On Judd Anderson

View as article
Advertisement
This is the problem with having five different arguments at once. Things get mixed.

Go back and look at the statement you are quoting- I’m talking about signing Top 100 recruit, superstar types. The Lawrences and Tebows. Those guys aren’t necessary to build championship teams. Many title QBs aren’t superstars, and some of the superstars (Burrow, Newton) are transfer kids or non-Top 100 recruits.

Separately, you are making a point about blue chip vs. non-blue chip in general. It’s not a pre-requisite- 67% is not 80-90%- but it’s also not a high bar. We’ve signed a ton of blue chip QBs recently, and it’s very possible that Judd gets a fourth star if he has a good year.

Which brings it full circle to the original point- you don’t need to win the elite QB sweepstakes to win big. Spend big on DL/CB/WR, swing big on QB traits and if you need a safer bet, go to the Portal.

The irony is that Mario signed a Top 50 kid at QB before he left (Ty Thompson). He got beaten out by Bo Nix, who reinvented himself as an NFL prospect behind a Mirabal-built OL.
Elite OLs make 3-star QBs/RBs/TEs/WRs look like 5-stars.

it has been proven repeatedly by teams that are perennial top 5 or better class recruiters and we aren’t Ohio state, bama, or Georgia.

3 stars out number 4 and 5 stars roughly 5:1. 67% of the titles in that minority group is not insignificant.

I don’t really care how they get here, through the portal or as a hs recruit, but we cannot stack 3 star qbs until we are also stacking top 3 classes and think we are going to win anything because a few juggernaut rosters did in the last 20 years. The odds of finding the diamonds are too low, and until proven otherwise the odds of attracting the 1 in 20 undervalued non-blue chip Qb in the portal doesn’t seem highly likely with the rep we have.

It sucks that our blue chip Qb recruits have not cut it, but it doesn’t make reaching for the 50% 1:1 passer more palatable to me.
CIS needs to realize Georgia is the outlier and not the rule. If we can stack 5 straight #1 ranked classes, we can rely on mediocre quarterbacks and still win. Until that day, let’s try to maximize the most important position in all sports.

Until that day, let’s try to maximize the most important position in all sports.
The most important position in sports is NFL QB. The most important position in college football is DL.

It’s irrefutable. And if anyone wants to try and challenge it, posts the three worst DLs to win a title in this millennium and look at the names.

There’s so much copium in this thread right now I can’t keep up.

If we won the battle for Noland, we wouldn’t be seeing any of these “premier QB’s aren’t necessary” posts. It would’ve been an endless stream of booty gifs, optimism about flipping Jeremiah Smith, and posts about how much of a domino effect landing a top QB would have on the rest of the offensive class, especially at WR.

But because we lost the battle for the only premier QB recruit who was giving Miami the time of day, the narrative some are running with now comes off as pure spin.

Some want to just point to the portal as the solution to Mario’s QB recruiting woes, but who was Mario’s most recent portal QB he signed and relied upon in his coaching career? Anthony Brown at Oregon. Oof.

Advertisement
The most important position in sports is NFL QB. The most important position in college football is DL.

It’s irrefutable. And if anyone wants to try and challenge it, posts the three worst DLs to win a title in this millennium and look at the names.
DL is four positions or at least three. Miami’s had really great D linemen over the last 20 years, usually on teams that won 6 or 7 games.

If we won the battle for Noland, we wouldn’t be seeing any of these “premier QB’s aren’t necessary” posts. It would’ve been an endless stream of booty gifs, optimism about flipping Jeremiah Smith, and posts about how much of a domino effect landing a top QB would have on the rest of the offensive class, especially at WR.

But because we lost the battle for the only premier QB recruit who was giving Miami the time of day, the narrative some are running with now comes off as pure spin.

Some want to just point to the portal as the solution to Mario’s QB recruiting woes, but who was Mario’s most recent portal QB he signed and relied upon in his coaching career? Anthony Brown at Oregon. Oof.
Shannon Dawson’s going to have to show that this isn’t a “Mario” offense anymore for any QB or WR to give us a look. Whether Miami fans want to believe it or not, Mario has a rep for a certain style of offense that nobody wants to play in.

DL is four positions or at least three. Miami’s had really great D linemen over the last 20 years, usually on teams that won 6 or 7 games.
Our two best teams over the last 20 years (‘03 and ‘17) had terrible to average QB play. Great defensive lines.

Meanwhile, we’ve averaged 6 wins with a future NFL QB in Tyler Van Dyke.

I’ve been saying the same things for more than a decade. Here is a post from 2012. For context, this was a week before we got a commit from Top 100 recruit Kevin Olsen:

And again, I wanted Air Noland badly. More than anything, we needed the momentum. But he won’t make us or break us. The true tests are going to be DL, WR and CB.

Advertisement
Our two best teams over the last 20 years (‘03 and ‘17) had terrible to average QB play. Great defensive lines.

Meanwhile, we’ve averaged 6 wins with a future NFL QB in Tyler Van Dyke.
WR > DL. Its no coincidence we've struggled. How many skill players will have been drafted between last year and this year? Mallory as a potential Day 3 guy is it. We haven't had a WR, TE or even RB that's helped alleviate some of the pressure off our QB. TVD is not a transcendent player to elevate the talent around him and we haven't given him anyone special to work with.

