

I wouldn't be shocked one bit if he's not named the starter, because Richt tends to go with the more sure thing, but I'm curious to see if Perry will be redshirted if he's not the starter.

Ordinarily, you Red a Frosh QB that isn't going to start, but I'm guessing that depends on how Rosier/Shirreffs perform in the scrimmages.

He can get valuable reps in the 2nd halves of games like Bethune, Ark St, Toledo, Cuse etc., or he might just get the shirt & the QB comp for 2018 will be even crazier, especially if one of the upperclassmen find a way to win us 10 games.

I think there's almost zero chance Perry redshirts. He'll play in the first couple games even if he's not starting just to see what he can do in live action. Unless Rosier or Shirreffs goes all the way off immediately out of the gate, I'd expect this QB battle/rotation, at least between 2 QBs, to keep going for a few weeks.

Rick might even go into the season with a "N'Kosi package" to get him reps at specific times with a limited playbook to give defenses something else to look at.

Advertisement
I think Kaaya was a very good QB but he seemed like a little bit of a scatterbrain to me. I don't think he was very confident in his abilities. He would read what the media would say about him and believe it. This kid Nkosi seems to have a quiet confidence about him. The way college football has gone the last few years the teams competing for ships have dual-threat guys. Why not recruit a guy who forces the defense to account for his arm AND his running ability? I really think Miami got a stud here. Loved the interview and excited to watch him this year. He just seems like a baller.

I think there's almost zero chance Perry redshirts. He'll play in the first couple games even if he's not starting just to see what he can do in live action. Unless Rosier or Shirreffs goes all the way off immediately out of the gate, I'd expect this QB battle/rotation, at least between 2 QBs, to keep going for a few weeks.

Rick might even go into the season with a "N'Kosi package" to get him reps at specific times with a limited playbook to give defenses something else to look at.
I tend to agree with that.

Plus, whoever is named the starter isn't necessarily going to stay the starter the whole season if they sh*t the bed early vs FSU.

It would be in the best interest of the team for Richt to make sure that all 3 guys are ready just in case.

Advertisement

It's funny, not sure if you read that bama article about the QB transfers. But Saban had a package like that for Hurts in the USC game and two series in Hurts went in for that package. Don't think he came off the field the rest of the season.

Yeah, I agree that regardless of who wins the starting spot to open the season, Perry will see game action this year.

Now, to open Pandora's box: What if Evan Shireffs is named the started and he balls out this year. Wins 10+ games, throws 30 touchdown passes, maybe manages a win in Trailerhassee? Does Rich redshirt Perry next season and ride the Evan train? (Or Malik, whichever you prefer to use in this hypothetical)

I tend to agree with that.

Plus, whoever is named the starter isn't necessarily going to stay the starter the whole season if they sh*t the bed early vs FSU.

It would be in the best interest of the team for Richt to make sure that all 3 guys are ready just in case.

We could very easily see a parallel to the Clemson situation when Cole Stoudt was the starter with Watson breathing down his neck right away.

Advertisement
Back