OG Corey Martinez update

i hate when kids say "academics are more important" but have FSU as a finalist

The typical student will learn about the same amount at FSU as he would at UM.

If for whatever reason football doesn't fall through, a degree from Miami looks a **** of a lot better on a job resume

People need to pull back on some of these overhyped assumptions. yes, UM over the last decade has made huge strides in it's academic ranking. Now it's right around the 50 mark. That's commendable, but let's not get carried away. It's not like UM has the national reputation of schools that open doors based on the name alone -- ie Ivy League, Stanford, Cal Tech, Military Academies, Duke, etc........

What is FSU? around 100? that difference is essentially negligible on a "job resume." The vast majority of prospective employers are not just going to write off the FSU candidate, bc of the school. They're going to look at the kid's major, grades, job experience, and extracurricular activities. in some respects, the lesser-ranked state school might open more doors, just because they have more graduates out there doing the hiring, and might have a bias towards students from their own school.

+1
If anything FSU may present a better opportunity due to a larger alumni base... That being said, FSU is a major university doors will be open regardless... Depending on the students internships, majors, research, etc. will create an opportunity not the name... Unless its an Ivy League institution, Standford, Duke or its equivalent not too many employers care where you come from. There looking for a candidate with some sort experience and traits that can help their business...

UM is a great school but lets not pretend as if it is Harvard... I remember graduating from High School and they didn't have the highest admission criteria in the state... New College then UF had that spot... And lets be honest, all of the big 3 has something to offer academically...

Advertisement
+1
If anything FSU may present a better opportunity due to a larger alumni base... That being said, FSU is a major university doors will be open regardless... Depending on the students internships, majors, research, etc. will create an opportunity not the name... Unless its an Ivy League institution, Standford, Duke or its equivalent not too many employers care where you come from. There looking for a candidate with some sort experience and traits that can help their business...

UM is a great school but lets not pretend as if it is Harvard... I remember graduating from High School and they didn't have the highest admission criteria in the state... New College then UF had that spot... And lets be honest, all of the big 3 has something to offer academically...

Amazing stuff.

Are you aware that when comparing two schools academically, you should compare just them two and not other schools.

No one is saying UM is Harvard, no one is comparing UM to Stanford but it is a PRIVATE SCHOOL and is really good and better than FSU. Miami is better than Tulane and UF too but that is irrelevant because the argument is Miami v. FSU.

So when discussing academics between Miami (PRIVATE) and FSU (STATE), lets please stick to academics between the two schools.

When you graduated from High School is also insanely irrelevant because we're comparing them today and not some random date when you graduated.

Fsu had biggest academic cheating scandal in NCAA history. Solid academic institution

Amazing stuff, serious academics at FSU. Let us not forget the great philosopher from Florida State State Arrington Jenkins who once said "anyone who leaves a motorcycle out should expect to have it stolen."

Profound ****!

If for whatever reason football doesn't fall through, a degree from Miami looks a **** of a lot better on a job resume

People need to pull back on some of these overhyped assumptions. yes, UM over the last decade has made huge strides in it's academic ranking. Now it's right around the 50 mark. That's commendable, but let's not get carried away. It's not like UM has the national reputation of schools that open doors based on the name alone -- ie Ivy League, Stanford, Cal Tech, Military Academies, Duke, etc........

What is FSU? around 100? that difference is essentially negligible on a "job resume." The vast majority of prospective employers are not just going to write off the FSU candidate, bc of the school. They're going to look at the kid's major, grades, job experience, and extracurricular activities. in some respects, the lesser-ranked state school might open more doors, just because they have more graduates out there doing the hiring, and might have a bias towards students from their own school.

+1

College is also about learning and improving ones intellect and maturity. Much easier to get lost in a three hundred person lass that can be watched online than in a 15 person class where he teacher can focus on you. Networking is also important and opening does is one sgnificant critera but not all to judge the effectiveness of a college education

+1

College is also about learning and improving ones intellect and maturity. Much easier to get lost in a three hundred person lass that can be watched online than in a 15 person class where he teacher can focus on you. Networking is also important and opening does is one sgnificant critera but not all to judge the effectiveness of a college education

Nope, the answer is Miami is not as good as Stanford.

Oh and in case you did NOT get this from the stuff above, Miami has the better student:teacher ratio.

Advertisement

A has nothing to do with B. If academics are important one would think they would go to the best school available.

