OL recruiting and Searels

Duane Starks, Michael Boireau, Derrick Ham, Jerome McDougle, Ivan Mercer, Andrew Williams, Cornelius Green, McKinnie, Shockey.

4 of these ended up as 1st rounders. All were drafted except for Mercer and Ham.

Could've been others, but these are the JUCOs that I recall without giving it too much thought.

While it's true that not all JUCOs will pan out, it's quite evident that Butch and staff made it look quite easy to find players who could produce at a high level.

Shockey and Mckinnie are the only two Jucos I can think of.

Advertisement
McKinnie is the only one that I recall.

But our OL wasn't an issue, at least during the last 2-3 years of the Butch years - don't remember the first couple as well, but Erickson did leave the cupboard bare in a few areas - especially the OL where we had a TE (Etheredge) playing as an OL towards the end of his era.

And we were also more creative than the current staff with finding OL. We got 4 quality OL from Canada during that time - Romberg, Mercier, Haji-Rasouli and McGrath. And, as I recall, all were productive.

But Butch also had TEs with actual TE size who could block- like Bubba Franks. He took the top UCLA LB out of the game in the '99 game single-handedly.

And FBs who could block and actually played - like the guy out of Farmington Hills Harrison, MI - can't remember his name, but he was as good an FB as the school has had. He changed his name in the NFL for some reason.

There's a reason why the RBs during the Butch era produced so well - and it's not just because of the RBs - it's because of the OL, the TEs who could block - unlike anyone on the roster at the moment - and FBs who actually played instead of sitting on the bench (like the solid FB we had a couple years ago from Georgia who got drafted).

How many juco offensive linemen did Butch find for Miami other than McKinnie?

Duane Starks, Michael Boireau, Derrick Ham, Jerome McDougle, Ivan Mercer, Andrew Williams, Cornelius Green, McKinnie, Shockey.

4 of these ended up as 1st rounders. All were drafted except for Mercer and Ham.

Could've been others, but these are the JUCOs that I recall without giving it too much thought.

While it's true that not all JUCOs will pan out, it's quite evident that Butch and staff made it look quite easy to find players who could produce at a high level.

But our OL wasn't an issue, at least during the last 2-3 years of the Butch years - don't remember the first couple as well, but Erickson did leave the cupboard bare in a few areas - especially the OL where we had a TE (Etheredge) playing as an OL towards the end of his era.

And we were also more creative than the current staff with finding OL. We got 4 quality OL from Canada during that time - Romberg, Mercier, Haji-Rasouli and McGrath. And, as I recall, all were productive.

But Butch also had TEs with actual TE size who could block- like Bubba Franks. He took the top UCLA LB out of the game in the '99 game single-handedly.

And FBs who could block and actually played - like the guy out of Farmington Hills Harrison, MI - can't remember his name, but he was as good an FB as the school has had. He changed his name in the NFL for some reason.

There's a reason why the RBs during the Butch era produced so well - and it's not just because of the RBs - it's because of the OL, the TEs who could block - unlike anyone on the roster at the moment - and FBs who actually played instead of sitting on the bench (like the solid FB we had a couple years ago from Georgia who got drafted).

Nice. Butch definitely got creative when it came to recruiting and it worked. The OL from Canada bit was awesome. They were beasts no doubt... Isn't Bibla from there too? I'm still of the opinion that there's a reason or multiple reasons that these kids are in JuCo or grad transferring. But respect your opinion.

It's interesting that you mention Bibla.

I don't know that a lot of Canes fans know, but Bibla was actually one of the top OL in the country when we got him.

He's from PA - went to Crestwood HS.

As for JUCOs, from what I've seen, most of the time it's unfortunately due to grade issues and not qualifying at the college they may have committed to.

With Shockey, it was because he wasn't really recruited. He grew quite a bit during his time at the JUCO in Oklahoma and Coker discovered him. (Coker and Butch are both originally from Oklahoma).

Nick Williams.

Offensive line talent was adequate until 1998/1999 when Butch brought in Romberg, Bibla, Haji-Rasouli, Gonzalez and McKinnie. A lot had to do with sanctions obviously. We started dropping off in 2000. Chris Myers was very good. Carey was outstanding. Guys like McGrath and Wilkens were more fillers than anything else. It was more hit or miss. But that 2001/2002 offensive line was the best in school history.

Advertisement
We killed Kehoe because he never went anywhere but Miami. I think it’s a good thing that Searels has been at programs like Georgia, LSU, Texas and Virginia Tech. Coaches move around.

Anyway, the OP is more about his recruiting. I like the identity he is recruiting to.

If you want nasty, you have to recruit nasty. Teaching it requires brutality that is not allowed. City mean and country mean both work and can be unbeatable if combined. I love a little nasty in online.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Just talked to Wrights cousin through Text and he said Wright cant wait to sit down with Searles. Said he was bummed he didnt get to visit during the Spring Camp but has plans to be at Paradise Camp this summer. He wants to see how he will be coached and if he will fit in the culture in Miami and see what all the city can provide for his future after football.

Just talked to Wrights cousin through Text and he said Wright cant wait to sit down with Searles. Said he was bummed he didnt get to visit during the Spring Camp but has plans to be at Paradise Camp this summer. He wants to see how he will be coached and if he will fit in the culture in Miami and see what all the city can provide for his future after football.
Must get him on campus or we have no shot. Paradise camp is creeping up, planning to come needs to turn into "I'm coming".

Advertisement
Curious - do the kids have to fund the entire trip to the Opening or does the invite include anything ? (transportation, lodging etc)

The Camp is free and Nike used to cover the lodging since it was at their Headquarters but this year it is at the Cowboys Practice Facility. But in the past they had to pay to get there. This year, not sure about the lodging

Advertisement
Back