On Judd Anderson

Was Jake Garcia considered elite out of HS? Did he take their spot? Number 48 overall player in his class 16 spots from a 5 star.

The reason we chased a transfer the same reason Ohio State chased Will Howard. QB evaluation is incredibly difficult. Even schools that are stacking top ranked QB’s are taking QB’s in the portal. Your argument is flawed.
When Jake Garcia couldn’t land the starting job he transferred. Miami should have had a blue chip option to take his place right away. But they didn’t and we got stuck with a bunch of projects.

The funny thing is, Miami’s coaches actually believe in trying to sign blue chip quarterbacks. They went hard after Rashada and hard after Air Nolan. They DON’T want to be in the situation they found themselves in with nobody besides projects. This isn’t some kind of smart long-play where Miami refuses to pay for quarterback recruits because they want to develop the “hidden gems”. They’re not in the position they’re in because they think signing portal rentals and 3 star projects is the best move. They’re stuck here because their first choice didn’t work out so they’re essentially scrambling to make it work.

Advertisement
How did they get the Heisman Trophy winner? How did Oregon get that “stacked QB room?” Who is Ohio State’s QB right now?

You keep trying to excuse the simple facts of today’s game: almost all of the top QBs do absolutely nothing for the teams that sign them, and almost all of the top QBs in college and in the draft are from the Portal.

I’m going to say this as respectfully as possible, b/c now u’re conflating points: no one has said taking a portal QB is wrong, but u’re continuing to gaslight this board w/ this disingenuous premise.

1. Transfer QBs have been around a lot longer than some **** portal. This is not some new phenomenon; the only difference is now guys don’t have to sit out a year

2. U CONTINUALLY excuse the fact that these schools, transfer portal be damned, are still seeking BLUE CHIP QBS EVERY CYCLE! Which is y we see an influx of transfers. U talk about Burrows; why did he transfer, D$? Where was OSU’s QB room? Did LSU stop recruiting blue chip QBs b/c they got Burrow? U bring up Daniels; do u know y Daniels transferred? B/c of ASU penalties due to NIL. ASU lost 17 players during the NCAA investigation. But again, did Chip Kelly STOP recruiting blue chip QBs? No.

Schools are taking transfer portal QBs if they feel their young guys still need development, AND still being greedy going after HS Blue Chip QBs.

When Daniels sat out the bowl game, LSU’s Blue Chip QB from HS came right in & killed. He’s been sitting for a minute.

So stop putting words in my mouth; my issue is we have a room full of developmental, take a flyer on QBs. If we didn’t get Cam, we would be screwed, period. No elite team is saying, “let’s recruit every HS QB who’s 3* and below, & then we’ll hope to address the starter via portal.” Not one.

Last edited:
I’m going to say this as respectfully as possible, b/c now u’re conflating points: no one has said taking a portal QB is wrong, but u’re continuing to gaslight this board w/ this disingenuous premise.

1. Transfer QBs have been a lot longer than some **** portal. This is not some new phenomenon; the only difference is now guys don’t have to sit out a year

2. U CONTINUALL excuse the back that these schools, transfer portal be damned, are still seeking BLUE CHIP QBS EVERY CYCLE! Which is y we see an influx of transfers. U talk about Burrows; why did he transfer, D$? Where was OSU’s QB room? Did LSU stop recruiting blue chip QBs b/c they got Burrow? U bring up Daniels; do u know y Daniels transferred? B/c of ASU penalties due to NIL. ASU lost 17 players during the NCAA investigation. But again, did Chip Kelly STOP recruiting blue chip QBs? No.

Schools are taking transfer portal QBs if they feel their young guys still need development, AND still being greedy going after HS Blue Chip QBs.

When Daniels sat out the bowl game, LSU’s Blue Chip QB from HS came right in & killed. He’s been sitting for a minute.

So stop putting words in my mouth; my issue is we have a room full of developmental, take a flyer on QBs. If we didn’t get Cam, we would be screwed, period. No elite team is saying, “let’s recruit every HS QB who’s 3* and below, & then we’ll hope to address the starter via portal.” Not one.
You’ve gotten real ornery lately. I guess that’s what Cis does to people.

1. Transfer QBs have been a lot longer than some **** portal. This is not some new phenomenon; the only difference is now guys don’t have to sit out a year

2. U CONTINUALL excuse the back that these schools, transfer portal be damned, are still seeking BLUE CHIP QBS EVERY CYCLE! Which is y we see an influx of transfers. U talk about Burrows; why did he transfer, D$? Where was OSU’s QB room? Did LSU stop recruiting blue chip QBs b/c they got Burrow? U bring up Daniels; do u know y Daniels transferred? B/c of ASU penalties due to NIL. ASU lost 17 players during the NCAA investigation. But again, did Chip Kelly STOP recruiting blue chip QBs? No.

Kevin Durant Mvp GIF by NBA

The part you keep skipping over is none of those teams are bringing in Emory and Judds to the QB room. They are still recrruiting blue chip QBs. Because that is how you build a team through COMPETITION. If this is those players transfer is the argument why not just forego signing a QB from HS and just sign one in the portal? We would be better off.