Sure you can learn the same things at school A and school B but academic prestige/ranking would weigh into my decision.

Depends on what Corey meant by "academics." Notice that you had to reword "academics" as "academic prestige/ranking" to make it mean what you wanted it to mean.

I interpreted bransuperpower's remark to suggest that Corey's statements were inconsistent with each other. I don't think they are.

Last edited:

A has nothing to do with B. If academics are important one would think they would go to the best school available.

Sure you can learn the same things at school A and school B but academic prestige/ranking would weigh into my decision.

Depends on what Corey meant by "academics." I interpreted bransuperpower's remark to suggest that Corey's statements were inconsistent with each other. I don't think they are.

If someone just said, when asked what is important to you when picking a college, "ACADEMICS."

What do you think they meant?

Depends on what Corey meant by "academics." Notice that you had to reword "academics" as "academic prestige/ranking" to make it mean what you wanted it to mean.

I interpreted bransuperpower's remark to suggest that Corey's statements were inconsistent with each other. I don't think they are.

I guess FSU having one of the worst graduation rate in CFB and UM having one of the best doesn't count toward "academics" either?

Advertisement

Depends on what Corey meant by "academics." I interpreted bransuperpower's remark to suggest that Corey's statements were inconsistent with each other. I don't think they are.

If someone just said, when asked what is important to you when picking a college, "ACADEMICS."

I know what I meant when I made similar statements about my own situation. I went to college A rather than college B primarily because I had been told that college A had a better department in my primary field of interest. I went to college A to study under some of the top people in that subject area. I didn't use the term "academics," but I mentioned to several people that college A "had one of the best departments in the country" in my intended major. My main focus was learning as much as I could rather than speculating about what would look better on a resume.

Now you raise the possibility that other people mean something different from what I meant. My guess is that some do, and some don't.

Last edited:

I know what I meant when I made similar statements about my own situation. I went to college A rather than college B primarily because I had been told that college A had a better department in my primary field of interest. I went to college A to study under some of the top people in that subject area. I didn't use the term "academics," but I mentioned to several people that college A "had one of the best departments in the country" in my intended major. My main focus was learning as much as I could rather than speculating about what would look better on a resume.

Now you raise the possibility that other people mean something different from what I meant. My guess is that some do, and some don't.

Wow

I guess FSU having one of the worst graduation rate in CFB and UM having one of the best doesn't count toward "academics" either?

FSU serious on academics.

Several kids (not football players) have asked for my advice on where to go to college. Among other things, I tell them that the most prestigious colleges they can get into may not be good fits for them. I tell them that professors tend to teach to the top half of the class. If an average kid somehow gets into Harvard, the faculty won't even be attempting to teach to his or her level. What you learn depends on what courses you take, how hard you work, and luck factors such as what professors teach your sections. Professors are not hired on the basis of teaching ability. I had bad ones and I had good ones. I almost suspect that the teachers at mid-level colleges tend to be better than those at the top institutions, who are hired mostly on the basis of excellence in research.

Advertisement
Threadkilla brings the info bigtime lately. Unfortunately, it's hard to read with Sarah Jean right next to all those words.

This post is insanely stupid. We're comparing academics, then lets JUST COMPARE ACADEMICS.

No one is comparing Miami to the Ivy League, but how about we compare PRIVATE SCHOOL versus PUBLIC SCHOOL? Miami academics and FSU academics are really different and it has nothing to do with rankings according to USNews. Class size, program strength, private v. public, name brand recognition and academic prestige all favor Miami.

UM might not have the reputation of Duke but people know it is a good private school, does anyone have anything nice to say about FSU? It is a FSU academics we're comparing Miami too, not the IVY Leagues.

"Insanely stupid." Let's take this step-by-step, since apparently you can't read. I responded to this post: "If for whatever reason football ... fall through, a degree from Miami looks a **** of a lot better on a job resume." You conveniently failed to include that statement in your reactionary strawman post, that also contained a couple unsupported bull**** rah rah assumptions.

I was not "comparing academics," the strawman argument you pulled out of your ***. I certainly was not comparing UM or FSU to the Ivy League, Stanford, etc... i was addressing the unbelievably absurd and unsupported assertion that a degree from UM looks a "**** of a lot better" on a job applicant's resume. if you agree with that statement, pls enlighten us w/ some data to show that a resume w/ a UM degree blows an FSU resume out of the water.

