Offseason wish: learn more about the O-Staff's dynamics

Advertisement
Not directed at you Lu; but I dont get why some of you guys are so shocked by nepotism. I feel like every winning coach has a son, nephew, cousin, brother, etc on the team they coach.

I would be way worried if a loser like Al Golden or Randy Shannon had family in an important role. Proven coaches family should get the benefit of the doubt , imo. They have been around one of the best to do it their entire life. I trust that until definitively proven otherwise. I'm sure Richt is getting a good value out of his sons abilities. There is no reason for Richt to risk his job to give his son a cushy salary.

I could see Richt lowballing his son on salary to pay the other coaches more while he grooms him for future success. I doubt Jon would complain; Especially when he gets to build his Resume and hone his craft.

I'm sure Richt knows exactly what he needs to run a successful offense. It isn't like Richt has shown an inability to change or try something different. He did that in almost every game.

With that said, i would still like to know the specific roles and responsibilities of each coach in relation to the offensive game plan from week to week, just like Lu.

That way i can know whose leaving us for another Job or not!!!
I know you said it wasn't directed at me. But, to keep the convo moving, I'm not shocked by nepotism. I actually don't really care if Richt's entire offensive staff were comprised of family members so long as the production was on par with the potential.

This thread isn't really at all about Jon specifically. I think the offensive staff's dynamic is a lot less clear than the defense's. I also think the offense struggled for much less clear reasons (some will say it's solely on Kaaya) last season. So, since the offseason is slow anyway, thought attempting a discussion on offensive staff would be valuable.

I've read and heard some people complain about the youth movement in our offensive staff. I think that's mostly nonsense. There are some tremendously talented young guys in technical positions all over the country. The question is moreso: are our guys, including Searels, talented and, if so, let's learn about them and what they do.

If they stay together, I think there's a chance our defensive staff achieves greatness. Hoping the same for offense.

Folden really ****ed yall up, like permanent psychological damage.
If you don't mind, care to expand? Not sure what you mean exactly. I think the vast majority agree Richt is a severe upgrade from Golden and mostly trust him. We've already seen progress on multiple fronts. Think it's also fair to discuss his offensive staff (and defensive, but we've done that already).

If you don't mind, care to expand? Not sure what you mean exactly. I think the vast majority agree Richt is a severe upgrade from Golden and mostly trust him. We've already seen progress on multiple fronts. Think it's also fair to discuss his offensive staff (and defensive, but we've done that already).
That's just it Lu, a lot of people don't trust him, hence the constant questioning of his Coaching hires & playcalling.

You're obviously measured & reasonable, but you're not the representitive for the ones I'm talking about, they aren't doing the same thing that you are.

Last edited:
Advertisement

There's a lot of burn in the fanbase from the last couple of coaches. Lots of people supported them at first only to get hurt in the long run. Unfortunately, now it's almost a race for some "fans" to jump off a coach's bandwagon. Nobody wants to get labeled a "slurper" if Richt doesn't work out, so they immediately bash anything they can. There are "fans" literally waiting for the first loss of next season so they can gloat online about how they didn't think Richt was the right guy for the job from the beginning.

Not directed at you Lu; but I dont get why some of you guys are so shocked by nepotism. I feel like every winning coach has a son, nephew, cousin, brother, etc on the team they coach.

I would be way worried if a loser like Al Golden or Randy Shannon had family in an important role. Proven coaches family should get the benefit of the doubt , imo. They have been around one of the best to do it their entire life. I trust that until definitively proven otherwise. I'm sure Richt is getting a good value out of his sons abilities. There is no reason for Richt to risk his job to give his son a cushy salary.

I could see Richt lowballing his son on salary to pay the other coaches more while he grooms him for future success. I doubt Jon would complain; Especially when he gets to build his Resume and hone his craft.

I'm sure Richt knows exactly what he needs to run a successful offense. It isn't like Richt has shown an inability to change or try something different. He did that in almost every game.

With that said, i would still like to know the specific roles and responsibilities of each coach in relation to the offensive game plan from week to week, just like Lu.

That way i can know whose leaving us for another Job or not!!!
I know you said it wasn't directed at me. But, to keep the convo moving, I'm not shocked by nepotism. I actually don't really care if Richt's entire offensive staff were comprised of family members so long as the production was on par with the potential.

This thread isn't really at all about Jon specifically. I think the offensive staff's dynamic is a lot less clear than the defense's. I also think the offense struggled for much less clear reasons (some will say it's solely on Kaaya) last season. So, since the offseason is slow anyway, thought attempting a discussion on offensive staff would be valuable.

I've read and heard some people complain about the youth movement in our offensive staff. I think that's mostly nonsense. There are some tremendously talented young guys in technical positions all over the country. The question is moreso: are our guys, including Searels, talented and, if so, let's learn about them and what they do.

If they stay together, I think there's a chance our defensive staff achieves greatness. Hoping the same for offense.

Im not the biggest fan of Kaaya but I cant put it all on Him. I think the blame should be split between Richt, Kaaya, and Searels.

Richt for his inability to recognize the talents/weaknesses of his personnel. I know you wrote about some of his bizarre matchups and schemes in some games last year, FSu specifically. I think that had mostly to do with still learning the players.