Julian Sayin just entered the portal who we were high on just a month ago. Instead of pursuing him even though he has 1) no new film 2) hasn't even practiced. He is not even an option because we have 3 QBs on the roster that aren't close to being ready. Wouldn't it make sense to replace those players with a high upside talent.
MONEY!

Advertisement
1. Transfer QBs have been around a lot longer than some **** portal. This is not some new phenomenon; the only difference is now guys don’t have to sit out a year

Come on, man. That's the whole point. The one-year rule is the reason why transfer QBs dominate the Heisman race and the draft.

2. U CONTINUALLY excuse the fact that these schools, transfer portal be damned, are still seeking BLUE CHIP QBS EVERY CYCLE!
This is where otherwise well-informed people like you and @01Canes struggle with the reality of recruiting.

We aren't Alabama, Ohio State or Georgia. We can't sell track record. We have to pay extra to be in the game.

So if we want to catch up, we need to be smart with our dollars. And the overwhelming evidence shows that, in 2024, high school QBs are a bad use of money.

Overpay for proven players like Cam Ward. If you overpay a high school kid, overpay a lineman, WR or CB. Don't throw money at a position that has a 75% chance of giving you zero value.

Fair enough. You spend more money on the proven commodity than an unknown one. I understand that premise.

But if a team is going that route at the most important position in football, it needs a better back-up plan than Anderson. I don't want a $2.5M starter and $25,000 back-up.

Yes, we should be trying to throw around big money for P4 starter-quality portal QBs.
Yes, we should also be throwing some (albeit it much less) money for solid HS QBs.
…so Luke nickel? lol.
The exact same strategy that got Emory and Judd also got us Nickel and yet everyone seems to be fully aboard that take. He’s only a 3star today. Plus I’d say Emory looks like a perfectly fine take.
I agree with your point that there is a lot of room to spend a decent amount on hs QBs rather than just going for extremely cheap and very low rated ones or the best of the best high price tag ones. mid 4stars are those types. But qb evaluation is difficult and the only thing different between nickel and Judd is that more people on CIS believe in his potential. Did anything about nickel change if he ends up getting a 4th star?

Come on, man. That's the whole point. The one-year rule is the reason why transfer QBs dominate the Heisman race and the draft.

This is where otherwise well-informed people like you and @01Canes struggle with the reality of recruiting.

We aren't Alabama, Ohio State or Georgia. We can't sell track record. We have to pay extra to be in the game.

So if we want to catch up, we need to be smart with our dollars. And the overwhelming evidence shows that, in 2024, high school QBs are a bad use of money.

Overpay for proven players like Cam Ward. If you overpay a high school kid, overpay a lineman, WR or CB. Don't throw money at a position that has a 75% chance of giving you zero value.

& if Ward goes down?

Advertisement
That's true but wouldn't you rather have a two or three year starter than have to rely on signing a portal guy every year?
Portal guys can be 2 yr starters.
To get a 3yr starter you need a hs qb to start as a freshman (more steal soneones young expensive 5star qb sitting the bench lol)To do that you want to go into the hs recruitment targeting the best prospect and get him. Getting the 5th best with the plan to pay him a lot and start him right away isn’t a better plan than getting the top portal qb….but getting the #1 guy in hs that your ultra confident in and ready to take freshman lumps… yeah that’s nice.

Advertisement
Stroud and Young were home runs in the Class of 2020. Here are the rest of the Top 10 quarterback recruits that year:

2. Transfer
4. Wide Receiver
5. Transfer (as Running Back)
6. Transfer
7. Transfer
8. Transfer
9. Wide Receiver
10. Transfer

The evidence points to an obvious trend. I get the resistance to Judd from you and @Rellyrell and don’t disagree. But I think you guys are stuck on an outdated QB recruiting model that ignores changes in the game.

I have never argued against pursuing portal QB's when there's a need. ****, I gave Mario credit for waiting on Ward because he was a much higher upside option than the alternatives that were available. My stance, which has been consistent throughout, is to vehemently oppose anyone who would advocate for punting on recruiting premier HS QB's altogether because of the existence of the transfer portal.

My stance is that no serious program considers HS recruiting and the transfer portal as an either-or situation when it comes to acquiring talent at the most important position in the entire sport. None of the big boy programs we're regularly competing against for Top 100 overall talent on the trail would dare consider signing mid-3* project QB's with weak offer lists in back-to-back classes to be a viable strategy.

As @Rellyrell stated above, top programs stack chips at QB by any means necessary and they let the cream rise to the top. I wasn't seeing any anti-QB recruiting arguments on the board until, despite our best efforts to the contrary (Rashada in '22, Noland/Sayin in '23), we only managed to sign mid-3* project QB's with weak offer lists in back-to-back classes.

I do recognize that we've been fighting an uphill battle with QB recruiting lately, some of which is likely attached to our coach's reputation and some of which is connected to our two-decade stretch of ineptitude. We've sucked for 20 years and we've had just one late-round QB drafted in that time span with no QB currently in the NFL representing our program. The direct correlation there is obvious.

Hopefully Ward stays healthy and he helps lower or completely eliminate the suck tax.

