On Judd Anderson

Rell, my guy..we are not a top team. We have not been. So it’s kind of strange to compare us to that when the programs you HL who made the playoffs , majority of the time at least we’re programs in a much better position AROUND the QB position..we upgraded that room. It’s in a better position today than it was yesterday…we don’t need to see these guys on the field to see the floor and ceiling in the room..we have a legitimate top 10 QB in CFB. The top returner at THE MOST IMPORTANT position decided on Miami..where we are as a program rn I’d say that’s the most important thing..and if you balls out and we put on a good product..HS QBs will take note..yes we missed on our top guys (Rashada, luckily..then Air to OSU).

No one said we’re a top team; I said top teams don’t operate under the “either or” premise at the QB position. U recruit top QBs on both levels, period. Ya’ll keep saying “We’re trying to do what Bama is doing or UofM is doing” & I’m like, nah blood, we ain’t.

I’m not here to change ya’ll opinions; just pray Cam has an all-star year, gets 1st-2nd round consideration so a slew of narratives/perceptions can change so we start working towards becoming a top team by recruiting both top HS QBs, & use the portal to bring in top vet QBs when necessary.

Last edited:
Advertisement
No one said we’re a top team, I said top teams don’t operate under the “either or” premise at the QB position. U recruit top QBs on both levels, period. Ya’ll keep saying “We’re trying to do what Bama is doing or UofM is doing” & I’m like, nah blood, we ain’t.

I’m not here to change ya’ll opinions; just pray Cam has an all-star year, gets 1st-2nd round consideration so a slew of narratives/perceptions can change so we start working towards becoming a top team by recruiting both top HS QBs, & use the portal to bring in top vet QBs when necessary.
That’s fair enough. Emory looked better than Rashada or Dante Moore. If we got either one of those guys..based of perception the sentiment changes.JB was always a project as well..was supposed to be tvd(gone) to Garcia (bus)) then JB should’ve had time to develop

That’s fair enough. Emory looked better than Rashada or Dante Moore. If we got either one of those guys..based of perception the sentiment changes.JB was always a project as well..was supposed to be tvd(gone) to Garcia (bus)) then JB should’ve had time to develop

Totally disagree that Williams looked better than either. All the QBs struggled, but Williams in two starts never cracked over 200 yards, & was dinking & dunking every game. Did he have a couple of big throws? Sure, just like Rashada & Moore. Moore hit over 250 a couple of times. His biggest struggles came against Utah & OrSU this year. I think if Moore or Rashada played behind the line we provided, both would’ve been exponentially better. I’m not sure what to make of Rashada at ASU, but I think Moore at UO after he sits a yr will be legit a top tier QB.

I think Williams will be a serviceable back up.

I actually think our QB depth is enviable at the moment. Mario learned his lesson with TVD. We have a good enough room to keep winning against most teams but for sure we’ll lose to the top teams as would 90% of other teams that lose their #1.

Or are you looking for Steve Young if Montana goes down? That seems like a pipe dream scenari.
We will see on this. I always call for back up QB to play significant minutes in a season. There was ample opportunity last year for Williams to play and he didn’t. 1 pass vs temple?

Totally disagree that Williams looked better than either. All the QBs struggled, but Williams in two starts never cracked over 200 yards, & was dinking & dunking every game. Did he have a couple of big throws? Sure, just like Rashada & Moore. Moore hit over 250 a couple of times. His biggest struggles came against Utah & OrSU this year. I think if Moore or Rashada played behind the line we provided, both would’ve been exponentially better. I’m not sure what to make of Rashada at ASU, but I think Moore at UO after he sits a yr will be legit a top tier QB.

I think Williams will be a serviceable back up.
Emory was not it that’s for sure the tools ain’t there. I don’t know where people get that from. He’s tough and has heart but they trippin on those takes

Advertisement
I have never argued against pursuing portal QB's when there's a need. ****, I gave Mario credit for waiting on Ward because he was a much higher upside option than the alternatives that were available. My stance, which has been consistent throughout, is to vehemently oppose anyone who would advocate for punting on recruiting premier HS QB's altogether because of the existence of the transfer portal.

