On Judd Anderson

View as article
They also are highly coveted and we aren't in the business of "overspending" from what has been reported. Not even sure what that means. If a Pratt or Vandergriff leaves they will either have a destination picked already. Or they will have suitors all over the country. The QB may have less risk but unquestionably will have a higher demand.
And five-star QBs aren’t in high demand? The Portal has more supply and easier evaluations.

They don’t all have to be instant Heismans like Caleb Williams. You pay big for those guys, but you can also get someone with tools who may have been in a bad situation (i.e. Bo Nix and Jayden Daniels). Those players are easier to evaluate accurately because of the college film.

Advertisement
Did you just guess and try and pass off as fact.
ron burgundy anchorman GIF

And five-star QBs aren’t in high demand? The Portal has more supply and easier evaluations.

They don’t all have to be instant Heismans like Caleb Williams. You pay big for those guys, but you can also get someone with tools who may have been in a bad situation (i.e. Bo Nix and Jayden Daniels). Those players are easier to evaluate accurately because of the college film.
It's easy to pick the guys that work but look at UK getting Leary or Wisconsin getting Mordecai or Auburn getting Thorne. Many other examples I could use. Even the portal guys flame out when given a chance to take a step up. Basically kicking the can down the road and hoping we get it right.

It's easy to pick the guys that work but look at UK getting Leary or Wisconsin getting Mordecai or Auburn getting Thorne. Many other examples I could use. Even the portal guys flame out when given a chance to take a step up. Basically kicking the can down the road and hoping we get it right.
I think we will be in a good position to recruit Portal QBs because of our offensive line. Could be wrong. But I think we’ll be happy there.

My concern is DT and CB because it’s hard to find difference-makers in the Portal. Need to do better there.

I think we will be in a good position to recruit Portal QBs because of our offensive line. Could be wrong. But I think we’ll be happy there.

My concern is DT and CB because it’s hard to find difference-makers in the Portal. Need to do better there.
I'm not impressed with our portal usage to-date so I don't share your optimism but my fingers are crossed.

Advertisement
I’ve said this the entire time and even absolutely roasted Judd early in the season this year. Still think that’s the case. And yes Ole Miss told him to find somewhere else to play college ball.

Judd has made serious progress since moving to Warner Robins. Weird because I think Jones County has the better coach. His OL is better at WR and gives him time to step into and make his throws and he’s getting more comfortable. He also has an elite HS WR that he can just throw it up to.

Judd is 100% a sit 3 years and let him compete his last 2 years here.

You might have been the one who mentioned it, but he’s exactly the type of player the ACC recruits at QB. Tall, multiple sport QBs with a good arm who aren’t at their ceiling compared to some HS QBs who play 7v7 year round with a private QB Coach.

Board would be much higher if it was just his new teams film compared to the first month of the season. He’s not taking jobs, but Miami can do much worse for a QB3.

Judd is 100% a sit 3 years and let him compete his last 2 years here.

You might have been the one who mentioned it, but he’s exactly the type of player the ACC recruits at QB. Tall, multiple sport QBs with a good arm who aren’t at their ceiling compared to some HS QBs who play 7v7 year round with a private QB Coach.

Board would be much higher if it was just his new teams film compared to the first month of the season. He’s not taking jobs, but Miami can do much worse for a QB3.
But who is QB1? 🤣

Advertisement
What's the percentage of 3* that pan out yearly?
what percent of 4 star and 5 star qb's end up transferring?

here's a hint, a very high proportion

the portal is way safer and missing on high profile high school qb recruit is not a huge deal relative to the % of busts / transfers at the position

most highly rated recruits at the QB position play minimal / zero relevant snaps at the schools they commit to

Fully Agree.
I've been saying what seems like the most financially prudent method is Use the portal for your starting QB. Always take these developmental (that you legit think have good upside and possibility of hitting) cheaper QBs like Jacurri, Emory, Judd in case they hit. And If you see an absolute stud in HS we can go all out for him. But you don't want to do that every year. If we do that we'll have the cheap developmental depth, but wont be wasting a million+ on a QB on the bench like Texas and UTenn are right now. I want 90% of the QB money going to the starter.
Obviously best case scenario is you get like the #1 Rated QB coming out one year and he's a stud. That can win you a National Championship. But you have to go all out for him and be ready to start him as a true frosh.

Advertisement
what percent of 4 star and 5 star qb's end up transferring?

here's a hint, a very high proportion

the portal is way safer and missing on high profile high school qb recruit is not a huge deal
Again you’re speaking in hypotheticals trying to pass it off as a fact.

Holy **** is this entire conversation comically depressing.

Was the headline of that article “More 4 and 5-Star QBs are transferring than staying”…

Or was it…

The Transfer QB Era is Accelerating: Over 62% of projected Power 5 starters are transfers​

A little naïve to just say they’re all four and five stars. This article doesn’t even mention stars. Personally I don’t know the answer, but you’re defending a point with emotion and no substance.

Cway a seasoned vet, you’re coming to a gun fight yielding a stick of butter.

Advertisement
Was the headline of that article “More 4 and 5-Star QBs are transferring than staying in college”…

Or was it…

The Transfer QB Era is Accelerating: Over 62% of projected Power 5 starters are transfers​

A little naïve to just say they’re all four and five stars without actually listing stats. Personally I don’t know the answer, but you’re defending a point with emotion and no substance.
How is anything I’ve said been through emotion? I stated a fact, you said I was wrong, and now I'm proving that I was right and you were wrong in assuming.

The article I shared before already showed that 65% of Power 5 qb's have transferred at least once

here's data from BEFORE the portal really went hard specifically on 4* and 5* recruits, I expect the number to be higher now

1698977301156.png

here's another article with a bigger sample size (but also from two years ago so the number has definitely risen with the influx of the portal the last few years)

1698977430479.png

the only thing that has changed in this equation really is NIL and we'll see how that impacts the transfer rate

Tennessee was rumored to give Nico 7 million!?, how much would someone like drake maye or a top level transfer get, probably the same right?

the trick is living in the middle, getting good solid evals on a player (we tried with air noland but whiffed). Staff likes Judd and clearly decided to take Judd and then also try their luck in the portal

either way, missing on a top-flight high school qb really isn't a big hit in the long run because 70-80% of the time, they never play meaningful snaps for the team they sign to anyway

Last edited:
Was the headline of that article “More 4 and 5-Star QBs are transferring than staying”…

Or was it…

A little naïve to just say they’re all four and five stars. This article doesn’t even mention stars. Personally I don’t know the answer, but you’re defending a point with emotion and no substance.

Cway a seasoned vet, you’re coming to a gun fight yielding a stick of butter.
I wont spend too much time looking but I remembered an article from Max Olson/The Athletic so I pulled up that one.....
"There was plenty of talent in this year’s quarterback market. Eleven transfers were top-100 recruits coming out of high school, and a total of 45 were blue-chip recruits."

45 former blue chip (four or five star) QBs transferred this year alone. I would say that can be considered a "high proportion" but I guess that term is arbitrary.

Advertisement
Back