On Judd Anderson

View as article
Bama won titles with John Parker Wilson and Jacob Coker, as well as a three star Mac Jones. Georgia just went back-to-back with a no star. Ohio State’s last two titles were with three-star Cardale Jones and Craig Krenzel.

Clemson is the one team where signing elite QB recruits pushed them into the title. And even then, they had first round DL.

The difference between haves and have nots in recruiting is defensive linemen. That’s where we need to allocate the lion’s share of the money.
Do you have any concerns if he is our one QB signee about attracting the WR talent with our current QB room? That’s another piece to the puzzle you didn’t mention with those schools.

Advertisement
Bama won titles with John Parker Wilson and Jacob Coker, as well as a three star Mac Jones. Georgia just went back-to-back with a no star. Ohio State’s last two titles were with three-star Cardale Jones and Craig Krenzel.

Clemson is the one team where signing elite QB recruits pushed them into the title. And even then, they had first round DL.

The difference between haves and have nots in recruiting is defensive linemen. That’s where we need to allocate the lion’s share of the money.
we didn’t allocate towards the DL last year. What gives you reason to believe we will this year?

The war daddies get paid the most and the last time we landed a highly rated DL was Forston who was an absolute bust!

DT and CBs are expensive and we have yet to land a stud at those positions. You want to compete? Land 3 DTs a year. We’re lucky we got 1 who was previously committed to UNC.. And corners?! Lol we haven’t landed 1 since Brandon Harris

John Parker Wilson never led Bama to a Nat’l Title; he left right before that title team. The 2009 team was led by McElroy, who was a 3 star QB. Both McElroy & Coker were 3-star QBs, but were also rated as top 15 Pro-Style QBs in the nation.

Jones was a 3-star QB who took over for JT Barrett in the B1G Championship game. He only played in 3 games; but, coming out he was also ranked as the #10 Pro-Style QB in the nation.

The rating systems & intel was much different from the early 2000’s - 2012.

UGA took a no-star QB, told him to work on his game, & Bennett came back as the #5 JUCO QB in the nation b4 coming back to the roster.

Also, let’s not discount what both Bama & OSU had going for them: OSU in 2014 featured some guy named Ezekiel Elliot who was the best back in CFB. 2009 Bama featured their first Heisman winner in Mark Ingram II who was the best back in the nation. The 2015 team featured some guy named Derrick Henry & he was the best back in nation. Both teams were able to keep their QBs versatile, & the defense honest b/c they had SUPERSTAR RBs leading the way. Kinda like Krenzl having that dude named Maurice Clarett protecting him.

If u’re not going to have a super star QB, then u better have a RB that’s a super star. U cannot have two subpar players in the back field. U can have a QB that’s a game manager, but that running game better be special, or vise versa. U cannot have both. Imo, importance is at the QB position first & foremost b/c u have a lot of room of error to cover up w/ a rock star QB, the trenches (on both sides), WRs, RBs, secondary in that order of importance. Jmo.

Clemson is the one team where signing elite QB recruits pushed them into the title. And even then, they had blue chip, first round DL.

The common thread between Ohio State, Clemson, UGA, and Bama is also elite WRs. If a program has 1 elite WR, it's in good position to easily win 9-10 games a season. If it has 2 elite WRs, its basically cheating. And WRs are the easiest to project based on rankings. Building an elite DL takes more players and more luck (rankings don't correlate as closely to performance compared to WR) . I think lions share of $$$ should go to WR, and then rely on good talent evals for DL.

Advertisement
UGA, Bama, and that LSU team had immensely more talent than our team has ever had as of late. If this is the blueprint they want to follow, WR, OL, and DL recruiting needs to be elite and so far we’re 1/3 on those.

While Bama won with Mac, he was the 2nd QB taken in that class with Tua, and they still ended up signing the: #5, #1, #13, #3, #8/#13 ranked QBs in their respective classes with the current #2 ranked QB in this class.

At the end of the day it is all dependent on if Dawson can scheme an offense that puts up numbers that skill players will want to play in regardless whoever is at QB.
For the most part, QB has not been the problem with our team. King, Kaaya and TVD were/are very good college QBs. As you noted, the gap comes with the rest of the roster.

Nobody is saying we shouldn’t want an Air Noland. Mario wanted him badly and I did, too. But the college game is not the NFL in terms of the QB position.

This class will be made or broken on DL, CB and WR. Those are the $ positions in recruiting, and the first two are much harder to fill in the Portal.

Nobody is saying we shouldn’t want an Air Noland. Mario wanted him badly and I did, too. But the college game is not the NFL in terms of the QB position.

This class will be made or broken on DL, CB and WR. Those are the $ positions in recruiting, and the first two are much harder to fill in the Portal.
So we should be able to allocate more NIL to finally fixing the CB issues than?

Because that looks bleak again too.

