Offseason wish: learn more about the O-Staff's dynamics

Interesting thread. Obviously I have nothing concrete to add but the responses here aren't surprising. Mark Walton is gonna be beast next year according to this board, yet during the season I was one of a handful of people not obliterating him on a daily basis.

The emotional speculation and mood swings are exhausting around here, but it goes with the territory.

I think we should know about "body of work" by now but if it doesn't fit an agenda, it's tossed out pretty quick.

We will see. I can't wait actually.

I always thought Walton's problems were largely about the OL.

Advertisement
What I wanna know, is how much autonomy does the QB have in a Richt offense?

Case in point, first offensive play in the FSU game...Safety walks down, LB shows blitz off the edge & blitzes, and we run a naked bootleg into the teeth of a blitz anyway, & Kaaya gets hurt.

No way in **** Kaaya didn't see that...that pre-snap read was easy peasy...did Kaaya not have the autonomy to make an audible?

Interesting thread. Obviously I have nothing concrete to add but the responses here aren't surprising. Mark Walton is gonna be beast next year according to this board, yet during the season I was one of a handful of people not obliterating him on a daily basis.

The emotional speculation and mood swings are exhausting around here, but it goes with the territory.

I think we should know about "body of work" by now but if it doesn't fit an agenda, it's tossed out pretty quick.

I don't want this to be a Walton thread but the kid hasn't changed in an offseason. People suddenly putting crazy expectations on him are going to be crushing him the first time he misses a hole in the line.

Same as Rumph, same as Dugans. They were **** on relentlessly until more time passed. I have no idea about Jon Richt, but neither do the majority of people trashing him.

What we do know now is Mark Richt coached that 4 game stretch horribly. He faced resistance from decent teams and couldn't figure it out. That's gotta change, I don't care what names are involved.

I don't want this to be a Walton thread but the kid hasn't changed in an offseason. People suddenly putting crazy expectations on him are going to be crushing him the first time he misses a hole in the line.

Same as Rumph, same as Dugans. They were **** on relentlessly until more time passed. I have no idea about Jon Richt, but neither do the majority of people trashing him.

What we do know now is Mark Richt coached that 4 game stretch horribly. He faced resistance from decent teams and couldn't figure it out. That's gotta change, I don't care what names are involved.

No he didnt Kaaya was horrible as a qb simple as that. Lol you all keep talking about this 4 game stretch like we played ranked team every week?? Aside from the FSU game the rest of the team's were no better than the remaining 5 team's we beat after.... So why are you all still bringing up the losses??

Last edited:

Agree with all that. This is a place of extremes- coaches/players are either the best or the worst, and sometime both on the same day.

I'm wondering what the deal was with Richt last season. Did he finally figure it out, did his planning just match up better with the last 5 teams we faced, did he fix the mistakes he was making? Has he gotten a handle on his personal such that he'll be more able to make adjustments in-game as opposed to over the course of several games? Looking forward to seeing what the story of the 2017 season will be.

Advertisement

No he didnt Kaaya was horrible as a qb simple as that. Lol you all keep talking about this 4 game stretch like we played ranked team every week?? Aside from the FSU game the rest of the team's were no better than the remaining 5 team's we beat after.... So why are you all still bringing up the losses??

That's the point, we should have beaten those teams as they weren't better than us.

As for Kaaya, did you not see the OL during those games (that first hit in the fsu game came so quick that I don't think most mobile QBs would have avoided it...that one wasn't about Kaaya's ability, it was about what the OL gave him)? Did it escape your notice that Richt appeared to ignore what Kaaya could and couldn't do? Not absolving Kaaya, but to put it all on him is ridiculous.

No grey beard technicians on that offensive staff aside from Rick. Lots of young guys with no real identity or lineage in their background. You don't have anyone in the important technical or shot-calling spots with any great lineage.

It'd be nice to use that 10th spot on a guy with an impressive lineage under some great offensive minds and for that guy to be given an important role in installing the offense and making adjustments on gameday.

I guess it depends on Searels impact on the offense overall.

He would count as a grey beard tho.

He's not a "technician" in the sense that I meant. He might be an OK OL coach, but he's never been a playcaller or a guy involved in designing game plans or making in game adjustments.