My stance is that no serious program considers HS recruiting and the transfer portal as an either-or situation when it comes to acquiring talent at the most important position in the entire sport. None of the big boy programs we're regularly competing against for Top 100 overall talent on the trail would dare consider signing mid-3* project QB's with weak offer lists in back-to-back classes to be a viable strategy.

As @Rellyrell stated above, top programs stack chips at QB by any means necessary and they let the cream rise to the top. I wasn't seeing any anti-QB recruiting arguments on the board until, despite our best efforts to the contrary (Rashada in '22, Noland/Sayin in '23), we only managed to sign mid-3* project QB's with weak offer lists in back-to-back classes.

I do recognize that we've been fighting an uphill battle with QB recruiting lately, some of which is likely attached to our coach's reputation and some of which is connected to our two-decade stretch of ineptitude. We've sucked for 20 years and we've had just one late-round QB drafted in that time span with no QB currently in the NFL representing our program. The direct correlation there is obvious.

Hopefully Ward stays healthy and he helps lower or completely eliminate the suck tax.

@DMoney is saying the same thing as you guys. It’s a mixture of portal and recruiting.

For Miami, it has to be an either or because Miami sucks. When you suck, talent acquisition costs more $ because the situation is not as well defined as OSU, Bama, etc.

The only thing he’s saying differently is that Miami has to pick and choose. In the future, if the program straightens out, you can have an Air Nolan (+ recruit) mixed in with a Ward-level portal QB.

You can’t do that now. The program still sucks.

Why is this so **** hard? It’s this. the top programs don’t pick and choose. They don’t keep middle of the road older guys when there are studs in the portal. There is not a single person on the roster we shouldn’t be trying to upgrade through either channel

Nobody? Mauigoa (both of them), Bain, Brown, and have upgrades available in both recruiting and the portal? Not only that, Miami has the cache or resources to land these upgrades?

Careful bro, moping too hard can cause blindness, fatigue, and irritability.

Advertisement
If you’re not winning and/or paying, you aren’t getting a Top 10 high school QB anyway.

The plan isn’t to ignore high school QBs. It’s to take less expensive, high upside multisport QBs. Those are the guys who dominate the pros. They won’t all hit, but you allocate money to the Portal to minimize downside.
Makes sense. I like that plan actually.

Advertisement
😔 I was hoping this would have been a lesson learned.
I guess you can say the same about high school QBs with the Rashada experience. They probably said, **** this with high school
Kids.

I am not saying I agree with it but I can see why they may wait a while (Nickel aside as he isn’t a 5 star) in which they will pursue and go all in on ready made QBs.

I guess you can say the same about high school QBs with the Rashada experience. They probably said, **** this with high school
Kids.

I am not saying I agree with it but I can see why they may wait a while (Nickel aside as he isn’t a 5 star) in which they will pursue and go all in on ready made QBs.
Maybe but naming NFL Quarterbacks as justification that 3* QB are the new wave is weak. Roughly 80-110 each year and the hit rate isn't exactly high. Same as saying every year great QBs will be in the portal when we saw the 2023 options were bad at best.

And again I ask…what happens if there is no Cam Ward. What if you miss? I am also skeptical of our takes, but that’s another topic. The point is…you gotta do both
Money talks. And if Cam Ward has a good season, the message will be sent. At Miami you can get paid and have a great season + improve draft stock. when we come calling with $2M dangling in front of their faces, you can lure some top guys into the portal.

For instance like I all those 5 stars the last class or two classes ago that aren’t yet starting… you think none will take double the money to come here and start rather than sitting the bench?

Advertisement
IMG_9308.jpeg

Hmmmm

Advertisement
Back