The common thread between Ohio State, Clemson, UGA, and Bama is also elite WRs. If a program has 1 elite WR, it's in good position to easily win 9-10 games a season. If it has 2 elite WRs, it’s basically cheating. And WRs are the easiest to project based on rankings. Building an elite DL takes more players and more luck (rankings don't correlate as closely to performance compared to WR) . I think lions share of $$$ should go to WR, and then rely on good talent evals for DL.
Elite run games & at least one elite WR

Advertisement
Jones county previous QB was John Alan Richter, he had 38 Total TDs 7INTs 3500 total yards in 2021 and Jones county went 10-3, he ended up committing to Toledo.
Happy Hour Drinking GIF

That may be true, but portal is also basically free agency which means paying NFL money for a college QB. Is UM willing to do that? So far doesn't seem to be the case for WRs, so not confident that we'd break open the piggy bank for a top transfer QB.
You don't seem to have paid attention last year. We offer top dollar for Rashada, the Gator collective overpaid out of desperation, and we all know how that turned out. @Cribby said a top package was offered for Inness but after then FSU happened, he wasn't coming for any amount.

Ponying up for a NIL package is not the reason why we're struggling signing QBs or WRs.

For the most part, QB has not been the problem with our team. King, Kaaya and TVD were/are very good college QBs. As you noted, the gap comes with the rest of the roster.

U can break it down to them 50 times. Explain the strategy and they still act thick. Getting a QB off another teams roster is not hard. Its the other positions, DL, CB and WRs where they are not gonna take chances after settling into a spot unless they are from smaller schools.

It’s quickly becoming my biggest concern. We are weak there right now. Unlike QB, it is a very difficult to fill in the Portal.
We have multiple blue chip athletes playing CB and more to arrive. If our coaches cant make power 5 CBs out of them something is wrong. Graves, Young plus Harris with Stafford and Damari to arrive. At some point our coaches have to earn their salary. And with Guidry as the DC i expect massive improvement. We cant always be looking at portal and high school, only to turn around and say they are young and need time.

Advertisement
The common thread between Ohio State, Clemson, UGA, and Bama is also elite WRs. If a program has 1 elite WR, it's in good position to easily win 9-10 games a season. If it has 2 elite WRs, its basically cheating. And WRs are the easiest to project based on rankings. Building an elite DL takes more players and more luck (rankings don't correlate as closely to performance compared to WR) . I think lions share of $$$ should go to WR, and then rely on good talent evals for DL.
All Hail Applause GIF by Billboard Music Awards

And every non-star person believes they have the secret talent decoder ring that the rating services don’t.
Rating services heavily skew their ratings towards those who attend camps and play 7x7. Also, for predictive purposes, they're more accurate for positions where physical attributes (which are more easily measured) dominate. The one outlier is QB, physical characteristics don't dominate. Don't forget a quote from Howard Schellenberger " If I had to rate the top 10 characteristics of a successful QB I'd put arm strength at the bottom of the list".
And Mario has shown zero ability to develop a QB. When you’re that bad at it up to this point in your career, and you were brought in to be a recruiting first coach, you don’t get a 3* QB pass.
I keep reading this and don't get what people expect. He's a lineman by trade, a position group that people have repeatably said is one of the hardest groups to evaluate out of high school. He's seemed to hit on all his offers, not just the 5*'s, even the lower rated guys don't appear to be jags.

I get that he's the head coach and has overall responsibility but QBs is not in his wheelhouse, that's why he brought in Dawson. The OC will have overall responsibility on this evaluation and the ensuing development. Additionally, the stakes are so high, I doubt that Alonzo hadn't weighed in on this evaluation.

This commitment announcement, with the accompanied tweet that he was considered on the same level as Air, was not the best way of handling this. Combined with no track record for Dawson's evaluations led left us in considerable discomfort. I'm struggling to be non-judgmental but the biggest problem I'm having is his accuracy percentage.

Rating services heavily skew their ratings towards those who attend camps and play 7x7. Also, for predictive purposes, they're more accurate for positions where physical attributes (which are more easily measured) dominate. The one outlier is QB, physical characteristics don't dominate. Don't forget a quote from Howard Schellenberger " If I had to rate the top 10 characteristics of a successful QB I'd put arm strength at the bottom of the list".

I keep reading this and don't get what people expect. He's a lineman by trade, a position group that people have repeatably said is one of the hardest groups to evaluate out of high school. He's seemed to hit on all his offers, not just the 5*'s, even the lower rated guys don't appear to be jags.

I get that he's the head coach and has overall responsibility but QBs is not in his wheelhouse, that's why he brought in Dawson. The OC will have overall responsibility on this evaluation and the ensuing development. Additionally, the stakes are so high, I doubt that Alonzo hadn't weighed in on this evaluation.

This commitment announcement, with the accompanied tweet that he was considered on the same level as Air, was not the best way of handling this. Combined with no track record for Dawson's evaluations led left us in considerable discomfort. I'm struggling to be non-judgmental but the biggest problem I'm having is his accuracy percentage.
U making too much sense. I never seen Mario Cristobal calling plays, yet he gets tagged as a QB killer. Its baffling to me. His actual position is A+ recruiting, high school and portal. Which means the RBs are gonna eat.

