Offseason wish: learn more about the O-Staff's dynamics

No coach is above criticism. Some coaches have earned a bit of leeway though. I'm willing to give Richt the benefit of the doubt. At least for now.

Seeing as how Miami has won national championships with the likes of Dennis Erickson and Larry Coker as head coaches, Mark Richt doesn't have to be the second coming of Newt Rockne to win here. He just has to be willing to learn from mistakes be willing to alter his schemes and keep recruiting at a high level.

Advertisement
Interesting thread. Obviously I have nothing concrete to add but the responses here aren't surprising. Mark Walton is gonna be beast next year according to this board, yet during the season I was one of a handful of people not obliterating him on a daily basis.

The emotional speculation and mood swings are exhausting around here, but it goes with the territory.

I think we should know about "body of work" by now but if it doesn't fit an agenda, it's tossed out pretty quick.

We will see. I can't wait actually.

I always thought Walton's problems were largely about the OL.
I don't want this to be a Walton thread but the kid hasn't changed in an offseason. People suddenly putting crazy expectations on him are going to be crushing him the first time he misses a hole in the line.

Same as Rumph, same as Dugans. They were **** on relentlessly until more time passed. I have no idea about Jon Richt, but neither do the majority of people trashing him.

What we do know now is Mark Richt coached that 4 game stretch horribly. He faced resistance from decent teams and couldn't figure it out. That's gotta change, I don't care what names are involved.

No he didnt Kaaya was horrible as a qb simple as that. Lol you all keep talking about this 4 game stretch like we played ranked team every week?? Aside from the FSU game the rest of the team's were no better than the remaining 5 team's we beat after.... So why are you all still bringing up the losses??
Its a dicussion thread about our offense dumb****.

Jon Richt doesn't need to be one on our 9 (soon to be 10) assistant coaches

He can be an analyst. We need an OC, or at least a passing game coordinator

You don't know anything about Jon Richts abilities or job duties yet you take such a hard line.

I like Trump but don't want his daughter and son in law at White House. Don't know crap about their abilities or duties either. Hire your kid and you have the burden to PROVE they deserve it.

Yeah I don't think Richts worried about proving anything to you. He chose the staff he wants to work with

I hope he doesn't worry about proving anything to me. He needs to an alpha. I stood next to that kid on Greenfield many a day. Nice guy. Howard was a gentleman but I would not call him nice. JJ was an ***. Dennis won with Butch recruits like Larry. Both were nice guys. I would hope Mark would tell me to drop dead but he would never do that. Therein lies the problem. Can a nice guy win here with his own recruits? I hope so.

I wouldn't get too caught up in a coach's personality. Some guys want screamers and think that more passionate coaching equals good coaching. I can assure you that's not always the case. I have a friend who worked for the athletic department under Shannon and Golden. Randy was an unusually uptight person who rarely said anything to anyone besides assistant coaches and players. Golden was a **** to pretty much everybody when the cameras weren't on him. The biggest A-hole on either staff was D'Onofrio who spent a majority of practice time screaming at everyone.

I wouldn't get too caught up in a coach's personality. Some guys want screamers and think that more passionate coaching equals good coaching. I can assure you that's not always the case. I have a friend who worked for the athletic department under Shannon and Golden. Randy was an unusually uptight person who rarely said anything to anyone besides assistant coaches and players. Golden was a **** to pretty much everybody when the cameras weren't on him. The biggest A-hole on either staff was D'Onofrio who spent a majority of practice time screaming at everyone.

But Muschamp screamed all day and he was a great coach!

Advertisement

You don't know anything about Jon Richts abilities or job duties yet you take such a hard line.

I like Trump but don't want his daughter and son in law at White House. Don't know crap about their abilities or duties either. Hire your kid and you have the burden to PROVE they deserve it.

Yeah I don't think Richts worried about proving anything to you. He chose the staff he wants to work with

I hope he doesn't worry about proving anything to me. He needs to an alpha. I stood next to that kid on Greenfield many a day. Nice guy. Howard was a gentleman but I would not call him nice. JJ was an ***. Dennis won with Butch recruits like Larry. Both were nice guys. I would hope Mark would tell me to drop dead but he would never do that. Therein lies the problem. Can a nice guy win here with his own recruits? I hope so.

That's the interesting thing about Mark (kinda getting off topic, but that's fine). I was around him some when he was at UGA. I worked for the company that was building their new athletic facility/weight room/offices back in 2010. He absolutely has control and folks respect him. When he started talking, players shut the **** up and listened. He is very kind and morally good, but he's also very strict and detailed about what he expects from his program.

Don't mistake his outward kindness for weakness. He doesn't let anything slide and will abruptly correct it on the spot. He's in charge and everyone knows it.

I thought Dennis was b4 Butch, but what do i know

I thought Dennis was b4 Butch, but what do i know[/QUO

He was, not sure what this Dude was saying.

You guys must have not been here during the coaching search. According to these dudes Jimmy and Dennis only succeeded because of Butch's recruiting. I've seen them go as far as give credit to Butch for 4 of our championships

Advertisement
Not so sure about these trust issues. I trust Rick to win 9 or 10 games **** near every year. He's got a very long track record of doing that. That's what I "trust" him to do.

You have to transition from trust to faith in order to talk with any kind of certainty about Rick playing for conference championships regularly, winning them semi-regularly, and being in the NC hunt as often as this program should be when it's firing on all cylinders.

He's a definite improvement over the last few bums, but a Ritz Craaker is a huge improvement over a distended belly and flies circling you looking at their tiny fly watches tapping their microscopic fly fingers on the table waiting for you to die from imminent starvation.