Jon Richt doesn't need to be one on our 9 (soon to be 10) assistant coaches

He can be an analyst. We need an OC, or at least a passing game coordinator

You don't know anything about Jon Richts abilities or job duties yet you take such a hard line.

I like Trump but don't want his daughter and son in law at White House. Don't know crap about their abilities or duties either. Hire your kid and you have the burden to PROVE they deserve it.

Don't know if those closer to the team or a journalist would be willing to take on this in-depth look, but I wish we'd hear more about how the offensive staff is constructed, their roles and their overall mission.

What's Jon Richt's role as QB coach? Is it technical in nature, gameplanning or both?
What's the day-to-day like for Thomas Brown? How much input does he have into playcalling?
Does Searels stick to his unit or chip in to overall strategy?
What are Dugans' strengths and where does he seek to improve?
How much does Hartley work with Dugans?
Who helps with gameplanning?
Who are Mark Richt's eyes in the booth on gameday?
Richt is clearly the leader for the offense and we have a glimpse of his philosophies based on prior stints and last year, but what are the philosophical tendencies of some of the other guys?

If some of you just have opinions and want to kickoff a discussion about this topic, would be helpful to learn.

Great questions Lu. Dammed if I know the answers. Hope that helps.

Advertisement
Folden really ****ed yall up, like permanent psychological damage.
If you don't mind, care to expand? Not sure what you mean exactly. I think the vast majority agree Richt is a severe upgrade from Golden and mostly trust him. We've already seen progress on multiple fronts. Think it's also fair to discuss his offensive staff (and defensive, but we've done that already).
That's just it Lu, a lot of people don't trust him, hence the constant questioning of his Coaching hires & playcalling.

You're obviously measured & reasonable, but you're not the representitive for the ones I'm talking about, they aren't doing the same thing that you are.

I think the trust issues extend further than Golden, it goes back to Coker and Shannon as well. We see progress and a program that has a different feel with the way it's being operated but many on these boards are just waiting for the other shoe to drop and bam we are stuck in mediocrity for even longer.

People been shancockerized, and then mizzled by Golden and all of his lies and excuses and they have trust issues.

Folden really ****ed yall up, like permanent psychological damage.
If you don't mind, care to expand? Not sure what you mean exactly. I think the vast majority agree Richt is a severe upgrade from Golden and mostly trust him. We've already seen progress on multiple fronts. Think it's also fair to discuss his offensive staff (and defensive, but we've done that already).
That's just it Lu, a lot of people don't trust him, hence the constant questioning of his Coaching hires & playcalling.

You're obviously measured & reasonable, but you're not the representitive for the ones I'm talking about, they aren't doing the same thing that you are.

I think the trust issues extend further than Golden, it goes back to Coker and Shannon as well. We see progress and a program that has a different feel with the way it's being operated but many on these boards are just waiting for the other shoe to drop and bam we are stuck in mediocrity for even longer.

People been shancockerized, and then mizzled by Golden and all of his lies and excuses and they have trust issues.

Well said!! And now that there's a winning coach in place, and a seemingly good supporting cast (assistants),..they should be afforded at least some chance to prove they're Miami caliber coaches. With that said, we looked quite a bit more improved in his first year,.. Maybe we can be patient and see what happens in year 2 before we go assuming changes should be made already!! But that's just my opinion!

Not so sure about these trust issues. I trust Rick to win 9 or 10 games **** near every year. He's got a very long track record of doing that. That's what I "trust" him to do.

You have to transition from trust to faith in order to talk with any kind of certainty about Rick playing for conference championships regularly, winning them semi-regularly, and being in the NC hunt as often as this program should be when it's firing on all cylinders.

He's a definite improvement over the last few bums, but a Ritz Craaker is a huge improvement over a distended belly and flies circling you looking at their tiny fly watches tapping their microscopic fly fingers on the table waiting for you to die from imminent starvation.

No grey beard technicians on that offensive staff aside from Rick. Lots of young guys with no real identity or lineage in their background. You don't have anyone in the important technical or shot-calling spots with any great lineage.

It'd be nice to use that 10th spot on a guy with an impressive lineage under some great offensive minds and for that guy to be given an important role in installing the offense and making adjustments on gameday.

