one of the toughest jobs Ed Reed will have this offseason...

Forget Ed Reed.... Have Bandy come back and tell his story.
And Jeff Thomas, Streeter and the list goes on. I understand a lot of different factors play into this. Like not wanting to do schoolwork, providing for family, etc. But if you have no money coming in and didnt finish your degree....did you better your life?

Last edited:
Advertisement
will be convincing draft eligible players not going in the 1st round to come back. lets face it, we probably lose cam and brevin is a no brainer. given our history of losing anyone projected in the 5th round or worse, Ed's influence and experience (coming back for another year) may be able to convince guys to come back and make a run next year.

if not, we stand to lose potentially cam, brevin, bolden, Philips, nesta, blades.

maybe Ed can convince king and the others not projected in the 1st 2 rounds to come back, which we haven't been able to do in a long time.

Cam, Brevin - gone
Bolden - gone if he keeps up
Phillips, Nesta, Blades - thinking about it. I think they could all use another year of film at this point. Who knows, if they ball out the rest of the season they might get decent draft grades

If we keep Phillips, Nesta and Blades, huge win
Keep Bolden, crown the staff

We always have idiots who think they are better than they really are.

When was the last time we had a someone declare early and it ended up being a good decision?

They all should stay.

Cam should not stay. RBs with film should declare. He has enough for scouts to evaluate. Brevin is no worse than 2nd round and should go (probably 1st round).

I’m enjoying this year. It’s a bye week.
philips is either going because of injuries in the past and gonna get paid or comes back because he needs one more of film.

and no one is disputing 1st round guys. It’s the 3-FA guys we astonishingly lose. The bandy’s.

Advertisement
Cam should not stay. RBs with film should declare. He has enough for scouts to evaluate. Brevin is no worse than 2nd round and should go (probably 1st round).
I think Cam should stay. Be our Michel /Chubb senior leader .

Jordan needs to prove he can stay healthy for a full season.

I would not be surprised to see either of those guys leave though. I just do not agree with them going.

Blades and Nesta should come back (probably), Cam and Brevin should not. Bubba?...who is a better S in college ball.
Lecounte at Georgia, Cicso at Cuse...what other safeties are there? I'm sure there are some but they are the ones that jump to mind.
The OSU safety from Duval. Shaun something.

How about this, let’s say everyone comes back. That’s a playoff contending team right there, especially with this upcoming recruiting class.

Advertisement
I think Cam should stay. Be our Michel /Chubb senior leader .

Jordan needs to prove he can stay healthy for a full season.

I would not be surprised to see either of those guys leave though. I just do not agree with them going.

Selfishly Cam coming back would be great. I see your point on Brevin that's why I alluded to possibly 2nd round. Other than Pitts I'm not sure of many other TEs coming out that would get high looks from scouts. It's Jordan and Pitts IMO. Brevin is a complete TE, Pitts probably a better receiver.

If King stays and we're cooking this season I'd respect the **** out of all of them if they came back to make a run.

will be convincing draft eligible players not going in the 1st round to come back. lets face it, we probably lose cam and brevin is a no brainer. given our history of losing anyone projected in the 5th round or worse, Ed's influence and experience (coming back for another year) may be able to convince guys to come back and make a run next year.

if not, we stand to lose potentially cam, brevin, bolden, Philips, nesta, blades.

maybe Ed can convince king and the others not projected in the 1st 2 rounds to come back, which we haven't been able to do in a long time.

Absolutely true.

Advertisement
They're all gone, just enjoy the season & accept it.

It's on the staff to develop the guys behind them & get them ready to play for next year.

Can't keep hiding behind transfers every year & expecting them to bail you out from doing your job, unless your strategy is to just ransack the Portal every year, then that defeats the purpose of recruiting in the first place.

But hoping against hope that these kids don't all declare early is only going to leave you disappointed. ****, Rousseau should still be playing this year even with being a projected 1st rounder, we're lucky Brevin didn't opt out.

This is just the new era of college football, until these kids have an incentive to stay in school, they're gonna leave the first chance they get, whether it's a good idea or not, no sense in getting mad at'em, just enjoy the players we got & hope they're good enough fast enough to help us win games.

If yall are expecting kids to stay in school for 4+ years, I suggest you build a time machine.

Advertisement
Ultimately, all cases are different. Some guys have excruciating circumstances and have little choice but to go pro, but all things being equal here's my take. If I'm not mistaken, the minimum rookie salary is $600k. That's a ton of money, no doubt. However, as we all know getting drafted doesn't necessarily mean a team won't cut you. I think unless you're getting a 1st or 2nd round grade from the NFL then you should think long and hard about coming back for another season.

So what’s the difference between our boys leaving early, and Clemson’s and Bama’s not? I thought if you built a suitable culture in a program, and players bought into it, they’d return. What are we missing? what Does ER bring to the table In that respect?

So what’s the difference between our boys leaving early, and Clemson’s and Bama’s not? I thought if you built a suitable culture in a program, and players bought into it, they’d return. What are we missing? what Does ER bring to the table In that respect?

There are differences. May not be obvious, but they exist.

I'll give you one example. For the Miami players who have jumped too soon, most of them got their "overly optimistic information" from agents and runners.

On the other hand, if you have an NFL HOF'er to talk with, a guy who is known for giving straight-talk, and a guy who has a lot of connections, those same kids might take his advice more seriously than, say, their own position coach. This is one of the reasons why I was in favor of hiring Alonzo Highsmith (before Ed Reed emerged as a candidate), because you had a history of Alonzo being an evaluator for NFL teams.

Again, you can't just sum it up with one overly simplistic word like "culture". That is certainly part of it. But I think that honesty and trust are important too, and you need a counterpoint to the poison that agents/runners are dripping in these kids' ears.

They're all gone, just enjoy the season & accept it.

It's on the staff to develop the guys behind them & get them ready to play for next year.

Can't keep hiding behind transfers every year & expecting them to bail you out from doing your job, unless your strategy is to just ransack the Portal every year, then that defeats the purpose of recruiting in the first place.

But hoping against hope that these kids don't all declare early is only going to leave you disappointed. ****, Rousseau should still be playing this year even with being a projected 1st rounder, we're lucky Brevin didn't opt out.

This is just the new era of college football, until these kids have an incentive to stay in school, they're gonna leave the first chance they get, whether it's a good idea or not, no sense in getting mad at'em, just enjoy the players we got & hope they're good enough fast enough to help us win games.

If yall are expecting kids to stay in school for 4+ years, I suggest you build a time machine.
When does NIL go into effect again? Could provide some of that incentive that doesn't exist today

Advertisement
Back