OL recruiting and Searels

DMoney

D-Moni
Administrator
Coach Searels has been the subject of a lot of discussion lately. My view on him is that he inherited dead weight and mismatched pieces from Kehoe. The beginning of his tenure was rough, culminating in a disaster at Blacksburg. But from the 2016 Pitt game on, he's put out a unit that gives our offense a chance. The pass blocking has been solid and the zone-heavy run game has shown flashes.

With that said, there is an obvious difference between Miami and the playoff OLs. We aren't as good up front as those teams. To get to that level, we need to start moving people.

Richt is dying to run more power but lacks the personnel. I'm not sure the 2018 line will be much different. But by 2019, once young guys get more seasoning, you should start to see the fruits of Searels's recruiting labor.

He has been recruiting to an identity. Guys like Delone Scaife, Corey Gaynor and John Campbell take pleasure in burying people. And the two commits this year seem cut from the same cloth:

Michael Tarquin

Kingsley Eguakun

Advertisement
Searels has been a journeyman his entire career and hasn’t really had any sustained success anywhere. And he’s coached at some bigtime programs.

We killed Kehoe because he never went anywhere but Miami. I think it’s a good thing that Searels has been at programs like Georgia, LSU, Texas and Virginia Tech. Coaches move around.

Anyway, the OP is more about his recruiting. I like the identity he is recruiting to.

Searels has two tasks -- he needs to add Neal to this class, and needs to find an RT from all the kids he's got on roster. But I like the vector.

If Searels doesn’t land Neal and another quality lineman it’s going to be ugly for him.

Advertisement
Searels has been a journeyman his entire career and hasn’t really had any sustained success anywhere. And he’s coached at some bigtime programs.

He had success at LSU and you can argue he had success at Georgia. He literally hit the tail ends of both the Mack Brown and Frank Beamer eras.

I agree with DMoney on this one. We desperately need tackles this cycle.

Coach Searels has been the subject of a lot of discussion lately. My view on him is that he inherited dead weight and mismatched pieces from Kehoe. The beginning of his tenure was rough, culminating in a disaster at Blacksburg. But from the 2016 Pitt game on, he's put out a unit that gives our offense a chance. The pass blocking has been solid and the zone-heavy run game has shown flashes.

With that said, there is an obvious difference between Miami and the playoff OLs. We aren't as good up front as those teams. To get to that level, we need to start moving people.

Richt is dying to run more power but lacks the personnel. I'm not sure the 2018 line will be much different. But by 2019, once young guys get more seasoning, you should start to see the fruits of Searels's recruiting labor.

He has been recruiting to an identity. Guys like Delone Scaife, Corey Gaynor and John Campbell take pleasure in burying people. And the two commits this year seem cut from the same cloth:

Michael Tarquin

Kingsley Eguakun

Both look like nasty pricks, just what we need on our line.

Advertisement
We have to see some improvements this year. The guys he has this upcoming season are more his guys than last year. I know that he didn't recruit half the guys, but he has had 2 years now to mold the guys we have. It's not like we had 2* scrubs on the line either, we have averaged 4* all across the O Line

We have to see some improvements this year. The guys he has this upcoming season are more his guys than last year. I know that he didn't recruit half the guys, but he has had 2 years now to mold the guys we have. It's not like we had 2* scrubs on the line either, we have averaged 4* all across the O Line

Part of good coaching acumen is having the ability to be able to do more with less. Coaching the players up, motivating them to give 110%. We see it all the time with smaller teams or lower division teams. He's had more talent at his disposal than most D1 schools. There really should be no more excuses.

Advertisement
He had success at LSU and you can argue he had success at Georgia. He literally hit the tail ends of both the Mack Brown and Frank Beamer eras.

I agree with DMoney on this one. We desperately need tackles this cycle.
Remember the Peach Bowl against LSU in 2005 and how they mauled us at the line of scrimmage and ran all over us? Searles coached that LSU O-line, and that's probably the kind of O-line he really wants here. The majority of the upperclassmen O-Linemen currently on the team are finesse guys. We need more maulers like Donaldson.

OL and QB are the two positions that simply can't be fixed overnight. All the Skill positions are easy to fix at Miami. We have no problem signing stud WR/RB/DBs when we're good. And people see that and assume that everythings fixed.

The problem with OLine, is you can't just fix that in 1-2 years of recruiting. The fact is first you have to recruit the elite Olineman, then you actually have to develop them for a couple years because OLineman aren't typically instant impact players. Most OLineman need a couple of years of grooming.

The interior of our OLine looks solid. The problem is very clearly at OT. Thats not going to be a problem just this year, this is gunna be a problem the next 2 years. And thats why Evan Neal, Darnell Wright and Tarquin are so important. Get those 2 currently uncommitted guys, and theres no question we are going to have an Elite OLine eventually.

Advertisement
OL and QB are the two positions that simply can't be fixed overnight. All the Skill positions are easy to fix at Miami. We have no problem signing stud WR/RB/DBs when we're good. And people see that and assume that everythings fixed.

The problem with OLine, is you can't just fix that in 1-2 years of recruiting. The fact is first you have to recruit the elite Olineman, then you actually have to develop them for a couple years because OLineman aren't typically instant impact players. Most OLineman need a couple of years of grooming.

The interior of our OLine looks solid. The problem is very clearly at OT. Thats not going to be a problem just this year, this is gunna be a problem the next 2 years. And thats why Evan Neal, Darnell Wright and Tarquin are so important. Get those 2 currently uncommitted guys, and theres no question we are going to have an Elite OLine eventually.
This is a great take. O line probably has the steepest transition from highschool to college. Most of these kids get away with being tall and fat and bullying people and when they get to college they have to reform their bodies and their techniques to deal with straight up gorillas upfront.

Here is Coach Searels recruiting philosophy in a nut shell. He wants very large human beings who are country strong an that don't like people and tend to be a lil country if he can find them.

Sounds like Searels follows the @Paranos dating model.

We killed Kehoe because he never went anywhere but Miami. I think it’s a good thing that Searels has been at programs like Georgia, LSU, Texas and Virginia Tech. Coaches move around.

Anyway, the OP is more about his recruiting. I like the identity he is recruiting to.
right. your original post is on point too. Look at the momentum changing INT against Wisconsin last year, KC a very experienced senior completely misses a block like hes true freshman. Guys like jones, milo, mahoney, etc have been here years and cant get on the field. Our best talent is young but like richt says, OL takes a couple years to develop. I think Searles has been an above average recruiting, just have to see how he develops kids.

Advertisement
Back