I stand by my statement that the school name -- when you get past the heavy hitters, including the Ivy leage, among others -- standing alone, means little, if anything. What matters is how you performed relative to other studens, in combination with your work history, and extracurricular activities. As i said, in some respects there could be an advantage to the big state schools, just because so many more of their alumni are out there populating human resource departments.

Last edited:
+1

Amazing stuff.

Are you aware that when comparing two schools academically, you should compare just them two and not other schools.

No one is saying UM is Harvard, no one is comparing UM to Stanford but it is a PRIVATE SCHOOL and is really good and better than FSU. Miami is better than Tulane and UF too but that is irrelevant because the argument is Miami v. FSU.

So when discussing academics between Miami (PRIVATE) and FSU (STATE), lets please stick to academics between the two schools.

When you graduated from High School is also insanely irrelevant because we're comparing them today and not some random date when you graduated.

Repeating yourself, does not make your argument any less nonresponsive. If you want to start a post comparing academics, go for it. We are responding to Jruiz's post about what is on the graduate's "resume." But carry on.

and the ultimate irony is you repeat this "insane" descriptor, when you are the dip**** throwing out the strawman.

Advertisement
His dad posts updates on Whorechant

I know some on here seem to be confident regarding martinez, but is this not the same kid that was heavily leaning towards FSU a little while back? Or am I confusing him with someone else?

This post is insanely stupid. We're comparing academics, then lets JUST COMPARE ACADEMICS.

No one is comparing Miami to the Ivy League, but how about we compare PRIVATE SCHOOL versus PUBLIC SCHOOL? Miami academics and FSU academics are really different and it has nothing to do with rankings according to USNews. Class size, program strength, private v. public, name brand recognition and academic prestige all favor Miami.

UM might not have the reputation of Duke but people know it is a good private school, does anyone have anything nice to say about FSU? It is a FSU academics we're comparing Miami too, not the IVY Leagues.

"Insanely stupid." Let's take this step-by-step, since apparently you can't read. I responded to this post: "If for whatever reason football doesn't fall through, a degree from Miami looks a **** of a lot better on a job resume." You conveniently failed to include that statement in your reactionary strawman post, that also contained a couple unsupported bull**** rah rah assumptions.

I was not "comparing academics," the strawman argument you pulled out of your ***. I certainly was not comaring UM or FSU to the Ivy League, Stanford, etc... i was addressing the unbelievably absurd and unsupported assertion that a degree from UM looks a "**** of a lot better" on a job applicant's resume. but if you agree with that statement, pls enlighten us w/ some data to show that a resume w/ a UM degree blows an FSU resume out of the water.

I stand by my statement that the school name itself -- when you get past the heavy hitters, including the Ivy leage, among others -- the school name, standing alone, means little, if anything. What matters is how you performed relative to other studens, in combination with your work history, and extracurricular activities. As i said, in some respects there could be an advantage to the big state schools, just because so many more of their alumni are out there populating human resource departments.

I take back the insanely stupid, just confused on FSU v. Miami academics. But you brought up irrelevancy and other off-topic BS. Strawman, seriously? You brought up Stanford comparison and opening doors because of the vast FSU network (Hey Burt Reynolds, can I get a job). Why don't we just stick to the topic of ACADEMICS here? Please.

The fact that you need to debate Miami v. FSU is sad. I don't think FSU alumni would argue this, it is pretty much well known that Miami is very good academic school, private and the best undergrad university in the state of Florida. Please tell us the greatness that is FSU academics.

The argument of Miami versus other schools has merit but it is not the point, the point is FSU v. Miami. Also if you want to sell FSU's alumni network, you better provide some data. I am only pointing out UM v. FSU academics.

Last edited:
+1

Amazing stuff.

Repeating yourself, does not make your argument any less nonresponsive. If you want to start a post comparing academics, go for it. We are responding to Jruiz's post about what is on the graduate's "resume." But carry on.

and the ultimate irony is you repeat this "insane" descriptor, when you are the dip**** throwing out the strawman.

Since you are the expert on the vast alumni network that is Miami v. FSU, why don't you enlighten us why FSU is better?

Jesus, never did I expect to log onto a Canes site and read about how FSU is academically comparable to Miami. I started to write a long post about it, but it's just not even worth it. Miami attracts higher achieving high school students, arms them with smaller class sizes, a solid career center, and quality faculty and sends them into the real world with an alumni base that's spread throughout the country.

You can achieve at either school, but you're far more likely to at Miami. End of story.

Advertisement
Back