On Judd Anderson

View as article
Advertisement
Boom. The point is made. Get them when they’re much cheaper in the portal. The Lincoln Riley route. Statistics show most of these guys will be leaving at least once or will bust.

I was never big on Rashada , his drama and his rate but I’ll be willing to bet he either transfers once or just straight up busts. I’d much rather spend on the dogs in the trenches who rarely leave and rarely bust.
Sure. But where is that at?

Supposedly we had a ton of money tied up in the Rashada recruitment, some more tied up on Cormani McClain. Supposedly had the best offer for Air Noland. None of that ended up being spent on those players and we haven’t added anything except Judd since. We just keep kicking the can down the road to “next year”.

Where is the spending going? Judd must have charged by the inch….

We ain’t having a 35 page conversation about “what the data really says” on QB quality if there was any reason to be confident about this take — as the only QB in the class. Nobody had to defend Emory Williams (who looked a lot better as a 3* than this cat) when the class also had Rashada.

If your QB classes over 3 years are Jacurri Brown, Emory Williams, and Judd Anderson, you would not seem to be serious about winning football in the modern era, no matter how good your DL recruiting is. Especially with one freaking class. Plus, if “winning in the trenches” is essentially all that matters, why didn’t he go nuts on DL last year too? Once again, the current state of the program is cast as “all according to plan”, even if it’s unrecognizable from the previous plan.

We are not UGA, nor are we close to UGA. They’ve also recruited QB at an elite level, they just happened to have a walk on who broke every mould known to man when he was surrounded by the best talent in the country. UGA is evidence of nothing.

It’s amazing to me that Mario still has defenders on this. His offensive recruiting is abysmal outside of OL and RB, he seems to think QB is less than the most important position in the sport, and some of y’all are so invested in him being successful here you’re calling his absurd approach to talent acquisition “reasonable according to the data”.

Devaluing the QB by saying “you can win without an elite player there” is quintessential Miami over the last 20 years: making winning harder instead of easier. Can you win a ship without a stud QB? Yes, but why on earth would you try? It makes it exponentially harder to win without one and exponentially easier to win with one. Miss me with the “it can be done” line, instead explain to me why any HC in his right mind would intentionally make his path to success more difficult by not getting a proven baller at the most important position on the field? Literally should be job 1 of every class. Instead Mario whiffed 2 years straight. Guy can’t even take credit for Brown, kid was already committed.

But again, Miami makes winning harder, not easier. Mario called TVD the best QB in the country in his introductory presser, then proceeded to shackle him with an OC and scheme that turned his brain inside out. Freaking one year later and we’re still hearing “he's a great fit for the style of offense Mario wants to run.” What the heck does that mean? I’d like a kid who’s a terrible fit for Mario’s O, because thus far that kid would be TVD. I mean is MC an OC or an HC? When did he last call plays? Is someone else in the country imitating the vaunted “Mario Cristobal O”. The man got a tree? We have local high school coaches on here, has the Mario Cristobal offensive coaching clinic sold out? Y’all dying for his insight on how to score 10 more ppg, can’t leave without picking the schematic mind that brought you the lowest point totals in Miami history?

If we’re covering his back on QB crooting, shouldn’t we have, I dunno, a playoff or something appearance on his resume to refer to? Or any evidence at all that his offensive philosophy is something other than a net negative?

The truth is that having a mediocre QB makes winning harder, not easier. Just like having a mediocre HC does. Don’t let anyone tell you otherwise.
While I agree with your overall premise I disagree that this is Mario’s intended approach. I bet if you locked him in a room and gave him truth serum he would chuckle at the narrative that some are trying to push that recruiting Blue Chip QB’s is not that important. I bet most Elite college coaches would, even the ones who have had success with lower ranked guys. They all believe in stacking blue chip talent, not hoping to hit on a scratch off.

It’s why he spent time and resources last year going after Nico Lamaleava, Dante Moore and Rashada. This year he went after Julian Sayin and Air Nolan. I’m sure he won’t stop going after them and others just because they’re committed. If the board narrative was his approach he would just skip that process.

His problem has been twofold.

1. His reputation as a “QB Killer”. While I disagree with it perception is reality to some of these kids and he did himself no favors with hiring Gattis.

