OG Corey Martinez update

D

deleted3746

-Football is important, but academics are more important
-Wants a school that is the best fit
-Wants a school that will benefit him the most in the long run if football doesnt last long
-Staying close to home is important, but he isnt ruling out LSU, Alabama, UGAy, Tennessee, or other OOS schools
-All his family is in FL so staying in-state would be nice
-He would like to play early, buy it wouldnt be a huge deal if he had to work and earn PT
-Will be releasing a list of finalists sometime this week
-Stays in contact with Kehoe who watched his practice a few weeks ago
-Barrow was at his spring game
-Says Miami is after him hard and doing everything to build a strong relationship
-Has visited Miami twice and says Miami has been consistent with him
-Says he never loses touch with Miami and some schools arent as good with that as Miami
-Says Miami has took the time to establish a connection while others havent done it as much
-His parents and coaches are helping choose the best fit for him football wise, and academics wise
-Does not personally know Reilly Gibbons
-FSUcks, Miami, Alabama, USF, UGAy, Tennessee, and Vanderbilt are the rumored finalists

http://miami.247sports.com/Article/OL-Corey-Martinez-Discusses-Priorities-132331

Advertisement
Sounds like Miami has a good connection with him.

So if he commits it going to be a great wall being built in Coral Gables. Is this our last commit to the OL or do we take another, eg Wynn?

Advertisement
If it weren't for his dad who's been said to be a major fsu fan I'd think we get him...wasn't there a picture here of his mom in UM gear one time though?

If it weren't for his dad who's been said to be a major fsu fan I'd think we get him...wasn't there a picture here of his mom in UM gear one time though?

I don't know exactly why, but I think he will end up at fsu will us finishing 2nd or 3rd for his services. I hope I'm wrong though.

Seems his dad is for FSU and his mom is for UM which seems crazy for that household but I think this will be a close race that will depend on the summer visits and who stands out more

Advertisement
Depends what is more important, at Miami he'll have the academics but not the playing time while at FSU he'll get playing time but not academics...

Advertisement
i hate when kids say "academics are more important" but have FSU as a finalist

The typical student will learn about the same amount at FSU as he would at UM.

If for whatever reason football doesn't fall through, a degree from Miami looks a **** of a lot better on a job resume

People need to pull back on some of these overhyped assumptions. yes, UM over the last decade has made huge strides in it's academic ranking. Now it's right around the 50 mark. That's commendable, but let's not get carried away. It's not like UM has the national reputation of schools that open doors based on the name alone -- ie Ivy League, Stanford, Cal Tech, Military Academies, Duke, etc........

What is FSU? around 100? that difference is essentially negligible on a "job resume." The vast majority of prospective employers are not just going to write off the FSU candidate, bc of the school. They're going to look at the kid's major, grades, job experience, and extracurricular activities. in some respects, the lesser-ranked state school might open more doors, just because they have more graduates out there doing the hiring, and might have a bias towards students from their own school.

If for whatever reason football doesn't fall through, a degree from Miami looks a **** of a lot better on a job resume

You may be right, but I was interpreting the word "academics" to mean something akin to "amount one might reasonably expect to learn."

From talking to one of his coaches I think he will more than likely end up at fsu.. we are I it but he grew up an fsu fan and seems to really like tricket so tifwiw

Advertisement

A has nothing to do with B. If academics are important one would think they would go to the best school available.

Sure you can learn the same things at school A and school B but academic prestige/ranking would weigh into my decision.

People need to pull back on some of these overhyped assumptions. yes, UM over the last decade has made huge strides in it's academic ranking. Now it's right around the 50 mark. That's commendable, but let's not get carried away. It's not like UM has the national reputation of schools that open doors based on the name alone -- ie Ivy League, Stanford, Cal Tech, Military Academies, Duke, etc........

What is FSU? around 100? that difference is essentially negligible on a "job resume." The vast majority of prospective employers are not just going to write off the FSU candidate, bc of the school. They're going to look at the kid's major, grades, job experience, and extracurricular activities. in some respects, the lesser-ranked state school might open more doors, just because they have more graduates out there doing the hiring, and might have a bias towards students from their own school.

This post is insanely stupid. We're comparing academics, then lets JUST COMPARE ACADEMICS.

No one is comparing Miami to the Ivy League, but how about we compare PRIVATE SCHOOL versus PUBLIC SCHOOL? Miami academics and FSU academics are really different and it has nothing to do with rankings according to USNews. Class size, program strength, private v. public, name brand recognition and academic prestige all favor Miami.

UM might not have the reputation of Duke but people know it is a good private school, does anyone have anything nice to say about FSU? It is a FSU academics we're comparing Miami too, not the IVY Leagues.

Advertisement
Back