OL recruiting and Searels

The OL that we've been getting under Searels seem to be a clear improvement from the past couple staffs.

But they still need to produce on the field. It's still indeterminate (at least to me) how good Searels will be in this area.

Looking at the team as a whole, it's puzzling that the staff hasn't done anything with JUCOs - not just the OL, but TE, DL, etc.

I noticed that there are a couple more recent JUCO offers (LB and DE), but that's about it for this class.

Need to use all the tools in the tool box if you expect to compete for championships each and every year.

Advertisement
they should have brought more guys in the 17 class, when Jones and Mohaney arte in your starting 5, you misjudged something, either numbers or talent

You know I think this OLine is going to be much better come Week 5 (Start of ACC Play) than any of us would think today.

I truly think Donaldson is going to step up at RT and be good there. And if he does that we have the 3 most important OLine spots covered with St. Louis, Gauthier and him. Then we got 4 guys competing for those starting OG spots - Boulware, Jahair Jones, Hayden Mahoney, and Deone Scaife. Donaldson is the key, and I believe he will be ready.

Oline will be better than last year.

Handpicked? He was a commit that was added late in the first cycle. They legitimately needed bodies at the position.
So he shouldn’t be held responsible? It’s time other guys like Hillary and Herbert step up also. All 4 of these guys were given scholarships to be tackles. Right now we can’t find one right tackle. It’s early in the later 2 careers but there’s an obvious reason for concern. You’d like to see at least one of them step up and be a Miami caliber player 2 plus years in the system.

Where did you get this from? Do they even know each other?
Even though I probably will take some heat for this,Twitter I asked and their is lots of interest. Yes they know about each other but aren’t talking friends but let’s wait until Darnell Wright visits which he wants to do very soon.

Advertisement
I'm baffled that we haven't been hearing any JUCO names.

The best tackle this program has produced, Bryant McKinnie, redshirted after coming out of Lackawanna. And Lackawanna has a history of producing linemen. Unless you get a bounce back, I'm not crazy going the juco route for an offensive tackle. Many juco offensive linemen need a shirt or at least a year to acclimate. Coaching isn't great at the juco level and they don't weight training like they do at a P5 school. Very few come in prepared and it has to be a special kid to be a take.

You know I think this OLine is going to be much better come Week 5 (Start of ACC Play) than any of us would think today.

I truly think Donaldson is going to step up at RT and be good there. And if he does that we have the 3 most important OLine spots covered with St. Louis, Gauthier and him. Then we got 4 guys competing for those starting OG spots - Boulware, Jahair Jones, Hayden Mahoney, and Deone Scaife. Donaldson is the key, and I believe he will be ready.

Oline will be better than last year.

I just don't see it for 2018. 2019 is when we see the improvement. Searles has his work cut out for him.

Kehoe really sucked in the end which is unfortunate. It is what it is though. Guess he was, “Trusting the process.”

In my opinion, Art's downfall the first time around and it continued his second tour was he tended to recruit kids just like him. He favored hardworking, overachievers. Got worst with Golden who wanted ballooned up linemen.

Even though I probably will take some heat for this,Twitter I asked and their is lots of interest. Yes they know about each other but aren’t talking friends but let’s wait until Darnell Wright visits which he wants to do very soon.

I'll take it. Darnell Wright takes a starting tackle spot the second he steps on our campus IMO

Advertisement
Richt hasn’t had much turnover with coach’s With that being said I could see this being Searels last season. Guys a southern man and could see him heading to SEC or ACC (Carolina, Va) territory at seasons end.

John Campbell is our future right tackle... kid is gonna be YUGE!!!
**** not if We get Wright and Neal.
I think Donaldson is about to lock down the RT spot the next 2 years.
Once Neal comes hes our future RT, with Wright at LT....though I guess Neal could play RG...but Cleveland Reed I think is gunna eventually be a mauler. Scaife locking down the LG spot eventually too.

Richt hasn’t had much turnover with coach’s With that being said I could see this being Searels last season. Guys a southern man and could see him heading to SEC or ACC (Carolina, Va) territory at seasons end.

LOL. I can't see any SEC school picking him up(besides Vandy) with his track record. I can see Virginia though.

Advertisement
So he shouldn’t be held responsible? It’s time other guys like Hillary and Herbert step up also. All 4 of these guys were given scholarships to be tackles. Right now we can’t find one right tackle. It’s early in the later 2 careers but there’s an obvious reason for concern. You’d like to see at least one of them step up and be a Miami caliber player 2 plus years in the system.
Moving goal posts. I just said that Tre Johnson wasn't handpicked. He was a project that was added weeks after a new coaching staff was hired and was scrambling for players. Nkosi Perry is handpicked. Tre Johnson is not.

I will never understand how people expect really young and inexperienced players to step into major roles so quickly. ****, neither Herbert or Hillery were even 300 pound when they got on campus, Hillery was injured for part of spring last year and was set back, Herbert just now went through his first spring ball after arriving last summer. Hasn’t even had spring ball yet, but he’s supposed to step in and be a quality starter? Takes time to develop on the OL guys, especially when the entire 2-deep has been shuffling positions and have not had time to settle into a single one yet.

Advertisement
Heading into year 3 and our best tackle is a kid recruited by Kehoe and Golden in St Louis. No other tackle is ready so Donaldson was moved outside.

Our OL is a ****show.

**** not if We get Wright and Neal.
I think Donaldson is about to lock down the RT spot the next 2 years.
Once Neal comes hes our future RT, with Wright at LT....though I guess Neal could play RG...but Cleveland Reed I think is gunna eventually be a mauler. Scaife locking down the LG spot eventually too.
Neal should play left long as he gets in shape. Navaughn has a long way to go till he should be playing that rt spot. Being real with you right now he looks like erick flowers does as a member of the giants on a consistent basis... he HAS A LONG way to go. Thats not to say i dont think he can or should. But ideally id love to see him be able to stay at lg. You just have to see what this kid already looks like. Hes impressive with the eye test. A year with gus will do some amazing things for him. Wright i just dont know enough about.

If i was oL Coach no way would Donaldson be lining up at RT. I would literally rather go or train up a Mahoney/Gauthier before i forced him out there. Again..this is a kid that got beat by dts on regular speed moves when he got tired and his technique wavered..you cant do that on the outside. Hes an acc 1st team level guard.
How bout you recruit better tackles or get JUCO's or Grad transfer tackles instead of another guard?.

If i was oL Coach no way would Donaldson be lining up at RT. I would literally rather go or train up a Mahoney/Gauthier before i forced him out there. Again..this is a kid that got beat by dts on regular speed moves when he got tired and his technique wavered..you cant do that on the outside. Hes an acc 1st team level guard.
How bout you recruit better tackles or get JUCO's or Grad transfer tackles instead of another guard?.
100% agreed. By the way were doing that with gauthier. Staff loves what we got with gauthier & gaynor
Hillery,donaldson & scaife are getting there. Main thing i notice when i see the line is physically theres very few of them that have anything to them. Maybe this doesnt make sense but ive always thought each position on the line has a specific look. Gaurds having the bulk,tackles the stature & centers just being out of shape. To me alot of our line has a centers build right now. As ive always said i dont know crap about ol. I just dont think they have the grit necessary right now. I just hope they atleast work on cohesion as a unit.

Advertisement
Back