2. His prolonged hiring process. Many posters brush this off and say it doesn’t matter but this is where it hurts him. Most top QBs commit by spring of Junior year. By the time he hired the OC most blue chip recruits had either committed or were narrowing down their choices giving the OC little time to establish relationships. Not saying all top QBs commit by now or that other teams don’t take a longer approach but when you have Mario’s QB rep this doesn’t help.

Now I think he would eventually fix this maybe even by this December but make no mistake about it he wants to sign Blue Chip QBs.

idk about this because even when Rashada was committed 5 star WRs weren't lining up to play here either...I think this had more to do with Mario and Gattis combo than Emory Williams impact just like Ohio State's resume with WRs was more of the impact than the 5 start QBs
It’s been said that even when he “committed” he was looking for another bag so it’s likely he wasn’t trying to recruit for us. Emory couldn’t even recruit his 4 star WR HS teammate who went to that offensive juggernaut ATM.

No debate like this is cut in dry. Like anything else, there's data that can be used on all sides of argument.....and that's because, there are so many variables in play with teams sports that it's never that easy.

Marino was one of the greatest QBs to ever lace them up, but he couldn't win **** bc of his supporting cast.
Dilfer and Flacco will never be confused with Marino but those guys have rings.

You can win in CFB and the NFL in multiple ways. Different blueprints can win. That's just how it is. The way i would build a roster is different than others. There is no right or wrong. If there was, every NFL and college team would do it the same way. The Chiefs are built around Mahomes with a defense that's just good enough to win. The Eagles this year had the best OL in football and a top notch Dline. The Eagles who won it all had a great OL and a terrible journeyman QB in Foles. The 49ers are winning with elite defense and offensive scheme. The Patriots used to win with elite coaching and QB play.

Yeah Georgia won it with Bennett and Bama won it with Mac because those teams were loaded on OL/DL and skills players, but Mac was high end college QB with his accuracy and the talent around him. There's a reason he was picked in R1. It doesn't mean his skillset translated well. But on the flipside, LSU won bc of Joe Burrow and his WRs. Period. That LSU defense was not great. They gave up 35+ points 4 times and their leading sack guy (Chaisson) had 6.5, with the 2nd leading sack guy being a safety (5). Outside of Chaisson, the impact players on that team were LBs and DBs (Queen, Phillips, Delpit, Stingley, etc). The Watson Clemson team wasn't elite on D. Wilkins and Lawrence were still pups and they gave up 30+ point to 5 of the 6 ranked teams they played. Nate Peterman threw for 300 and 5 against them, putting up over 40 points.

To win, you need to be elite at something and good enough everywhere else......and have good coaching/schemes/adjustments. QB/DL/OL probably give you the best chances overall bc it's harder to find them, but it's not the only way.

Advertisement
The 4 star range is from .8900 to .9800 Tyler was .9173 which puts him a lot closer to a 3 star than a 5 star. It's at the "lower" end of the 4 star spectrum.

Class of 2020 QBs:
-Young (5* .9994) ✅
-Uiagalelei (5* .9949) ✅
-Stroud (4* .9780) ✅
-Card (4* .9721) ✅
-Jackson (4* .9664 - became a RB) ✅
-Doty (4* .9632) ✅
-Bailey (4* .9555) ✅
-Garbers (4* .9475) ✅
-King (4*.9397) ✅
-Butterfield (4* .9352) ✅
-Illingworth (4* .9295) ✅
-Prater (4* .9279) ✅
-Purdy (4* .9227) ✅
-Hornsby (4* .9208) ✅
-Richardson (4* .9204) ✅
-TVD (4* .9173) ✅
-Sims (4* .9169) ✅
-Pine (4* .9164) ✅
-Beck (4* 9095)
-Johnson (4* .9090)
-McQuarrie (4* .9076)
-Alaimo (4* .9071)
-Criswell (4* .9070)
-Dekkers (4* .9006)
-Ashford (4* .9006)
-Miller (4* .8951)
-Smothers (4* .8975)
-Garcia (3* .8896)

Again, I wouldn’t call TVD a “low 4*. He was a solid 4* based upon the QB rankings for his class, which is y he was a Top247 player. Top247 & low 4 star doesn’t even belong in the same sentence. The 2020 cycle was bullish on the defensive side & WRs this cycle; ****, Michael Redding was ranked higher than TVD!!