Why are we ignoring how UGA’s vaunted defenses gave up 40+ against the Bryce Young-led Bama offense with a healthy Williams/Metchie duo at WR and 40+ against the CJ Stroud-led OSU offense with Harrison/Egbuka in the semifinal last year?

Could you imagine a Miami offense performing at that level against the most stacked defense in the country instead of getting booed for kicking a field goal in the closing seconds of a massacre to avoid getting shutout against Clemson (see 2017) or putting up less than 100 total yards in a game?

The elite QB/WR model has proven to be as sustainable as any in modern day CFB. If throwing most of your money at DL was the clear-cut best strategy, then why isn’t Texas A&M a dominant program right now with the DL classes they’ve landed in recent years?

If throwing most of your money at DL was the clear-cut best strategy, then why isn’t Texas A&M a dominant program right now with the DL classes they’ve landed in recent years?
TAMU signed a five star QB and two five star WRs last year, too. They’ve got deeper problems.

As for UGA, what would you say is the biggest reason for their success? Give me a position group.

Advertisement
I’ve been saying the same things for more than a decade. Here is a post from 2012. For context, this was a week before we got a commit from Top 100 recruit Kevin Olsen:

And again, I wanted Air Noland badly. More than anything, we needed the momentum. But he won’t make us or break us. The true tests are going to be DL, WR and CB.

Last year’s WR and CB hauls in Mario’s bump class were nowhere near what the big time programs have been landing, so we’re certainly not off to a great start at those premium positions relative to our competition. I think most would agree that DT recruiting wasn’t up to par either compared to the big boy programs.

And as we’ve both pointed out, our QB talent acquisition has a direct and obvious impact on our chances of reversing course with WR recruiting. It’s a big concern.

It’s not like we’ve been cleaning up at those positions to where subpar QB recruiting can be masked by the rest of the roster. Prior regimes failed miserably at those positions and we have a very, very long to go to measure up at WR/DL/CB with the programs who’ve been mainstays in the CFB playoff.

Wait didn’t this team beat OSU?

Why are we ignoring how UGA’s vaunted defenses gave up 40+ against the Bryce Young-led Bama offense with a healthy Williams/Metchie duo at WR and 40+ against the CJ Stroud-led OSU offense with Harrison/Egbuka in the semifinal last year?

Could you imagine a Miami offense performing at that level against the most stacked defense in the country instead of getting booed for kicking a field goal in the closing seconds of a massacre to avoid getting shutout against Clemson (see 2017) or putting up less than 100 total yards in a game?

The elite QB/WR model has proven to be as sustainable as any in modern day CFB. If throwing most of your money at DL was the clear-cut best strategy, then why isn’t Texas A&M a dominant program right now with the DL classes they’ve landed in recent years?
When two teams of that caliber play twice in the same year it’s not often the same team wins twice. Everyone think Alabama was going to win if the WRs were healthy. They weren’t. The WRs were healthy for almost half the game and there were no TDs by Bama. UGA’s defense was not giving up TD’s. I wanted Alabama to win that game because I’m numb to them and didn’t want UGA to rise but I could tell from the jump Bama was going to have trouble getting the ball in the end zone even with those two stud WRs. Defense still wins championships in college football. 2019 is the year all bets were off. LSU, Clemson, and Bama were lighting it up with some awesome QBs.

Advertisement

Too me it's OL by a mile. The last time we were really good we had an ELITE OL.

TAMU signed a five star QB and two five star WRs last year, too. They’ve got deeper problems.

As for UGA, what would you say is the biggest reason for their success? Give me a position group.

A&M does have deeper problems, but you know what else they did? They landed a former 4* QB from the portal (Max Johnson) to compete for playing time and he proved to be just as inadequate as he was at his prior school once he saw the field. The portal can be a viable solution at QB sometimes, but it certainly wasn’t for them.

For UGA, the biggest reason for their success has been landing classes ranked:

1st in 2018 (7 5*’s, 15 4*’s)
2nd in 2019 (5 5*’s, 16 4*’s)
1st in 2020 (4 5*’s, 15 4*’s)
4th in 2021 (4 5*’s, 12 4*’s)
3rd in 2022 (5 5*’s, 17 4*’s)

It’s that simple and runs deeper than just pointing out their strongest position group. And even a defense as stacked at every level as UGA’s couldn’t do anything to stop elite QB/WR combinations when they faced Young/Williams/Metchie with both receivers healthy in 2021 or Stroud/Harrison/Egbuka in 2022. Their overall roster and the quality of their coaching helped them overcome giving up that many points in those games.

For UGA, the biggest reason for their success has been landing classes ranked:

1st in 2018 (7 5*’s, 15 4*’s)
2nd in 2019 (5 5*’s, 16 4*’s)
1st in 2020 (4 5*’s, 15 4*’s)
4th in 2021 (4 5*’s, 12 4*’s)
3rd in 2022 (5 5*’s, 17 4*’s)

It’s that simple and runs deeper than just pointing out their strongest position group. And even a defense as stacked at every level as UGA’s couldn’t do anything to stop elite QB/WR combinations when they faced Young/Williams/Metchie with both receivers healthy in 2021 or Stroud/Harrison/Egbuka in 2022. Their overall roster and the quality of their coaching helped them overcome giving up that many points in those games.
Georgia is stacked everywhere, but it’s no coincidence that 3 of their 5 first rounders last year were on DL. And they have 2 more coming this year.

Advertisement
Back