OL Juan Minaya commits to Miami

View as article
Never knew he has interest in coming here. Sounds like we should’ve recruited him harder. We need more kids out of Jersey.
He was telling me by the time he chose a school it was Penn state, Ohio State, or USC. Penn State recruited him the hardest. He said loved the U they just didn’t recruit him.

Advertisement
If you're not going to be a star guy, the trick is to identify guys before they blow up and get in early on them. It's what evaluations are all about. And it's not Mario suddenly getting an epiphany, I have to believe that Alonzo and the support staff has considerable input on these evaluations. How well these evaluations (and subsequent development) are done will determine how good a class we get. I've thought for some time, the value of a class is not based on how the top end of the class turns out, but how good the bottom end turns out.

What's going on is actually smart. It's getting the core of the class committed with high 3*s and 4*s then closing in on the studs. And we will eventually get some, but probably not everyone on the wish list. Manny did the reverse and when the studs went elsewhere, that's when the reaches occurred. It was a clusterf*ck just before signing day.
This really answers the question we’ve had in our heads past decade, “How does a team with lower stars beat our team with higher stars?” I even remember the general consensus out there that we had player development problems. I believe this staff has perhaps identified the sweet spot of who/when/how of recruiting to get the most dividends out of players. Of course, the jury is still out on the end result, but this is intriguing and comprehensible.

****es me off. NJ kids love everything about Miami. We could eat in that state. But every year they go to ND, Taint and PSU because we ignore them.
Agreed!!! I've lived in South Jersey and in Miami. NJ folks are like NY folks...They LOVE the 305!!. I hope someone on the FB staff is paying attention to these message boards. And if they are, then they should have already known about NJ. Still tho....We need to pull from NJ more now than in the past.

Advertisement

game of thrones hbo GIF

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Back