OG Corey Martinez update

His dad posts updates on Whorechant

I know some on here seem to be confident regarding martinez, but is this not the same kid that was heavily leaning towards FSU a little while back? Or am I confusing him with someone else?

I think FSU fans feel that he is one they should get; a player that should they lose, Trickett should be gone.

That's how they feel about Martinez.

Advertisement
+1
If anything FSU may present a better opportunity due to a larger alumni base... That being said, FSU is a major university doors will be open regardless... Depending on the students internships, majors, research, etc. will create an opportunity not the name... Unless its an Ivy League institution, Standford, Duke or its equivalent not too many employers care where you come from. There looking for a candidate with some sort experience and traits that can help their business...

UM is a great school but lets not pretend as if it is Harvard... I remember graduating from High School and they didn't have the highest admission criteria in the state... New College then UF had that spot... And lets be honest, all of the big 3 has something to offer academically...

Amazing stuff.

Are you aware that when comparing two schools academically, you should compare just them two and not other schools.

No one is saying UM is Harvard, no one is comparing UM to Stanford but it is a PRIVATE SCHOOL and is really good and better than FSU. Miami is better than Tulane and UF too but that is irrelevant because the argument is Miami v. FSU.

So when discussing academics between Miami (PRIVATE) and FSU (STATE), lets please stick to academics between the two schools.

When you graduated from High School is also insanely irrelevant because we're comparing them today and not some random date when you graduated.

Repeating yourself, does not make your argument any less nonresponsive. If you want to start a post comparing academics, go for it. We are responding to Jruiz's post about what is on the graduate's "resume." But carry on.

and the ultimate irony is you repeat this "insane" descriptor, when you are the dip**** throwing out the strawman.

Since you are the expert on the vast alumni network that is Miami v. FSU, why don't you enlighten us why FSU is better?

I hate belaboring this, but want to clarify that I am not arguing that FSU is a better school than UM. As I have said, I am not comparing academics at all. If I were, I would argue that UM is a better school. UM has smaller classes, so presumably there is more attention from the professors, and a better opportunity to engage in classroom discussion. Also, UM has moved up the ranks in recent years, even nudging ahead of UF, which has been the best academically-rated school in the state since at least the late '80s.

My argument is that there is a negligible difference - if any at all - for a job applicant purely based on his having a degree from UM v. FSU (or UF for that matter). Employers look at your grades, relevant coursework, work experience, extracurricular activities, etc...

My argument is that there is a negligible difference - if any at all - for a job applicant purely based on his having a degree from UM v. FSU (or UF for that matter). Employers look at your grades, relevant coursework, work experience, extracurricular activities, etc...

Are you an employer? I am not, I am just asking.

It is that way for some employers, but for a lot of firms they have a short list of top schools where they recruit. Miami has made some good inroads to solid firms over the last decade, but then again I doubt he would be looking for a Wall Street job, which is the type of place where having an entrenched alumni presence to champion candidates is critical.

Advertisement
+1
If anything FSU may present a better opportunity due to a larger alumni base... That being said, FSU is a major university doors will be open regardless... Depending on the students internships, majors, research, etc. will create an opportunity not the name... Unless its an Ivy League institution, Standford, Duke or its equivalent not too many employers care where you come from. There looking for a candidate with some sort experience and traits that can help their business...

UM is a great school but lets not pretend as if it is Harvard... I remember graduating from High School and they didn't have the highest admission criteria in the state... New College then UF had that spot... And lets be honest, all of the big 3 has something to offer academically...

Amazing stuff.

Are you aware that when comparing two schools academically, you should compare just them two and not other schools.

No one is saying UM is Harvard, no one is comparing UM to Stanford but it is a PRIVATE SCHOOL and is really good and better than FSU. Miami is better than Tulane and UF too but that is irrelevant because the argument is Miami v. FSU.

So when discussing academics between Miami (PRIVATE) and FSU (STATE), lets please stick to academics between the two schools.

When you graduated from High School is also insanely irrelevant because we're comparing them today and not some random date when you graduated.

Repeating yourself, does not make your argument any less nonresponsive. If you want to start a post comparing academics, go for it. We are responding to Jruiz's post about what is on the graduate's "resume." But carry on.

and the ultimate irony is you repeat this "insane" descriptor, when you are the dip**** throwing out the strawman.

Since you are the expert on the vast alumni network that is Miami v. FSU, why don't you enlighten us why FSU is better?

I hate belaboring this, but want to clarify that I am not arguing that FSU is a better school than UM. As I have said, I am not comparing academics at all. If I were, I would argue that UM is a better school. UM has smaller classes, so presumably there is more attention from the professors, and a better opportunity to engage in classroom discussion. Also, UM has moved up the ranks in recent years, even nudging ahead of UF, which has been the best academically-rated school in the state since at least the late '80s.

I attended both types of schools, and I can say from my limited sample size that private is a much better experience. The quality of education is of course largely dependent on the effor you put in, but I can say that while I was at a large public univeristy I felt like just another number in this massive herd of students. If you care about academics I can't see how you wouldn't be better off at UM, even if you want to argue the final results are equivalent.

Not currently, but I was on hiring committees and conducted interviews for law school graduates and laterals for several years.

Amazing stuff.

I attended both types of schools, and I can say from my limited sample size that private is a much better experience. The quality of education is of course largely dependent on the effor you put in, but I can say that while I was at a large public univeristy I felt like just another number in this massive herd of students. If you care about academics I can't see how you wouldn't be better off at UM, even if you want to argue the final results are equivalent.

I went to public HS in a pretty small school (800 students total) and my classes in HS had more students in them then at Miami. There is a big difference between public and private school. I found it easier to focus with less people in the room, like the lectures were directed towards myself.

Not currently, but I was on hiring committees and conducted interviews for law school graduates and laterals for several years.

You work for a big firm?

Advertisement
As I said before it comes down to the work you put in while in college... All of the big 3 has something to offer regarding their academics... And all 3 are nationally acclaim and has their nationally rank premiere programs... My mentioning of the other institutions is just an unbiased example of how UM doesn't present that much of an advantage for students... As I have already stated depending on your internships, research, grades, and majors that's what employers look at... Some of you make it seem as if UF and FSU are tier 4 institutions... Those are some quality institutions... When I was in high school (class of 06) UF was the most demanding school to be admitted into, followed by New College in Sarasota... That being said, each of the big 3 has something to point in academics... As far as class size that may not have an affect on some students... Once you enter your upper division courses your class sizes shrink dramatically...

Advertisement
Back