On Judd Anderson

View as article
He has happy feet. He doesn’t see the defender in the middle of the field. Doesn’t come up clutch, instead he shrinks.

I wasn’t high on Emory but I watched games of his and he delivered in those moments. Game winning drives, way better feet, just better overall mechanics. Also Emory was the man on his team, this guy is splitting reps at qb…

Happy feet + statuesque/lack of mobility + slow delivery = awful traits for a QB.

I'm all for an upside guy, but man, this one is a stretch for me.

Advertisement
I just think that even when you are a project, the high ceiling tools should be carrying where you start on said team. Of course it would be choppy but those tools would shine through on Fridays in HS. That just isnt the case here, he struggles at almost all times.
Not disagreeing, i wanna see what he looks like this season tho its still early

I’ve seen better QBs on college intramural teams. A serious program does not waste a scholarship on this kid.
The people that aren’t concerned about QB recruiting because “we’ll bring in a transfer it’s no big deal”…I’m trying to be kind but that’s an absolutely moronic take.

If your plan is to keep Judd as your only high school QB and put a bandaid over a bullet wound with a one-year portal rental in ‘24…then what? What happens after that? We’re headed towards three consecutive years of projects at the QB position…praying one of them works out. If not, we’re going to have a huge problem in ‘25.

Obviously still plenty of time from now til then, but man…how hard is it to land a viable QB option here given our severe lack of competition in the room?

Advertisement
The people that aren’t concerned about QB recruiting because “we’ll bring in a transfer it’s no big deal”…I’m trying to be kind but that’s an absolutely moronic take.

If your plan is to keep Judd as your only high school QB and put a bandaid over a bullet wound with a one-year portal rental in ‘24…then what? What happens after that? We’re headed towards three consecutive years of projects at the QB position…praying one of them works out. If not, we’re going to have a huge problem in ‘25.

Obviously still plenty of time from now til then, but man…how hard is it to land a viable QB option here given our severe lack of competition in the room?

A 3 year QB recruiting haul of Brown, Emory and Judd is not gonna get you there. Brown is a future TE. Emory, while he has nice intangibles and toolset, should not be the "heir apparent" and Judd is, well....Judd, in a perfect world where we have a stacked QB room, might be a fine take, but with our current QB room? No way; can't afford to miss here.

My guess is that Mario is letting the year unfold before circling back to top QB targets and show them some good film.

Last edited:
The thing is, Cristobal doesn’t deserve the benefit of the doubt when it comes to QB recruiting. He’s yet to recruit a starting P5 QB in his career.

And Dawson has yet to prove he has a Mike Leach style Air Raid that can plug in any QB and put up numbers. Outside of last year, every analytic model says his offenses have sucked every year of his career.

A 3 year QB recruiting haul of Brown, Emory and Judd is not gonna get you there. Brown is a future TE. Emory, while he has nice intangibles, should not be the "heir apparent" and Judd is, well....Judd, in a perfect world where we have a stacked QB room, might be a fine take, but with our current QB room? No way; can't afford to miss here.

My guess is that Mario is letting the year unfold before circling back to top QB targets and show them some good film.

Yeah.

At best Emory needs to be the Major Applewhite on your team. A low ceiling QB you keep trying to recruit over with studs, but he keeps proving he’s the one that belongs on the field.

But you can’t bank on that happening. Most Major Applewhites end up playing to their low-ceiling ranking. You have to make them earn it.

Think i heard on that broadcast that he just transferred from a triple option type offense. Might be a late bloomer type of kid, after watching i can see why they are high on him but he’s not good enough to be the only hs qb we take
He played in triple option his sophomore season. This will be his second season playing in a spread type offense. First year in spread offense he went 144 for 255 for 1776 with 15 TDs and 14 Ints.

Advertisement
He played in triple option his sophomore season. This will be his second season playing in a spread type offense. First year in spread offense he went 144 for 255 for 1776 with 15 TDs and 14 Ints.
Bingo. People forget that he had half a season in this offense so it's not like he's new to this.

Bingo. People forget that he had half a season in this offense so it's not like he's new to this.

The game highlights there look pretty good to me. The interception was bad at the end, but hey when your coach runs the ball and leaves you in 3rd and 11 late in the game, what's he supposed to do, take a sack?

That offensive line was flat out getting its *** whooped. And he made several good throws, a couple after he had to tuck it and leave the pocket.

The throw at 1:05 of his junior tape on Money's initial post shows you why he was offered.

Does he need polish…Yes, plenty.

Yeah, I very rarely post negative comments about recruits, especially verbals. There were a few under Golden, I had no idea why we targeted Sitkowski and enrolled Tre Johnson under Richt, I was vocal about our G5 OL (ElGammal) and LB (Jennings, Troutman, etc.) commits under Manny, and now Anderson is my first negative CIS post about a Mario offer.

Judd may meet/exceed the physical and leadership attributes you want in a Miami Hurricane QB. Seems like an amazing young man. But he's just not good enough right now and hasn't shown the progress you would have expected since transitioning from the triple option to the spread. Again, I can't think of anyone with as high a Int/TD ratio as Judd coming out of high school ever doing anything in a P5. Maybe he'll defy the odds. But he should at least start out at a G5 program or a P5 school with a much deeper QB room.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Judd 6 tds last night. 4 passing 2 running.
1000005531.jpg

Advertisement
Back