On Judd Anderson

View as article
To be fair, he’s not a take for me unless he’s the #2 QB. I wouldn’t have taken Emory unless he was the #2 QB, either, so I’m a bit of a tough grader at the position.

The Miami coaches know far more football than I do, have far more information than I do, and are probably more accurate than I am.

But I’ve promised myself I’ll just be open and transparent with what my eyes tell me after the Tommy Kennedy fiasco, where I was hesitant to say “this kid doesn’t have the functional strength to play at this level” because I was sure I was overstating one game tape I was able to review.

If we had kept only Rashada last year, would you have viewed things the same as you do with Emory? Rashada as only a #2?

The reason I ask is that in this very setting, Emory outplayed him by quite a bit.

I haven't watched much of anything on Judd. I've been down this elite 11 road many times and there's one thing that doesn't shock me about their results year to year. They generally already know who will advance before the camp even happens. I've seen it too many times where the "supposed elite" prospect comes in, gets outplayed, but still advances while the standout performer gets sent home. It's not just the Elite 11 that does this either.

Advertisement
Almost every QB who never took a snap at the college level is a project to me.

I don’t think anyone thought TVD was that good before ever seeing him play in games, the moment King went down our season was considered to be over by all of us.

And BTW very few programs can make up for the loss of QB1.
Your first sentence is the the truth, period. Bama has gotten essentially who they have wanted at qb for how many years now. The cream of the crop. So why is it they were in the position to try and take our qb and actually take NDs qb? No matter how high a qb is rated u just never know.

You said not bad. The GM argument is message board bull****. Bottom line is Miami needs and should have better QB play and Mario needs to make it happen and so far the room has gone backwards with us having 1 game ready QB. Which is not 95% of the sport.
Bro Mario has literally been here 1 szn..you are going off recruiting perspectives..I shared you a link of the past couple cycles..many of those hyped guys did not pan out at all. Brown will be fine in this system..I think we need a Transfer portal arm rn. But all this doom and gloom mopey **** is already played out and it’s been like 15 months.

Last edited:
If we had kept only Rashada last year, would you have things the same as you do with Emory? Rashada as only a #2?

The reason I ask is that in this very setting, Emory outplayed him by quite a bit.

I haven't watched much of anything on Judd. I've been down this elite 11 road many times and there's one thing that doesn't shock me about their results year to year. They generally already know who will advance before the camp even happens. I've seen it too many times where the "supposed elite" prospect comes in, gets outplayed, but still advances while the standout performer gets sent home. It's not just the Elite 11 that does this either.
Exactly the issue around here. Some think a kid like rashada would be further along in development based on his star ranking. Generally it’s not how it goes. If you look at the top 10 ranked QB during past cycles the hit rate is terrible..and if you look at some of the better QBs in the sport year over year you’ll see plenty of Judd or Emory types of prospects performing well..but having a kosi or Tate martell based on HS ranking make people feel comfortable

and you need a new definition of college football because it is not the NFL.

You’re confusing “project” with “risk/gamble.”

Listen to the reports on Anderson and Brown.

We literally have to teach them how to fundamentally play QB.
Not teach them how to learn the offense and hope they can get it.

But teach them how to just throw the football. And they are years away from being able to do that.

That isn’t “normal.”
That isn’t every Qb in college football.

Stop making excuses and pretending like these guys are just what you get if you’re a major program.

Advertisement
Exactly the issue around here. Some think a kid like rashada would be further along in development based on his star ranking. Generally it’s not how it goes. If you look at the top 10 ranked QB during past cycles the hit rate is terrible..and if you look at some of the better QBs in the sport year over year you’ll see plenty of Judd or Emory types of prospects performing well..but having a kosi or Tate martell based on HS ranking make people feel comfortable

Rashada was a Top 50 overall recruit.

Tell me what the hit rate for QBs that ranked in the Top 50 for overall recruits has been for the last 5 cycles.

You’re confusing “project” with “risk/gamble.”

Listen to the reports on Anderson and Brown.

We literally have to teach them how to fundamentally play QB.
Not teach them how to learn the offense and hope they can get it.

But teach them how to just throw the football. And they are years away from being able to do that.

That isn’t “normal.”
That isn’t every Qb in college football.

Stop making excuses and pretending like these guys are just what you get if you’re a major program.
In the transfer portal era? Yes, it is.

Very few programs have the luxury to sit a caliber-starter QB and play another one.

Why do you think it won't be Williams? Williams was tagged as developmental, and it looks like he is further along than expected. Williams is an extremely hard worker. You don't need Anderson ready until 25 anyway. He gets his senior year this year and a redshirt in 24.

You bring in a quality transfer via the portal in December to compete in spring for the starting job.

Williams wasn’t tagged as “developmental” really.
The knock on him was there wasn’t a ton of upside there.

He was actually the opposite extreme. A higher floor, lower ceiling guy.
Combined with a high ceiling, but really low floor guys.

The windshield wiper strategy to QB recruiting is not a good one.

In the transfer portal era? Yes, it is.

Very few programs have the luxury to sit a caliber-starter QB and play another one.

Sure they do. For at least one year.

And this is irrelevant.

But we aren’t going to have a starting returning QB next year.

This is actually a great year to attract a stud high school QB.

And the best we can do is a dude we are going to have to teach how to walk, and hope he ends up being able to run in a few years.

It’s bad recruiting.