There were only 2 5* QBs this cycle, then it dropped a whole 200th of a point to CJ Stroud. Technically, TVD was rated as the 15th best QB of the 26th blue chip QBs (since Jackson chose to become a RB instead of a QB). Solid 4*.

Last edited:
Class of 2020 QBs:
-Young (5* .9994) ✅
-Uiagalelei (5* .9949) ✅
-Stroud (4* .9780) ✅
-Card (4* .9721) ✅
-Doty (4* .9632) ✅
-Bailey (4* .9555) ✅
-Garbers (4* .9475) ✅
-King (4*.9397) ✅
-Prater (4* .9279) ✅
-Purdy (4* .9227) ✅
-Hornsby (4* .9208) ✅
-Richardson (4* .9204) ✅
-TVD (4* .9173) ✅
-Sims (4* .9169) ✅
-Pine (4* .9164) ✅
-Beck (4* 9095)
-Johnson (4* .9090)
-McQuarrie (4* .9076)
-Alaimo (4* .9071)
-Criswell (4* .9070)
-Dekkers (4* .9006)
-Ashford (4* .9006)
-Miller (4* .8951)
-Smothers (4* .8975)
-Garcia (3* .8896)

Again, I wouldn’t call TVD a “low 4*. He was a solid 4* based upon the QB rankings for his class, which is y he was a Top247 player. Top247 & low 4 star doesn’t even belong in the same sentence. The 2020 cycle was bullish on the defensive side & WRs this cycle; ****, Michael Redding was ranked higher than TVD!!

There were only 2 5* QBs this cycle, then it dropped a whole 200th of a point to CJ Stroud. Technically, TVD was rated as the 15th best QB of the 26th blue chip QBs (since Jackson chose to become a RB instead of a QB). Solid 4*.
Admittedly, I don’t follow recruiting closely. From your list, I recognize the top 3 and TVD. I don’t recognize any of the others as having played any significant time. Does that lend any credence to the argument that even blue chip QB’s are not a program changer?

Class of 2020 QBs:
-Young (5* .9994) ✅
-Uiagalelei (5* .9949) ✅
-Stroud (4* .9780) ✅
-Card (4* .9721) ✅
-Doty (4* .9632) ✅
-Bailey (4* .9555) ✅
-Garbers (4* .9475) ✅
-King (4*.9397) ✅
-Prater (4* .9279) ✅
-Purdy (4* .9227) ✅
-Hornsby (4* .9208) ✅
-Richardson (4* .9204) ✅
-TVD (4* .9173) ✅
-Sims (4* .9169) ✅
-Pine (4* .9164) ✅
-Beck (4* 9095)
-Johnson (4* .9090)
-McQuarrie (4* .9076)
-Alaimo (4* .9071)
-Criswell (4* .9070)
-Dekkers (4* .9006)
-Ashford (4* .9006)
-Miller (4* .8951)
-Smothers (4* .8975)
-Garcia (3* .8896)

I guess you can go by whatever definition of low you’d like.

I was just saying his rating had him closer to 3 stars than 5 stars. Jacurri Brown falls into that same category. These are the guys Miami should be able to sign yearly.

Advertisement
Class of 2020 QBs:
-Young (5* .9994) ✅
-Uiagalelei (5* .9949) ✅
-Stroud (4* .9780) ✅
-Card (4* .9721) ✅
-Doty (4* .9632) ✅
-Bailey (4* .9555) ✅
-Garbers (4* .9475) ✅
-King (4*.9397) ✅
-Prater (4* .9279) ✅
-Purdy (4* .9227) ✅
-Hornsby (4* .9208) ✅
-Richardson (4* .9204) ✅
-TVD (4* .9173) ✅
-Sims (4* .9169) ✅
-Pine (4* .9164) ✅
-Beck (4* 9095)
-Johnson (4* .9090)
-McQuarrie (4* .9076)
-Alaimo (4* .9071)
-Criswell (4* .9070)
-Dekkers (4* .9006)
-Ashford (4* .9006)
-Miller (4* .8951)
-Smothers (4* .8975)
-Garcia (3* .8896)

Even more evidence showing what a crapshoot HS QB recruiting is, once you get out of the 5-stars. What a terrible hit rate. Even at the top, 60% of the top 5 have already transferred, and one was moved to RB. Nice evaluation lol. One you get below that, into top 100 or 4-star territory, its practically a wasteland.

