On Judd Anderson

View as article
Advertisement
As a lottery ticket I’m ok with this take. But we can’t build the QB room around six projects. Mario needs to rebuild his reputation before he can lure a decent HS QB. I’d hit the portal hard, especially if TVD rebounds and can get picked as a day two QB. Probably going to take a few portal guys having success here to get some real traction with HS guys.

I don’t understand taking him but at this point can u just turn the kid away lol?

You absolutely could, but who knows if it'll actually happen.

For all the boasting from some about trusting evals of our lower-rated commits, the info that was posted about how insanely bullish the staff is about Judd (that they view him in the same horizontal tier as Air Noland, per @Lance Roffers) is the type of utter lunacy that would do the exact opposite of inspiring confidence in our evals of lower-rated recruits. And the fact that no program has offered Judd since he committed to Miami shows that our staff is completely alone on an island when it comes to him. And that has far more to do with the complete lack of interest from other Power 5 programs than it has to do with internet rankings services.

The truth is that if we do end up having the type of season that would allow us to significantly upgrade this class, a bunch of our current 3*s should be pushed out in favor of better players. And there's no position that's a more glaring weak spot for us in this class than QB.

Last edited:
The problem we’re having right now is all of these elite QB’s are going off of last year’s offense and saying, “I don’t want any part of that.” We all believe we’re going to be leaps and bounds better on offense under Dawson, but until these recruits actually see it manifest on the field this is something we have to deal with. Once this offense starts to look good again, I believe we will start to garner interest from some much better QB prospects. Beyond that, when’s the last time Miami had a truly elite QB? We’re dealing with years upon years of mediocrity at this position. If you build it they will come, and I believe, and hope, it starts this year.

Got some feedback on this scrimmage from someone there doing some scouting on Buford

Keep in mind Buford is arguably one of the best teams in America and probably a top 5 defense in the country.

Judd started the game and threw a pick but it got reversed on a BS PI call on Buford. Went on to get strip sacked on the same drive and then Jones County recovered and he threw a lame duck incompletion to end the drive.

Not sure if it was part of the plan all along because it was a scrimmage or if they're going to do this all year or even if it was a result of that drive but they put in a younger dual threat QB and he actually made a few plays and kept them in the game somewhat - including a big 35-40 yard TD pass as he got drilled in the pocket.

Went back to Judd and he dinked and dunked and handed off a few times and didn't do anything. Then put a pick 6 right in the defenders chest that jumped a short out route and he dropped it.

Backup QB #16 got a few more drives and really didn't do a lot himself after throwing that impressive TD early in the game. Up to that point #16 definitely looked tougher, more poised, and more comfortable and competitive than Judd, but neither was doing a lot against this defense.

Judd flashed big in the 3rd quarter dodging some pressure and moving up in the pocket and put a dot in the back of the end zone but it went through the WRs hands. Made a decent short throw and handed a few times and then drilled a TD in the back corner of the end zone. Actually looked solid when he got time to throw and they let him drive it down field.

Overall, he looked uncomfortable and very meh. Said he had several lame ducks when he had to catch and throw quickly. Very clunky in his mechanics and when it's not in sync it doesn't come out of his hand right and doesn't have any velocity on it.

Can move in the pocket and had some pressure in the pocket where guys were dragging him down but he was big enough to stand in and just throw the ball out to avoid the sack. Made a few decent short throwing rolling to his right. Never drove it down field moving in the pocket. Can't throw at all going to his left.

Pretty decent deep ball with touch. Short and intermediate game is bad. Person giving me the information said he's definitely a P5 prospect but he's at least 2-3 years away once he gets to college. Watching him vs Raiola was not even in the same stratosphere and it was obvious in all elements of both kid's game.

He'll put up better numbers than he did a year ago, even if they use the 2 QB system. Not everyone will be Buford that he plays. But overall he'd be surprised if he ever played at Miami. If he does, probably more indicative of Miami than of Judd. Possibly could get on the field 3-4 years down the road at a program like GT, Texas Tech, Houston, West Virginia, etc. but better served as developmental at a UAB, Georgia State, or Tulane type program.
Don’t even waste the spot.

Advertisement
Got some feedback on this scrimmage from someone there doing some scouting on Buford

Keep in mind Buford is arguably one of the best teams in America and probably a top 5 defense in the country.

Judd started the game and threw a pick but it got reversed on a BS PI call on Buford. Went on to get strip sacked on the same drive and then Jones County recovered and he threw a lame duck incompletion to end the drive.

Not sure if it was part of the plan all along because it was a scrimmage or if they're going to do this all year or even if it was a result of that drive but they put in a younger dual threat QB and he actually made a few plays and kept them in the game somewhat - including a big 35-40 yard TD pass as he got drilled in the pocket.

Went back to Judd and he dinked and dunked and handed off a few times and didn't do anything. Then put a pick 6 right in the defenders chest that jumped a short out route and he dropped it.

Backup QB #16 got a few more drives and really didn't do a lot himself after throwing that impressive TD early in the game. Up to that point #16 definitely looked tougher, more poised, and more comfortable and competitive than Judd, but neither was doing a lot against this defense.

Judd flashed big in the 3rd quarter dodging some pressure and moving up in the pocket and put a dot in the back of the end zone but it went through the WRs hands. Made a decent short throw and handed a few times and then drilled a TD in the back corner of the end zone. Actually looked solid when he got time to throw and they let him drive it down field.

Overall, he looked uncomfortable and very meh. Said he had several lame ducks when he had to catch and throw quickly. Very clunky in his mechanics and when it's not in sync it doesn't come out of his hand right and doesn't have any velocity on it.

