Older guys - 35+

Advertisement
Back in the 60's and 70's, newspapers was about all we had - Miami Herald, Sun-Sentinal and the Hollywood Sun Tattler. WQAM was a rock & roll station back then until FM took over. I had access to the media guides and would get game day programs attending games or from my father. Rarely saw games on TV and can't ever remember seeing coach or player interviews.

I was 9 years old when the Dolphins came to Miami in '66. It brought more attention to the city but news about the Canes was still difficult to come by - especially since we weren't a prominent program at the time.

Used to use early man's telepathic powers. Sadly, it's been lost to the ages, superseded by the Internet.

Remember the call in recruiting numbers.... definitely relied on the herald. Being a grad, I always seemed to have someone around the program with info.

Canesport and Street&Smith. The Herald covered the Canes pretty well. Instead of SMD and Manny you had real, professional reporters like Ed Pope, Jimmie Burns (Way back), Dan Lebertard etc. WQAM also was a good. Hank Goldberg lasted well into the computer age. Sonny Hersh did a nice job in addition to being the voice of the Hurricanes.

Advertisement
I thought you were looking for 35+ year olds with a year of eligibility to try out for punter. I’m good for one punt farther than any of our punters...will rip hammy but I would do it for our team🙌🙌🙌. I followed via Herald

How did you follow the canes year round before the internet?

When I was a kid in the 50s it was the Herald and the Daily News. Later it was the library’s old issue newspapers from around the country.

LOL, I used to forget about football from February to September. Never crossed my mind.

I was probably a happier person back then.

Advertisement
When I was at Fresno State (86 - 91) I used to go to Tower Records every Tuesday morning and pick up the previous Sunday's Miami Herald just to read the articles on the Canes.

I also used to buy every preseason rag on the shelf as soon as it came out in early August just to find out who the Canes landed in recruiting.

Then in the early 90's there was a fax service that would provide fax machined updates on recruiting. I did that for a while.

Anyone remember the"Miami News"? I believe that was the name. They competed with the Herald. Early 80's?

Advertisement
Anyone remember the"Miami News"? I believe that was the name. They competed with the Herald. Early 80's?

News was the afternoon paper, aimed more at working class reader. It was a little more right of center than the Herald which was leftie even back then. Herald eventually bought it out.

Advertisement
In 66 I was in the Navy. I spent the 66 season in New Zealand. Fortunately I had a girl friend who worked in the University of Otago library. So, at least I got 3 week old SI. Too bad, it was a great season. I didn’t get to see any fotball, but the *** was great.

Lol. Great story lad. My great grandfather is from Launceston, Australia. He hooked up with a local cutie and had kids spread out all throughout the South Pacific. One pocket of my NZ family owns a large ranch in Hawkes Bay. My great grandfather's niece has an endowment setup at the University of Otago and The University of Auckland. I would retire there.

I'm 35.

When I was growing up we had this thing called the internet.

I think this thread is for the AARP crowd.

You old *****.

Wow u guys are really taking me back. I had an SI subscription too. I remember getting the issue with the canes DBs on the front and losing my mind!!!

Athlon sports put out a pretty good pre season mag that I always bought too

Advertisement
Back