Even more evidence showing what a crapshoot HS QB recruiting is, once you get out of the 5-stars. What a terrible hit rate. Even at the top, 60% of the top 5 have already transferred, and one was moved to RB. Nice evaluation lol. One you get below that, into top 100 or 4-star territory, its practically a wasteland.
everyone transfers esp QBs. no one will sit anymore.

I think it’s idiotic. I was never big on Rashada or a fan of what we were doing ,the only reason I liked it was beating UF. Throwing that much money at a position you take 1-2 every year was just silly. Especially when he wasn’t close to a sure thing type. I’d bet money he either transfers or is a straight up bust.

100% agree with you, @Cribby and @DMoney . We were discussing this last May, and I honestly cannot fathom why we would spend 1M a year on a QB who sits and then has a 50% chance to bust. That's just bad business.

I never like to bash recruits, especially commits. But I was strongly against giving Rashada a big NIL, just didn't voice it on here once it was a done deal. I also felt he had high bust potential. Kids with parents like his acting as agents usually don't do well. Just look at Garcia (or Jarren Williams or Robert Marve). So glad the Gators took him off our hands.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Which is why it's foolish to pay big NIL money for high school seniors. ... For an expected starter like a WR or maybe a CB or RB, sure. For guys who need to bake to have impact, caveat emptor.
i dnt disagree but if you arent putting up numbers on the field or have a bad rep (Mario), you have no choice. transfer QBs are going to places where they know they will succeed. you may have no choice. also, not my money nor the schools money. if mario says, pay up, pay up.

We ain’t having a 35 page conversation about “what the data really says” on QB quality if there was any reason to be confident about this take — as the only QB in the class. Nobody had to defend Emory Williams (who looked a lot better as a 3* than this cat) when the class also had Rashada.

If your QB classes over 3 years are Jacurri Brown, Emory Williams, and Judd Anderson, you would not seem to be serious about winning football in the modern era, no matter how good your DL recruiting is. Especially with one freaking class. Plus, if “winning in the trenches” is essentially all that matters, why didn’t he go nuts on DL last year too? Once again, the current state of the program is cast as “all according to plan”, even if it’s unrecognizable from the previous plan.

We are not UGA, nor are we close to UGA. They’ve also recruited QB at an elite level, they just happened to have a walk on who broke every mould known to man when he was surrounded by the best talent in the country. UGA is evidence of nothing.

It’s amazing to me that Mario still has defenders on this. His offensive recruiting is abysmal outside of OL and RB, he seems to think QB is less than the most important position in the sport, and some of y’all are so invested in him being successful here you’re calling his absurd approach to talent acquisition “reasonable according to the data”.

Devaluing the QB by saying “you can win without an elite player there” is quintessential Miami over the last 20 years: making winning harder instead of easier. Can you win a ship without a stud QB? Yes, but why on earth would you try? It makes it exponentially harder to win without one and exponentially easier to win with one. Miss me with the “it can be done” line, instead explain to me why any HC in his right mind would intentionally make his path to success more difficult by not getting a proven baller at the most important position on the field? Literally should be job 1 of every class. Instead Mario whiffed 2 years straight. Guy can’t even take credit for Brown, kid was already committed.

But again, Miami makes winning harder, not easier. Mario called TVD the best QB in the country in his introductory presser, then proceeded to shackle him with an OC and scheme that turned his brain inside out. Freaking one year later and we’re still hearing “he's a great fit for the style of offense Mario wants to run.” What the heck does that mean? I’d like a kid who’s a terrible fit for Mario’s O, because thus far that kid would be TVD. I mean is MC an OC or an HC? When did he last call plays? Is someone else in the country imitating the vaunted “Mario Cristobal O”. The man got a tree? We have local high school coaches on here, has the Mario Cristobal offensive coaching clinic sold out? Y’all dying for his insight on how to score 10 more ppg, can’t leave without picking the schematic mind that brought you the lowest point totals in Miami history?

If we’re covering his back on QB crooting, shouldn’t we have, I dunno, a playoff or something appearance on his resume to refer to? Or any evidence at all that his offensive philosophy is something other than a net negative?