Advertisement
To be fair, he’s not a take for me unless he’s the #2 QB. I wouldn’t have taken Emory unless he was the #2 QB, either, so I’m a bit of a tough grader at the position.

The Miami coaches know far more football than I do, have far more information than I do, and are probably more accurate than I am.

But I’ve promised myself I’ll just be open and transparent with what my eyes tell me after the Tommy Kennedy fiasco, where I was hesitant to say “this kid doesn’t have the functional strength to play at this level” because I was sure I was overstating one game tape I was able to review.

This shoudln’t be that hard to understand.

Miami is loading the QB room up with developmental guys that are years away.

You can’t do that.

Sure they do. For at least one year.

And this is irrelevant.

But we aren’t going to have a starting returning QB next year.

This is actually a great year to attract a stud high school QB.

And the best we can do is a dude we are going to have to teach how to walk, and hope he ends up being able to run in a few years.

It’s bad recruiting.
Miami is not in the position to attract a player that could come in and be QB1 from his freshman year (if there is one in the ‘24, which is unlikely).

The most likely path is field a good offense and asses where Jacurri is a year from now. If he has not made the necessary improvements you take a transfer and you call it a day.

Brown would be a 3rd year guy…idk if you realize but mario has been at Miami for 1 1/2 years..brown has been here 1 year lol.

If it were Judd or a guy like Air it’s still a TF QB you’re bringing into the mix for next season. That’s my point. So Ideally the plan was to go from TVD to Jake/brown competition. Jake is gone. So it will be Brown (3rd yr guy) Williams (2nd year guy) and whomever they decide to take this class which might be Judd plus another or just Judd..either way with Garcia gone, Ideally now the plan will most likely be Bring in a Veteran guy off the Transfer portal to compete with Brown next spring and the other young guys…I wouldn’t have been surprised if they took a Transfer Arm rn..so that’s why I have no issue taking a guy like Judd..I personally don’t like TF QBs to start and be expected to be savior. Even if it’s a guy like Air..that’s kind of the notion your getting at, correct if I’m wrong..so that’s why I don’t have a issue with taking Williams last cycle as the only or Judd this cycle

There’s a difference between playing a TF who is polished and has a ton of upside, but obviously is going to have to learn the college game and is probably going to take his lumps. I’m not expecting any TF to save the season next year.

But then he takes his TF lumps, and you’re hoping the next season he’s ready to rock and roll. And by that point he’s got the experience and now the roster has a 2 deep of 3 Mario recruiting classes.

Instead what you have right now is going into 2024 with two QBs that dont’ know how to even physically be QBs. It’s all physical upside. We’re hoping to teach them. You could play Anderson in 2024, and that might not even be his “take his lumps” season, because he’s that far away from even deserving to be under center. Just like last year wasn’t Brown’s.

That’s the difference in quality of QB recruits we have on the roster.

And I don’t care when we recruited Brown, and how long Cristobal has been here. His job is to fix it. Instead he’s just continued it.

Miami is not in the position to attract a player that could come in and be QB1 from his freshman year (if there is one in the ‘24, which is unlikely).

The most likely path is field a good offense and asses where Jacurri is a year from now. If he has not made the necessary improvements you take a transfer and you call it a day.

Why?

The starting job is opening up in 2024.

Advertisement
thanks for this, D.

You’re certainly not wrong because of the transfer portal, Python your money elsewhere and targeting transfers at the position when you need them is smart.

This is the same sh*t people said about DT and WR.

The problem is, there aren’t a lot of studs in the portal.

And there’s no guarantee you get the few that there are.

It’s a horrible strategy. Which seems to be justified by some made up hit rate.

This is the same sh*t people said about DT and WR.

The problem is, there aren’t a lot of studs in the portal.

And there’s no guarantee you get the few that there are.

It’s a horrible strategy. Which seems to be justified by some made up hit rate.
Wrong.

While it’s true for DT and OT there are stud QB in the portal every year.

Advertisement
Wrong.

While it’s true for DT and OT there are stud QB in the portal every year.

So many stud QBs that Bama tried to skip the portal and attract starting QBs from teams.

The best rated transfer QB in the portal this year was the dude from Wake.

Are you really convinced he’s for sure not a product of the QB friendly mesh system?

The next highest rated one was the dude from NC State.

You think Alabama or UGA are worried about either one of these two guys?

So many stud QBs that Bama tried to skip the portal and attract starting QBs from teams.

The best rated transfer QB in the portal this year was the dude from Wake.

Are you really convinced he’s for sure not a product of the QB friendly mesh system?

The next highest rated one was the dude from NC State.

You think Alabama or UGA are worried about either one of these two guys?
We would be lucky the get a guy like Leary next year.

I fully expect the starter next year to be a transfer.

This. The portal is the new way to recruit QBs. I think I read that over half of starting QBs in FBS are transfers. Look at the playoffs. Recruit uncoachable traits in HS and recruit the portal like crazy.

Rashada was a Top 50 overall recruit.

Tell me what the hit rate for QBs that ranked in the Top 50 for overall recruits has been for the last 5 cycles.
Rashada was 44. 6th ranked QB. Put him with a Ty Simpson(Bama), Devin brown(OSU), Sam huard(UDUB) Brock vandargriff (UGA), Kaiden salter (TENN)..247 is a tool u can use..but those are few

Advertisement
Back