On Feb 7th, Al Golden couldn't/wouldn't recruit Dade...

k9cane

Senior
now he's Gennady Golovkin'ing everyone in this region. It's amazing how perception/reality can change in a short period of time

UM is lucky to have this guy as it's football CEO( and yeah, yeah, I realize, he's gotta win some games, I'm well aware of that)

But what he did at Temple, his plan, his process, can and will work anywhere. At a program like UM it can do major damage. It's built on sound principles and laying a long-term foundation. This is just the beginning. It's amazing this guy/staff is doing while still under the cloud of the NCAA

Question is, what changed in terms of recruiting Dade? It really looks like this staff isn't playing any games.

Advertisement
A man by the name of James Coley came to town with his cuban coffee and started assisting the Don in his endeavors

A man by the name of James Coley came to town with his cuban coffee and started assisting the Don in his endeavors

Could it be that Jedd Fisch going upstream to Jax was the best thing to ever happen to our recruiting efforts?

Just another year of the territory under his belt now. He knows how these kids do it down there now, got spurned a couple times, made a couple mistakes, but hes learning from all of it. The Don settling into his own now.

Also a man by the name of Hurlie Brown. I think that's an understated recruiting job of Golden's also.....the way he has recruited members of this staff!!!

Advertisement
I really don't think there is any kind of shift in recruiting philosophy from last year to this year. Rather, I look at the recent surge of South Florida commits as representing changes in circumstances from year to year. NCAA clouds starting to clear, larger class size, deeper 2013 South Florida talent pool, and a general lack of recruiting drama (so far) have all contributed to our recruiting resurgence moreso than any perceived effort to simply "recruit South Florida better." JMO.

Plus i dont think hes willing to wait around and get left at the alter. I honestly dont think he will wait even for a talent like lane. Only reason he will wait for JOJO is because of the NW connection. But if dixon and berrios committ earlier like they claim they will neither will have a spot. We may be done with our class before the season starts and may just focus on holding the class together.

Plus i dont think hes willing to wait around and get left at the alter. I honestly dont think he will wait even for a talent like lane. Only reason he will wait for JOJO is because of the NW connection. But if dixon and berrios committ earlier like they claim they will neither will have a spot. We may be done with our class before the season starts and may just focus on holding the class together.

nobody will say no to lane

Now get this man:

167.jpg

Advertisement
now he's Gennady Golovkin'ing everyone in this region. It's amazing how perception/reality can change in a short period of time

UM is lucky to have this guy as it's football CEO( and yeah, yeah, I realize, he's gotta win some games, I'm well aware of that)

But what he did at Temple, his plan, his process, can and will work anywhere. At a program like UM it can do major damage. It's built on sound principles and laying a long-term foundation. This is just the beginning. It's amazing this guy/staff is doing while still under the cloud of the NCAA

Question is, what changed in terms of recruiting Dade? It really looks like this staff isn't playing any games.

Preaching to the choir for me.

You asked then answered your own question right there. Look at how many high-star rated recruits are committed prior to the start of their senior year in HS. In year's past we've watched both Randy and Coker get played by recruits who want spots held for them until NLOI day only to be left at the alter. When coach Golden said on camera last year, "If you're looking, we're looking..." (in reference to a commit taking other visits), I think the message was sent.

I had an interesting exchange with longtime Scout.com analyst, Mike Bakas on this very issue. He noted that 16 of his top 20 are already committed this year. That is a huge change from year's past. I think coaching staffs around the elite D1 programs are getting tired of the recruiting games. Remember, it was the internet that seems to have created this nonsense. We're basically about 10-15 years into the internet recruiting industry. I see this as a next-step in the evolution of the industry; Pushback from the marketplace (i.e.: BCS coaches)

Advertisement
I really don't think there is any kind of shift in recruiting philosophy from last year to this year. Rather, I look at the recent surge of South Florida commits as representing changes in circumstances from year to year. NCAA clouds starting to clear, larger class size, deeper 2013 South Florida talent pool, and a general lack of recruiting drama (so far) have all contributed to our recruiting resurgence moreso than any perceived effort to simply "recruit South Florida better." JMO.

Fn good post

I think the philosophy is the same, just sometimes, because of a varying degree of factors we have discussed at length, things just roll a certain way.

We've seen how much momentum plays a role in recruiting. Teams suddenly pop up, us, Ole Miss, Kentucky etc and have monster recruiting seasons. The SEC still reigns supreme in the eyes of recruits. Yeah sure there could be foul play but there's no way that accounts for all of it.

Some years we are going to crush it in SFLA and some years we won't, even winning championships. But the staffs built for long term success can adapt to those changing conditions and still reel in top flight recruits and players we need from every corner of the country. I think we have one of those staffs.

Nothing happened. Golden has been in beast mode since he arrived. Last class was small and we landed studs nationally that filled positions of need. Unfortunately our local media sucks and our fans are chicken littles so they ran with some BS that Golden wasn't recruiting South FL well which couldn't be further from the truth. You also had local HC's *****ing and moaning when players nationally were targeted by this staff who had few scholies to hand out.

This 2014 class will finish stocking the cupboard and the 2015 class will be the first reloading class. Golden is about to have this program oozing talent like days of old and he knows how to develop and coach that talent up. ***** about to get real!

Advertisement
I really don't think much changed and I dont think the NCAA stuff had much of an influence on what happened last cycle. This year their are more good recruits in south Florida last year Jax and Tampa were loaded and they are not Miami hotbead. The recruiting cycle however is speeding up for everybody

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back