Exactly this. He won 2 conference championships over the span of 13 years. His last conference championship was in 2005, when the SEC was a shell of what it is now. No Meyer, no Saban. No championships or even appearances.

I'm not saying this to bash the guy. I think we're on the right track as a program and I think Richt can be very successful here, but what I am saying is that he isn't some legendary coach who's above scrutiny and criticism.

I didnt expect much more than that at Georgia.

You speak as if he was coaching at USC... Georgia will never be anything more than above average. No matter how much "talent" comes from Georgia they aint winning shid.

You judge Richt by the expectations HE CREATED at Georgia.

Nah. We're judging Rick by the talent he signed at UGA versus the results he achieved. **** *** Missouri won that division twice while Rick, with far more talent, didn't. He struggled to win a bad division in the SEC and couldn't even beat a UF team with no QB.

Some of us are happy he's here and excited about the future. But we are still cognizant of the fact that he's got a long track record at UGA upon which we can form some thoughts.

Football is a mental sport. You need savages. Just talent won'twork. The mental make up of Florida players is just far tougher than Georgia, imo.
Thats why championship teams always have a florida presence

You guys must have not been here during the coaching search. According to these dudes Jimmy and Dennis only succeeded because of Butch's recruiting. I've seen them go as far as give credit to Butch for 4 of our championships

I confess, that would be me. Butch was JJ's recruiting dude and they left all that talent that Dennis used very well. Perhaps I cheat JJ out of some credit, after all they left Dennis with two NC QBs whereas Butch without JJ left only one for Larry, but still. The facts are the facts though, Butch's recruits are the common denominator to 4 of 5 of are NC's. I wasn't in love with Butch as game day coach, but nobody in modern college football can touch his recruiting at Miami. The combination of Butch and The U was magic. Unfortunately we will never see it again.

Let me be clear, Mark is our man now. He is family from the foundation of the glory years. I know and like him personally and completely support him. The point I was originally making is that at Miami, a coach will never get 10 or 15 years without wining several NCs and playing for others. St Bobby would have never lasted long enough to win his first. Joe Pa would have been fired 20 or thirty years earlier than he was. Of course those coaches might have been Saban at The U but that proves the point. First really good coach we ever had was Howard and bam, we start taking over college football. JJ was a great coach but still in training when he continued the hostile takeover of college football. Dennis won two but was he really safe when he took off, or would another disappointing year or two been his end(of course the scandal would have ended him anyway).

We rose to the ranks of ND and Bama. The price of that is that failure is not acceptable. Winning at Miami makes your King. Lose here and you are done. I believe Mark will get it done, but he needs less St Bobby and more Howard to do it. Maybe he should take up smoking a pipe. With tobacco for those to young to remember that pipe were used for that at one time.

Not so sure about these trust issues. I trust Rick to win 9 or 10 games **** near every year. He's got a very long track record of doing that. That's what I "trust" him to do.

You have to transition from trust to faith in order to talk with any kind of certainty about Rick playing for conference championships regularly, winning them semi-regularly, and being in the NC hunt as often as this program should be when it's firing on all cylinders.

He's a definite improvement over the last few bums, but a Ritz Craaker is a huge improvement over a distended belly and flies circling you looking at their tiny fly watches tapping their microscopic fly fingers on the table waiting for you to die from imminent starvation.

Exactly this. He won 2 conference championships over the span of 13 years. His last conference championship was in 2005, when the SEC was a shell of what it is now. No Meyer, no Saban. No championships or even appearances.

I'm not saying this to bash the guy. I think we're on the right track as a program and I think Richt can be very successful here, but what I am saying is that he isn't some legendary coach who's above scrutiny and criticism.

You speak as if he was coaching at USC... Georgia will never be anything more than above average. No matter how much "talent" comes from Georgia they aint winning shid.

I didn't either. He coached up an Offensive Flying Circus at FSU, and while some expected the same to start at Georgia - it never happened. Different football, different conference, different local talent.

The Florida speedsters just weren't there at Georgia.

Younger men always have in the back of their mind - "there's next year." They get involved in raising a family etc., and one day they realize - time's just about up. If I'm going to do this, I have one more burst in me.

I firmly believe both Richt and Butch had a "come to Jesus" moment - and they both burned to get back to UM to hit the top ONE MORE TIME. I think both would gather a top crew for that purpose, and put everything they've learned and figured out over the years to get to the top - they've done it before - just not with consistency.

Now, without distractions characteristic of younger men, they both could have jumped in nuts deep.

Richt wanted to call plays. He wasn't exactly up to it - especially last year - with his QB and Oline -

Hopefully, he's ready this season, and our QB while lacking experience - will not have had the **** beat out of them play after play.

I didn't either. He coached up an Offensive Flying Circus at FSU, and while some expected the same to start at Georgia - it never happened. Different football, different conference, different local talent.

The Florida speedsters just weren't there at Georgia.

Younger men always have in the back of their mind - "there's next year." They get involved in raising a family etc., and one day they realize - time's just about up. If I'm going to do this, I have one more burst in me.

I firmly believe both Richt and Butch had a "come to Jesus" moment - and they both burned to get back to UM to hit the top ONE MORE TIME. I think both would gather a top crew for that purpose, and put everything they've learned and figured out over the years to get to the top - they've done it before - just not with consistency.

Now, without distractions characteristic of younger men, they both could have jumped in nuts deep.

Richt wanted to call plays. He wasn't exactly up to it - especially last year - with his QB and Oline -

Hopefully, he's ready this season, and our QB while lacking experience - will not have had the **** beat out of them play after play.

My point exactly. All talent isn't created equal. Whenever Richt got that talent they were **** close to championships. Georgia's talent isn't as good as yall are making it out to be and Georgia's expectations, recruiting or winning, were created by Mark Richt.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back