The truth is that having a mediocre QB makes winning harder, not easier. Just like having a mediocre HC does. Don’t let anyone tell you otherwise.
2AD1FF7A-A967-408F-8ED6-98E34754FC2E.jpeg

COOK!!!

Advertisement
Which is why it's foolish to pay big NIL money for high school seniors. ... For an expected starter like a WR or maybe a CB or RB, sure. For guys who need to bake to have impact, caveat emptor.
And I get that, but we need to start landing some quality players in the portal. Aside from the older Maugoia, our adds have been below avg to slightly above avg. Dawson has his work cut out for him trying to rid the Gattis stench off our offense.

I think you have to be discerning in who you prioritize for sure but I don’t see foolish. Not every QB will transfer if they don’t play right away. I think some may because they are immature and some may because they see no real route to playing. I can also see some transfer because the bill of goods they were sold by the school they signed isn’t what they thought it was, I.e. the program is in disarray.

I do think it is an advantage to pay big bucks for a guy you are convinced will be a major difference maker, and fight to keep him if he isn’t the starter right away. The kid already chose you for a reason in the first place. Also, there is more than 1 way to structure NIL deals. Even in its most basic form, I think it’s worth it to spend 1 million per on a player that won’t play right away. Once we get our depth right, best believe that we will be paying good money for other players that may not see the field for 2-3 years that can transfer just as easily.

For all these posts about how it’s foolish or bad business to invest heavily in premier HS QB recruits, it’s interesting that none of the top programs and coaches agree with that “strategy.” Lincoln Riley is the coach who's had the most success through the portal at QB, by far. But even after Spencer Rattler was a bust at OU, he’s landed two 5*’s out of HS in Caleb Williams (who followed him to USC) and Malachi Nelson.

Not only is Riley investing heavily on HS QB’s, but his offensive reputation and track record with QB's is the polar opposite of Cristobal's. He has landed whoever he wants at QB and will likely continue to do so whether it be through HS or the portal. With Mario? That doesn't seem to be the case, to say the least.

- Alabama is losing Bryce Young to the NFL. Their QB battle now is between 5* Ty Simpson and top 100 overall recruit Jalen Milroe. They landed a Top 100 overall recruit in Eli Holstein last cycle and 5* Julian Sayin is a verbal commit this year. Surely Nick Saban knows that only 1 QB can play at a time, right?

- Clemson has made us look like a JV high school team whenever we've played them in recent years. Dabo's path to championships was spearheaded by Deshaun Watson and Trevor Lawrence. Their most recent 5* QB didn't pan out, so they'll try again with 5* Cade Klubnik. They then signed Top 100 QB Christopher Vizzina in last year's class.

- OSU is losing CJ Stroud to the NFL. Their QB battle this spring/summer is between former Top 50 overall recruit Devin Brown and former 5* recruit Kyle McCord. Unfortunately, they just won the battle against us for Top 100 overall QB recruit Air Noland. Think Ryan Day ever gives a dam that Quinn Ewers transferred?

None of these top programs believe in punting at QB to the point where you're settling for mid-3* projects with weak offer lists in back-to-back classes. And none of these programs have issues landing blue-chip WR talent to play with those QB's like we do. Some really need to look outside of the Miami bubble and realize just how our QB room looks compared to the programs we’re trying to compete against.

And if you’d respond to this by saying we can’t financially compete with those programs for QB’s, then why on earth would you believe we could outspend them to create blue-chip units across the board at WR, OL, DL, and CB?

Admittedly, I don’t follow recruiting closely. From your list, I recognize the top 3 and TVD. I don’t recognize any of the others as having played any significant time. Does that lend any credence to the argument that even blue chip QB’s are not a program changer?

Robbie Ashford was a Mario recruit that transferred to & played for Auburn, better runner than a passer at this point. Jay Butterfield was another Mario recruit that transferred to San Jose St., has only attempted 4 passes in His career. Not mentioned on that list is Tyler Slough, another Mario recruit that ended up transferring to Texas Tech, has put some OK numbers but nothing earth shattering. Lastly, Cale Millen was another Mario recruit that transferred to UConn, mehhhh.

And they were all 4*s btw.

All the star system for QB tells you is how good a kid was in HS, it doesn't tell you how good a kid will be at the College level, crap shoot at best.

Advertisement
Back