Can move in the pocket and had some pressure in the pocket where guys were dragging him down but he was big enough to stand in and just throw the ball out to avoid the sack. Made a few decent short throwing rolling to his right. Never drove it down field moving in the pocket. Can't throw at all going to his left.

Pretty decent deep ball with touch. Short and intermediate game is bad. Person giving me the information said he's definitely a P5 prospect but he's at least 2-3 years away once he gets to college. Watching him vs Raiola was not even in the same stratosphere and it was obvious in all elements of both kid's game.

He'll put up better numbers than he did a year ago, even if they use the 2 QB system. Not everyone will be Buford that he plays. But overall he'd be surprised if he ever played at Miami. If he does, probably more indicative of Miami than of Judd. Possibly could get on the field 3-4 years down the road at a program like GT, Texas Tech, Houston, West Virginia, etc. but better served as developmental at a UAB, Georgia State, or Tulane type program.
“dinked and dunked”

terrell owens images GIF

That’s my quarterback!!!

SMH. I don’t care about stars at all, but **** even looking at this kid’s film I don’t see how he was a take. He’s gotta be looking to transition to another position at the U because we can’t be left with him and Jacurri at some point in 2025. Miami needs to really attack UGA QB. The one from CT.
Small Forward

Advertisement
I can vouch for how tough Buford is. Being a longtime Georgia high school football follower, They have been the standard high school football program in the state that is loaded since 2000. 13 state titles from 2001-current

Buford All-Time Record:

541-237-14

27 Region Titles

14 State Championships (1978, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2019, 2020, 2021)

22 Consecutive Seasons in State Playoffs

Jones County is a nice program, but Buford is on another level. Bigger, faster, stronger

highlights here:

Anderson should be able to put up decent stats once the reg season starts. Region his HS plays in isn't very tough at all besides maybe Warner Robins?
Peach County and Perry are on their schedule and are both pretty good. I think they may be in 4A classification though and not 5A

Dutchtown and Warner Robins in their classification will be their toughest comp.

Advertisement
SMH. I don’t care about stars at all, but **** even looking at this kid’s film I don’t see how he was a take. He’s gotta be looking to transition to another position at the U because we can’t be left with him and Jacurri at some point in 2025. Miami needs to really attack UGA QB. The one from CT.

I mean... Judd isn't capable of playing another position in football. It was clear that his basketball numbers were more impressive than his football stats last season, but he's nowhere near athletic enough to play any other position than QB.

The problem we’re having right now is all of these elite QB’s are going off of last year’s offense and saying, “I don’t want any part of that.” We all believe we’re going to be leaps and bounds better on offense under Dawson, but until these recruits actually see it manifest on the field this is something we have to deal with. Once this offense starts to look good again, I believe we will start to garner interest from some much better QB prospects. Beyond that, when’s the last time Miami had a truly elite QB? We’re dealing with years upon years of mediocrity at this position. If you build it they will come, and I believe, and hope, it starts this year.
Another issue we had with 24 class is that we changed OC and took too long to replace him. We downplayed the delay in hiring but I think that hurt us. QBs develop relationships with OC’s and commit early. We just saw it with Nickel.

Judd has already been recruited over with the '25 kid, Nickel...

Judd will never play here... we'll hopefully get a transfer for '24 if Emory isn't ready...

let's hope Emory serves us well for 2 years and then we can transition to Nickel to take over...

'25 and '26 Emory
'27 and '28 Nickel...

Advertisement
I maintain we need another HS qb in this class. I have no issue taking Judd if the coaches think he can develop into a special player down the line.

We also need to get a portal qb next offseason.

Need to throw numbers at qb IMO.

Yes we do and that has always been the case no matter how many posters have just thrown out the word "portal" as if it's some sort of magical solution to our QB recruiting woes.

We need a premier QB1 in this class AND a top-tier portal QB for next season. That has always been the case. Ideally we'd add a stud QB in this class who could redshirt as a Maalik Murphy-level transfer starts next season and dominates. Then you'd conceivably have that stud QB recruit in this class competing with Jacurri and Emory after the transfer QB moves on.

Judd has already been recruited over with the '25 kid, Nickel...

Judd will never play here... we'll hopefully get a transfer for '24 if Emory isn't ready...

let's hope Emory serves us well for 2 years and then we can transition to Nickel to take over...

'25 and '26 Emory
'27 and '28 Nickel...
Spot on. I'd like to see a solid portal QB vs. Emory battle for next year. I also understand that if we can get a portal stud, that means we've likely promised the '24 job.

0% chance we drop this kid lol. Coaches love Judd and he's been recruiting his a$$ off for us since he committed. With the portal, not worried about QB room at all. They'll figure it out.

If the staff is truly as bullish on Judd as has been shared on the board, then you're probably right. But if he doesn't show drastic improvement after he played so inconsistently last year and we end up gaining traction with a much higher caliber QB recruit in the coming weeks/months, then the staff should 100% reconsider their initial evaluation as more film and data become available.

Judd has been recruiting hard for us and has been a loyal commit, which is something fans tend to have a soft spot for, but he also hasn't been offered by any other program since he committed to us over four months ago. And his initial offer list was weak to begin with. If you have a chance to upgrade at the position with a strong season and a TVD bounce-back campaign, you can't turn that down because a lowly-coveted commit with severely limited options has been loyal.

It's sure as **** not a case where our WR commits or targets are going to waver or bolt if Judd is replaced in the class. If anything, upgrading significantly at QB likely wouldn't do anything but help.

Advertisement
Back