OL Juan Minaya commits to Miami

View as article
Advertisement
I’ve never really been a star guy but I gotta tell ya I also have a hard time with believing that suddenly Mario and these recruiters are the only ones identifying these future studs as if they have some unique superpower that no other programs have. One or two flyers I get - happy to be proven wrong, but right now, this class is very suspect.
Obviously Mario & staff weren't the only ones identifying him as he had several other big-time offers.

Advertisement
Big kid … like the approach to build or oline with 6 6 type kids… can take time to develop him… would be nice that he is a diamond in the rough hopefully. Unfortunately we have fans who would bit ch if they found a 100 bill on the ground and it wasn’t new
Captain America Lol GIF by mtv

Advertisement
He told Gaby he is 6'6, 330 and 16 years old.

I agree with @gogeta4 on others on the tape- he isn't there yet. But from a body type perspective, it makes sense. This will be one of the biggest OLs in the country starting this year.
Hey Dmoney! That's the point he doesn't need to be there now! by that same logic when we was sweating/praising pancake honcho and guess what he not ready yet either. Minaya is 1 1/2 years away from getting here we need to calm down.

If you're not going to be a star guy, the trick is to identify guys before they blow up and get in early on them. It's what evaluations are all about. And it's not Mario suddenly getting an epiphany, I have to believe that Alonzo and the support staff has considerable input on these evaluations. How well these evaluations (and subsequent development) are done will determine how good a class we get. I've thought for some time, the value of a class is not based on how the top end of the class turns out, but how good the bottom end turns out.

What's going on is actually smart. It's getting the core of the class committed with high 3*s and 4*s then closing in on the studs. And we will eventually get some, but probably not everyone on the wish list. Manny did the reverse and when the studs went elsewhere, that's when the reaches occurred. It was a clusterf*ck just before signing day.
THIS!!

Wish more of you dumbasses would re-read this man’s post. He is spot on.

Use your evals - that’s what the staff is paid to do - to find the under rated studs early before they blow up. Minaya is the type to go to BC and push our **** all the way in for four quarters.

And for the star whores, this kid is a 4 star just on size and upside. 6’6” 315 benching 225 20x at 16 years old…. Just think about what kind of an animal he could be in 2-3 years if he’s hungry.

He’s a take all **** day.

"It's getting the core of the class committed with high 3*s and 4*s then closing in on the studs."
Another advantage to this approach is that it create scarcity. The divas can't play games forever if there are legitimately limited slots available.

Advertisement
"It's getting the core of the class committed with high 3*s and 4*s then closing in on the studs."
Another advantage to this approach is that it create scarcity. The divas can't play games forever if there are legitimately limited slots available.
Lol those “diva” 5 star and 4 star players are not being turned down. We aren’t Bama brother

Welcome to the U!! OLine is going to be huggggge! I love the body types and we have the coaches to develop them.

Trenches trenches trenches

Advertisement
I’ve never really been a star guy but I gotta tell ya I also have a hard time with believing that suddenly Mario and these recruiters are the only ones identifying these future studs as if they have some unique superpower that no other programs have. One or two flyers I get - happy to be proven wrong, but right now, this class is very suspect.
Look at what Mario and Mirabel did at Oregon with under rated lineman as well... Proof is in the pudding.

If he's really 320-330 at 16, hopefully that gives him plenty of time to shed any bad weight and work on quickening his feet. As I said elsewhere, I've only watched those Junior Highlights, so I don't think anything is really fair to conclude.

From those highlights, the top positive attribute that stood out was balance. The attribute I'd say is the biggest opportunity (based on solely that film) is foot quickness. There just aren't a lot of examples of him moving more than a handful of feet where he closes ground.

As a comparison, you watch Kinsler's tape and you see a bunch of those examples:

(If you click that link, within the first few clips, Kinsler pulls from the RT spot, gets downfield, spins, closes ground on back 7 guys, etc. It surprised the **** out of me and I thought was really impressive as a development guy)

To be fair, it's Kinsler's senior film vs Minaya's junior film, and we'll see how Minaya progresses from his current level. I think Minaya appears to be a different brand of "giant." Look forward to seeing his future film and development. Hope he's a hard worker like Anez Cooper.

Advertisement
Back