Older guys - 35+

Dingaan1828

Miss my dog
How did you follow the canes year round before the internet?

When I was a kid in the 50s it was the Herald and the Daily News. Later it was the library’s old issue newspapers from around the country.

Advertisement
37 yrs Old, It was tough out here in Cali, I was lucky to get to see 4-5 games a year back in the day

Advertisement
Miami Herald/Sun Sentinel. Didn’t follow recruiting until 1999/2000.

But I loved reading the Saturday/Sunday paper in the 90s. Love seeing updates stats on the players and the standings.

It’s funny and amazing how you appreciate the little things when you don’t have all information at your disposal 24/7.

Great memories!

Library or newspaper stand. I would get all or (a lot) of the newspapers from Florida, and yes, CaneSport, and I still have a stack, also, @fraggle . Still remember the one when Nate Webster committed.

Last edited:
I am 35...I don't like this thread lol I had Internet in my room since the 8th grade...so I don't think this applies.

Though I was thinking about self identifying my age...maybe 70. You can do it with everything else now so why not. I want my discounts...social security...and medicare. Tell me I cant...I will sue for discrimination.

Advertisement
From 92- 2000 I was in Ft Walton Bch....Only Cane News there was my *** Yelling like a F-ing Lunatic in 92 & 2000....

In 66 I was in the Navy. I spent the 66 season in New Zealand. Fortunately I had a girl friend who worked in the University of Otago library. So, at least I got 3 week old SI. Too bad, it was a great season. I didn’t get to see any fotball, but the *** was great.

I am 35...I don't like this thread lol I had Internet in my room since the 8th grade...so I don't think this applies.

Though I was thinking about self identifying my age...maybe 70. You can do it with everything else now so why not. I want my discounts...social security...and medicare. Tell me I cant...I will sue for discrimination.
Hey there was a dude on TV the other day suing somebody, he wants to legally change his age, says if you can change your name, your ***, etc you should be able to change your age. He wants to be like 35, he's in 60's now, said if he can change to 35 then he will feel 35, and do things 35's do. Thought it was pretty funny, and he has a point I guess

Advertisement
They had a Miami Herald newspaper machine in front of the courthouse, that was the only info, outside of mainstream media, news stations, I think espn was around in the early 80's. Occasionally, at night, I could get some of the South Florida radio stations, I could catch bits here n there. There wasn't nearly as much info out for public knowledge during the off season as there is now, and recruiting info was almost unhears of, unless you lived nearby, or was plugged in somehow. Thinking back on it,.. We're a spoiled lot these days!! Prolly much less of a distraction to the student athlete, as well as the coaching regimes!!
The Tampa Tribune was another source of info, but that stand only ran 2 days a week I think..tue., and Friday.

Advertisement
Stationed in GTMO from 71 to 73. I worked at a Journalist for AFRTS (American Forces Radio and Television Service). I got my sports scores and stories directly from the Associated Press feed. At 6:00 we would do the Saturday scores that were available and then Sunday we did the late scores ffrom the day before. On Monday we had a talk show where some of the senior enlisted guys would talk about the weekend games.

One of the guys on the show was a chief petty officer who was from Ohio and was a die hard Ohio State fan. All he ever talked about was OSU, regardless of what game the group was discussing. That's when I grew to despise OSU. I cannot tolerate total azzholes and he was one. Since then I have consider ALL OSU grads/fans the same way.

How did you follow the canes year round before the internet?

When I was a kid in the 50s it was the Herald and the Daily News. Later it was the library’s old issue newspapers from around the country.

Espn ... sporting news ....canesport newspaper

I can remember when the Miami Herald would show a play using multiples photographs. There was a dotted line showing the path of a pass with a circle around the football.

Advertisement
Back