Last edited:
& if Ward goes down?
I actually think our QB depth is enviable at the moment. Mario learned his lesson with TVD. We have a good enough room to keep winning against most teams but for sure we’ll lose to the top teams as would 90% of other teams that lose their #1.

Or are you looking for Steve Young if Montana goes down? That seems like a pipe dream scenari.

LMAO. Who’s that experienced QB; J Brown? FCS Poff? Lmao.

Stop being the resident “yes man” to everything
Wait does Poff not have experience now according to you? Is he not a good backup qb? lol, I’d take him as a backup qb basically every single year. Most years we won’t have a guy with any experience as a backup. It’ll mostly be guys like Jacurri. Tell me how much experience any other team in the country has as backup lol.

… what are you talking about lol, I’ve literally said for over a year now that what I think is the best strategy at QB is to get these low to mid 4star types - maybe a 3star here and there - to develop yearly as good use of resources. And along side that you target the TOP guy either in portal OR HS to be the immediate starter. What I want is to spend 85-90% of our QB NIL allocation on THE GUY. I want to spend maybe 20%-25% of overall NIL on QB. So if we had $10M NIL budget starter should get anround $2M and the backups getting like $150k each on average.

What I don’t want is $1M+ in NIL sitting on the bench for a year because we consistently sign say the number 6-9 QB on average. Those would be expensive high 4 stars. And they would be a waste of money - even if they didn’t transfer out. That high 4star qb directly comes at the cost of top WRs, DT, CB, EDGE, and OT. And when you do hit on one of them they will immediately demand a pay raise anyways or threaten to leave!

So imo We pretty much nailed QB recruiting THIS yr. The only difference I would have liked that would turn this years qb haul from an A-/A to an A+ is getting someone like Luke Nickell in this class instead of Judd. Now again they are both 3 stars TODAY. But we expect Nickell to rise because of his clear talent. Will he rise to a 5star or very high 4 star? I very much doubt it. But he is the exact type of QB I want us getting every year and hoping we don’t get in a bidding war to keep.

Advertisement
I have never argued against pursuing portal QB's when there's a need. ****, I gave Mario credit for waiting on Ward because he was a much higher upside option than the alternatives that were available. My stance, which has been consistent throughout, is to vehemently oppose anyone who would advocate for punting on recruiting premier HS QB's altogether because of the existence of the transfer portal.

My stance is that no serious program considers HS recruiting and the transfer portal as an either-or situation when it comes to acquiring talent at the most important position in the entire sport. None of the big boy programs we're regularly competing against for Top 100 overall talent on the trail would dare consider signing mid-3* project QB's with weak offer lists in back-to-back classes to be a viable strategy.

As @Rellyrell stated above, top programs stack chips at QB by any means necessary and they let the cream rise to the top. I wasn't seeing any anti-QB recruiting arguments on the board until, despite our best efforts to the contrary (Rashada in '22, Noland/Sayin in '23), we only managed to sign mid-3* project QB's with weak offer lists in back-to-back classes.

I do recognize that we've been fighting an uphill battle with QB recruiting lately, some of which is likely attached to our coach's reputation and some of which is connected to our two-decade stretch of ineptitude. We've sucked for 20 years and we've had just one late-round QB drafted in that time span with no QB currently in the NFL representing our program. The direct correlation there is obvious.

Hopefully Ward stays healthy and he helps lower or completely eliminate the suck tax.
Okay now factor in Money into this equation and tell me would you rather pay top QBs money to sit the bench yearly wasting at least 50% of your money over a 4 year period or pay an additional 5 mid-high 4star WRs/DTs/CBs/etc per year? Nil is not unlimited. We have our budget. Qb is the highest cost in that budget. How do you want to distribute say $2-2.5M for qb? Do you want four guys making $750k each and then having to lose one yearly without them ever producing for you? Or do you want 1 guys making $1.8-2M to be the guy, having a couple cheaper backups, and an addition top non-qb? if you plan on paying the 4 guys the $750k, do you think the starter won’t ask for a raise when he was just making bank to sit the bench? How do you then keep the others?

Obviously if this was in the Non NIL time you’d want top hs QBs even if the portal existed. But it isn’t. Both factors - NiL and portal (with free 1 yr or now 2yr transfers) - are combining to lead to this opinion.

Last edited:
We're in trouble, like pretty much every football team with a premier QB.

Poff was very shaky as a #1 but I'm curious to see him with the 2s in spring. Western Kentucky has hit home runs with their last two FCS transfers and they targeted Poff as the next guy.
Western Kentucky, is where I bow out and agree to disagree.

This guy is a project, with tools. If we want him to start early, it's a disaster waiting to happen. If we're talking about a guy that can get into a system and learn it for 2-3 years, then he's a take. He's 6'6", and some say 6'7". If he fills out and learns the O, he could be a solid QB. He's a project, and I am fine with that. Especially since we hammered the portal for a couple QBs.

Had Judd been a 5 star, we probably don't get Ward. Had he been a 5 star and didn't win the job right away, he probably transfers. I am fine he is what he is. The only problem I will have is if he is what he is in 3 years.

Advertisement
Back