One on One with N'Kosi Perry

"My ability to stretch plays, make them longer, and still complete passes down the field"

That is something we haven't seen in years from our starting qb. Most of yall dont seem to realize how much of an impact that has on finishing drives, receivers getting more opportunities, scoring points, and winning games.

Advertisement
Very little chance Perry redshirts.

The only scenario where this is even possible, is if someone else is named the starter, they ball out, start having an all American type year, and maybe Perry gets a little nagging injury. Under those highly unlikely circumstances, yes he might redshirt then.

Advertisement
If he were here in the Spring I think he would already have this thing locked up.

Even with that said, the fact he still has a shot to start with such a short time speaks volumes as to how good he can be.

I wouldn't be shocked one bit if he's not named the starter, because Richt tends to go with the more sure thing, but I'm curious to see if Perry will be redshirted if he's not the starter.

Ordinarily, you Red a Frosh QB that isn't going to start, but I'm guessing that depends on how Rosier/Shirreffs perform in the scrimmages.

He can get valuable reps in the 2nd halves of games like Bethune, Ark St, Toledo, Cuse etc., or he might just get the shirt & the QB comp for 2018 will be even crazier, especially if one of the upperclassmen find a way to win us 10 games.

I think he should play this year for the reasons you outlined. But I would also redshirt Sits next year to get him ready, and to get some separation between the 2.

I like his answer about coming out of the smoke. A QB can't be a hype monster, he has to keep his emotions in check and be focused to lead effectively.

Always makes me laugh when people would say they wanted Kaaya to show more "passion". Better to be a focused leader and keep your players on offense focused on the next play and their assignments. Sounds like Perry understands that.

Look at Tom Brady, Peyton, Marino, etc., they didn't stand back there like a dead fish. No one was asking Kaaya to be a cheerleader but the only time he showed any emotion was against App St. And that's because he wasn't confident in himself. Of course you want calm and collected but you also want a guy who wants to win. But leaders are vocal, confident.

"My ability to stretch plays, make them longer, and still complete passes down the field"

That is something we haven't seen in years from our starting qb. Most of yall dont seem to realize how much of an impact that has on finishing drives, receivers getting more opportunities, scoring points, and winning games.
So many 3rd downs missed and drives ended because Kaaya couldn't run for ****. I remember a play where Kaaya had a clear 10 yards and 1st down if he scrambles and he ends up throwing it away

Advertisement

So many 3rd downs missed and drives ended because Kaaya couldn't run for ****. I remember a play where Kaaya had a clear 10 yards and 1st down if he scrambles and he ends up sacking himself

FIFY

I don't know whats going to happen, but I do know that things tend to slow down with repetition and familiarity. He's seems the unfazed type who focuses on making positive things happen, not on who's coming at him.

Yeah, I agree that regardless of who wins the starting spot to open the season, Perry will see game action this year.

Now, to open Pandora's box: What if Evan Shireffs is named the started and he balls out this year. Wins 10+ games, throws 30 touchdown passes, maybe manages a win in Trailerhassee? Does Rich redshirt Perry next season and ride the Evan train? (Or Malik, whichever you prefer to use in this hypothetical)

You stick with the sheriff in this situation, barring injury.

Yeah, I agree that regardless of who wins the starting spot to open the season, Perry will see game action this year.

Now, to open Pandora's box: What if Evan Shireffs is named the started and he balls out this year. Wins 10+ games, throws 30 touchdown passes, maybe manages a win in Trailerhassee? Does Rich redshirt Perry next season and ride the Evan train? (Or Malik, whichever you prefer to use in this hypothetical)

LoL. Do you know how quarterbacks at Miami have thrown 30 touchdown passes in a season? None. Miami is finishing 11-1 if Shirreffs (or Rosier) throws 30 touchdown passes especially with this defense, which will be better than advertised in my opinion. Delaney and Dean fixed any corner concerns. Shirreffs (or Rosier) becomes our guy and Perry is the heir apparent. I'm good with that. When Miami was dominant you waited your turn patiently and left balled out when you became "the guy". That being said Perry is going to get his chance and probably very early.

Advertisement
College football is not about "wait your turn" anymore. If you ballin early, you playing early. The mindset of the fanbase has got to evolve like the game. If Perry takes us to another level that the others can't and he's showed that he can run the offense mentally, thats who we should ride with. I think he takes over during the fswho game til he leaves campus.

He will play, he will play against FSU, and he will either take over by game 8 full time barring injury, or we will all be disappointed.

Advertisement

So many 3rd downs missed and drives ended because Kaaya couldn't run for ****. I remember a play where Kaaya had a clear 10 yards and 1st down if he scrambles and he ends up throwing it away

Not only just running for 1st downs when it's obvious that's the best decision but also extending plays behind the line of scrimmage so WRs can get open and make more plays in space. Subtle things like that allows WRs like Berrios to take advantage of their skill set against one on one matchups.

I'm sold.

Miami is due for a special QB. I hope this kid is it.

Last edited:
Whoever the starter is will have a short leash, and that's all that really matters to me. I want to see all of them in game action early in the season.

Advertisement
Back