He takes blame for hiring Gattis but i like Dawson as a QB coach. He developed Geno Smith 10 years ago plus Thune who was rated like this kid with less arm talent more recently. Whats funny to me as well is Mario Cristobal is the first coach i see our fans blame for misses at every position. When we couldnt get LBs they blamed Patke, when we struggled with CBs they blamed Rumph, before that QB issues was on Jon Richt.

Now, every position miss is Mario lol

Advertisement

Clemson is the one team where signing elite QB recruits pushed them into the title. And even then, they had blue chip, first round DL.

True but OSU, Bama, and Clemson all also had elite WR play too. Gotta start finding difference makers there too.

John Parker Wilson never led Bama to a Nat’l Title; he left right before that title team. The 2009 team was led by McElroy, who was a 3 star QB. Both McElroy & Coker were 3-star QBs, but were also rated as top 15 Pro-Style QBs in the nation.

Jones was a 3-star QB who took over for JT Barrett in the B1G Championship game. He only played in 3 games; but, coming out he was also ranked as the #10 Pro-Style QB in the nation.

The rating systems & intel was much different from the early 2000’s - 2012.

UGA took a no-star QB, told him to work on his game, & Bennett came back as the #5 JUCO QB in the nation b4 coming back to the roster.

Also, let’s not discount what both Bama & OSU had going for them: OSU in 2014 featured some guy named Ezekiel Elliot who was the best back in CFB. 2009 Bama featured their first Heisman winner in Mark Ingram II who was the best back in the nation. The 2015 team featured some guy named Derrick Henry & he was the best back in nation. Both teams were able to keep their QBs versatile, & the defense honest b/c they had SUPERSTAR RBs leading the way. Kinda like Krenzl having that dude named Maurice Clarett protecting him.

If u’re not going to have a super star QB, then u better have a RB that’s a super star. U cannot have two subpar players in the back field. U can have a QB that’s a game manager, but that running game better be special, or vise versa. U cannot have both. Imo, importance is at the QB position first & foremost b/c u have a lot of room of error to cover up w/ a rock star QB, the trenches (on both sides), WRs, RBs, secondary in that order of importance. Jmo.
No doubt you need star playmakers to win big. Those RBs you mentioned were also Top 100 recruits, unlike the championship QBs.

That position is pretty easy to evaluate.

My brotha from anotha; in all due respect, that 2017 Clemson team was loaded. Lol. You’re forgetting Clemson also had 1st round pick Mike Williams on that team, future NFL Pro-Bowl WR Hunter Renfrow, & a defense that flooded the NFL.

Clemson has been a consistent 11-15th ranked recruiting class. In fact, since Dabo has been HC since the 2009 recruiting cycle (15 cycles), out of those 15 cycles Clemson’s classes has finished top 10 only 5x, only two which were in the top 5.

I know that’s hard to fathom with all the success they’ve been having since 2011, but it’s true. It’s why I consider him a **** good coach b/c compared to how O$U, UGA, & Bama recruit, he’s done much more w/ a less caliber roster. Dabo’s success has pretty much been predicated on the QB position & a strong defense. It started w/ Tahj Boyd, then continued on through Lawrence. DJ was a big disappointment, but still managed to win 10+ games w/ him. If Cade lives up to the hype, Clemson will still be a major thorn.
If Watson isn’t there it’s unc to the playoffs in2015.
Renfrow hadn’t even earned a scholarship in 2015. Dexter didn’t get there till 2016.
The 2015 team was mostly Watson.
In 2016 I believe is when they got that monster dline and we’re mostly freshman. Ferrel redshirted the 2015 season.
D Lawrence was a terror the minute he got in the field as a true freshman in 2016.
When Watson left, that 2017 team he as loaded! Kelly couldn’t win the big one and eventually sunshine took over as a freshman and took a stacked squad to the natty the next year.

I know the history with Dabo and Taj. Obviously they were talented enough to play well. But they had about as much nfl talent drafted as we had during that time and actually we likely had more.
When Watson got them to the playoffs is when everything changed for them.

If Watson isn’t there it’s unc to the playoffs in2015.
Renfrow hadn’t even earned a scholarship in 2015. Dexter didn’t get there till 2016.
The 2015 team was mostly Watson.
In 2016 I believe is when they got that monster dline and we’re mostly freshman. Ferrel redshirted the 2015 season.
D Lawrence was a terror the minute he got in the field as a true freshman in 2016.
When Watson left, that 2017 team he as loaded! Kelly couldn’t win the big one and eventually sunshine took over as a freshman and took a stacked squad to the natty the next year.

I know the history with Dabo and Taj. Obviously they were talented enough to play well. But they had about as much nfl talent drafted as we had during that time and actually we likely had more.
When Watson got them to the playoffs is when everything changed for them.

The point I’m making is Clemson’s classes have been primarily ranked between 11th - 15th for the majority of Dabo’s tenure as HC, even with Watson. He’s hit the mark on QB & WR particularly. Which is y I said getting a top QB should Always be the priority b/c it can mask deficiencies & make the O go.

Advertisement
Back