He's not a "technician" in the sense that I meant. He might be an OK OL coach, but he's never been a playcaller or a guy involved in designing game plans or making in game adjustments.

we have Coach Richt for that... go cheer for Bill Snyder he's as old as you

Advertisement
Jon Richt doesn't need to be one on our 9 (soon to be 10) assistant coaches

He can be an analyst. We need an OC, or at least a passing game coordinator

You don't know anything about Jon Richts abilities or job duties yet you take such a hard line.

I like Trump but don't want his daughter and son in law at White House. Don't know crap about their abilities or duties either. Hire your kid and you have the burden to PROVE they deserve it.

Yeah I don't think Richts worried about proving anything to you. He chose the staff he wants to work with

I have disagree on this part. I would say the majority of OL coaches at that level are heavily involved in the run game. Adjustments up front come from the OL coach not the coordinator.

I have disagree on this part. I would say the majority of OL coaches at that level are heavily involved in the run game. Adjustments up front come from the OL coach not the coordinator.

lol @ "he's not a technician" [MENTION=4841]The Franchise[/MENTION]

obvious a lot of ppl just poRsting full ****** with their eyes closed smh

Advertisement
Don't know if those closer to the team or a journalist would be willing to take on this in-depth look, but I wish we'd hear more about how the offensive staff is constructed, their roles and their overall mission.

What's Jon Richt's role as QB coach? Is it technical in nature, gameplanning or both?
What's the day-to-day like for Thomas Brown? How much input does he have into playcalling?
Does Searels stick to his unit or chip in to overall strategy?
What are Dugans' strengths and where does he seek to improve?
How much does Hartley work with Dugans?
Who helps with gameplanning?
Who are Mark Richt's eyes in the booth on gameday?
Richt is clearly the leader for the offense and we have a glimpse of his philosophies based on prior stints and last year, but what are the philosophical tendencies of some of the other guys?

If some of you just have opinions and want to kickoff a discussion about this topic, would be helpful to learn.

Great questions Lu. Dammed if I know the answers. Hope that helps.

I think it does

Not so sure about these trust issues. I trust Rick to win 9 or 10 games **** near every year. He's got a very long track record of doing that. That's what I "trust" him to do.

You have to transition from trust to faith in order to talk with any kind of certainty about Rick playing for conference championships regularly, winning them semi-regularly, and being in the NC hunt as often as this program should be when it's firing on all cylinders.

He's a definite improvement over the last few bums, but a Ritz Craaker is a huge improvement over a distended belly and flies circling you looking at their tiny fly watches tapping their microscopic fly fingers on the table waiting for you to die from imminent starvation.

Exactly this. He won 2 conference championships over the span of 13 years. His last conference championship was in 2005, when the SEC was a shell of what it is now. No Meyer, no Saban. No championships or even appearances.

I'm not saying this to bash the guy. I think we're on the right track as a program and I think Richt can be very successful here, but what I am saying is that he isn't some legendary coach who's above scrutiny and criticism.

Exactly this. He won 2 conference championships over the span of 13 years. His last conference championship was in 2005, when the SEC was a shell of what it is now. No Meyer, no Saban. No championships or even appearances.

I'm not saying this to bash the guy. I think we're on the right track as a program and I think Richt can be very successful here, but what I am saying is that he isn't some legendary coach who's above scrutiny and criticism.

I didnt expect much more than that at Georgia.

You speak as if he was coaching at USC... Georgia will never be anything more than above average. No matter how much "talent" comes from Georgia they aint winning shid.

You judge Richt by the expectations HE CREATED at Georgia.

I didnt expect much more than that at Georgia.

You speak as if he was coaching at USC... Georgia will never be anything more than above average. No matter how much "talent" comes from Georgia they aint winning shid.

You judge Richt by the expectations HE CREATED at Georgia.

Nah. We're judging Rick by the talent he signed at UGA versus the results he achieved. **** *** Missouri won that division twice while Rick, with far more talent, didn't. He struggled to win a bad division in the SEC and couldn't even beat a UF team with no QB.

Some of us are happy he's here and excited about the future. But we are still cognizant of the fact that he's got a long track record at UGA upon which we can form some thoughts.

Advertisement
Back