Older guys - 35+

37 yrs Old, It was tough out here in Cali, I was lucky to get to see 4-5 games a year back in the day

Preach brody. It was hella tough prior to the internet boom in Cali. ESPN, The Sports Machine, Sporting News were like the only ways I could remotely keep up w/ the Canes. Fortunately one of my neighbors was also a big Canes fan, so he helped out a young pup back in the day with his connects to Miami.

Advertisement
I lived up north. Back in the 60s and 70s, I would only see the Herald on rare occasions. I had the media guides sent to me. I also used to get Street and Smith’s magazine preview of the coming season. The few sentences on Miami were deeply appreciated.
Until the early 80s, there were few college games on TV. Then, after a court decision, I believe, things opened up and more games were aired.
In the 60s, my dad and I would sit in the car on some Friday nights and try to get the games on his car radio, which was more powerful than the radio at home. I remember one game in particular — when Miami and Notre Dame played to a 0-0 tie, I believe.
We are living in the golden age of sports media. Every game is on TV or the ESPN app, even the ones against Savannah State and Bethune Cookman. We know every twist and turn in a recruit’s thinking. We get interviews after many practices.

Mostly just espn and the few games a year that where televised in the mid-late 80s. Was mostly outside raising **** and running the neighbor hood when I was a youngsta.

But I remember it raining the day of the Convicts vs Catholics game in 88, so I was inside that day. My older brother was already a fan so I had just followed him up until I sat and watched that game. I instantly knew that was my team for life. After that anytime they was on TV I was watching.

Never really followed recruiting until 07-08, by that time there was plenty of sites to get news.

How did I follow the Canes way back when?

Sun Sentinel / Herald when I lived here

After we left; Rode my dinosaur to the library to read various sports magazines newspapers.

Indepth reading of Playboy's College Football Edition

In college: at the OB

Last edited:
Advertisement
In the early 80s, in Columbus, Ohio there wasn't a lot of access to Florida media, Nationally televised games and sports mags, where the only outlets. Canes were so awesome then, I was lucky because they got a lot of national attention.

My parents used to ship copies of the Miami Herald sports page to me at school, and then overseas when I was in the Marines. Star and Stripes used to publish box scores as well. For recruiting, I used to read the lists published in the Herald. Later, I discovered Border Wars Magazine.

The Miami herald and pre season magazines. There use to be a newspaper store on Miller and 95 called Jim's Newstand where I would pop in and read what I could on the canes. In 1997 I found out about grassy and that changed the game.

Advertisement
Miami Herald as a kid and then the Herald and local am sports radio...Jim Mandich, Hank Goldberg, Ed Kaplan...

Miami Herald, Sun Sentinel, Palm Beach Post. I really miss the amount of in-depth sport coverage these newspapers use to provide. The sports sections today are shells of their former selves.
I remember how they use to go through the match ups, position by position, and give their analysis on who had the edge at each and why. Also miss the elaborate, game-inspired cartoons from the papers' staff artists that would don the paper's front page on gamedays...

How did you follow the canes year round before the internet?

When I was a kid in the 50s it was the Herald and the Daily News. Later it was the library’s old issue newspapers from around the country.

I’m 38 and really started following Canes football on the internet through Grassy.com. Prior to that I used to just order CaneSport Magazine or pre season mags and read up.

My first hint at recruiting I actually called a freaking phone number started by Ferman I believe and paid per minute listening to Canes updates. The updates went sooooo slow, I remember Martin Bible was committed to Pitt and was thinking of flipping to Miami that’s my first memory.

Advertisement
Lol I'm 35 and yall acting like the internet has only been around for 5 yrs haha

Long long ago when I was young (like 10), i could only find out scores in the sports section. Growing up in canada, Toronto to be exact, local tv would only play two teams games; U of Syracuse and U of Michigan.

After watching Syracuse get stomped out by Miami year after year it was a rap. Those Syracuse vs Miami games were like Christmas to me cause unless we played a nationally televised game I didnt get a chance to see my canes. But "in the old days" we use to tape everything and watch it like 1000x times over.

Went to a lot of practices - grew up blocks from campus. Herald, all sports, canesport newspaper were all staples of my youth

Advertisement
Who remembers waiting for 20 and 50 minutes after the hour for Jerome Jurenovich on CNN Headline Sports for scores?

Or using a pager for scores? That **** was dope in the mid/late 90’s to get a score of any game any time.

I also read the Sun-Sentinel and Miami Herald. Did Edwin Pope write for the Canes or just Fins? Can’t remember.

Born and raised in Jersey, soon to be 40. New York/Jersey/Philly is a pro sports area. As a kid in the mid 80's Miami was on TV all the time, I just loved them. Giants vs Broncos and Canes vs Penn St are my earliest football memories. I was about 7-8yrs old. I followed thru watching games on TV and I had an SI subscription and would tear the pictures out of Canes and hang them on my walls and bedroom door.

Advertisement
Back