Its one thing to know what a player can do physically but it takes time to learn what they can do mentally. Some guys just play better while fatigued and in clutch moments. I think it took Richt awhile to recognize who our players were and where to put them.

Same with Searels, took him too long to recognize his best group.

Should they be given the benefit of the doubt for the first year? I say yes. But a short leash tho.

I agree with you on the youth movement. There are some good young minds coming up through the ranks. There should always be an opportunity for someone to show their worth. You cant find the next best thing if you keep promoting the same ol thing.

Mike Mularkey(Tennessee Titans) does great at letting the fans know what the gameplan war room looks like.
IT would be great if we knew who to praise for what and who to blame for what.

It would make our debates have much more meaning.

Jon Richt doesn't need to be one on our 9 (soon to be 10) assistant coaches

He can be an analyst. We need an OC, or at least a passing game coordinator

You don't know anything about Jon Richts abilities or job duties yet you take such a hard line.

He literally does nothing that Richt doesn't directly manage. Jon offers nothing.

Managing, and doing are 2 different animals!! That's why managers manage,.. And others do!! So you essentially said Jon does work, and mark manages,.. Sounds quite logical to me!!

That's just it Lu, a lot of people don't trust him, hence the constant questioning of his Coaching hires & playcalling.

You're obviously measured & reasonable, but you're not the representitive for the ones I'm talking about, they aren't doing the same thing that you are.
Fair enough. Extremism is really just that. Especially when there isn't enough evidence to support it. Just becomes wild speculation. To [MENTION=14036]DTP[/MENTION]'s point, people want to "win" on message boards. By all means. It keeps them happy and we offer a place for exchanges/discussions.

Hope we can still critically think through anything UM Football related without this devolving into another "versus" war (e.g. "Slurpers" vs "Apologists").

Advertisement
No grey beard technicians on that offensive staff aside from Rick. Lots of young guys with no real identity or lineage in their background. You don't have anyone in the important technical or shot-calling spots with any great lineage.

It'd be nice to use that 10th spot on a guy with an impressive lineage under some great offensive minds and for that guy to be given an important role in installing the offense and making adjustments on gameday.

No grey beard technicians on that offensive staff aside from Rick. Lots of young guys with no real identity or lineage in their background. You don't have anyone in the important technical or shot-calling spots with any great lineage.

It'd be nice to use that 10th spot on a guy with an impressive lineage under some great offensive minds and for that guy to be given an important role in installing the offense and making adjustments on gameday.

I guess it depends on Searels impact on the offense overall.

He would count as a grey beard tho.

Fair enough. Extremism is really just that. Especially when there isn't enough evidence to support it. Just becomes wild speculation. To [MENTION=14036]DTP[/MENTION]'s point, people want to "win" on message boards. By all means. It keeps them happy and we offer a place for exchanges/discussions.

Hope we can still critically think through anything UM Football related without this devolving into another "versus" war (e.g. "Slurpers" vs "Apologists").

This is the best post ever. Not that anyone cares, but I stopped posting because of this very reason. I guess now I'm a LuCane slurper.

Brown is a disaster. Let's not even bother arguing it. Searels rode with the same underperforming OL until injuries dictated a change. Harley has done pretty well but I'm not sold on Polendey being at Miami. Jon Richt should be apprenticing somewhere. Not sure he's ready for a major gig like this. It all falls on CMR though. There's a lot of youth so mistakes will be made but there's a bunch of talent/speed to tinker with. Make it happen or hire someone to run the offense.

Brown a disaster? Don't know about that. How do you gauge his abilities? Well, I guess recruiting and coaching. Walton improved quite a bit last year. And now he has Lingard and Davis locked up. He doesn't handle play calling so you can't really judge him there. I think disaster is a bit much?

Advertisement
My wild speculation is Brown and Searels are the running game coordinators. Mark Richt is probably in the forefront of the passing game.

Brown is a disaster. Let's not even bother arguing it. Searels rode with the same underperforming OL until injuries dictated a change. Harley has done pretty well but I'm not sold on Polendey being at Miami. Jon Richt should be apprenticing somewhere. Not sure he's ready for a major gig like this. It all falls on CMR though. There's a lot of youth so mistakes will be made but there's a bunch of talent/speed to tinker with. Make it happen or hire someone to run the offense.

Brown a disaster? Don't know about that. How do you gauge his abilities? Well, I guess recruiting and coaching. Walton improved quite a bit last year. And now he has Lingard and Davis locked up. He doesn't handle play calling so you can't really judge him there. I think disaster is a bit much?
People just hating, brown is one of Miami's best recruiters and coaches. He knows what he is doing

Advertisement
Interesting thread. Obviously I have nothing concrete to add but the responses here aren't surprising. Mark Walton is gonna be beast next year according to this board, yet during the season I was one of a handful of people not obliterating him on a daily basis.

The emotional speculation and mood swings are exhausting around here, but it goes with the territory.

I think we should know about "body of work" by now but if it doesn't fit an agenda, it's tossed out pretty quick.

We will see. I can't wait actually.

Nah I much rather just have Richt control the show and see the results

If anyone has any specifics on the offense or dynamics they'd like to ask send me a PM and ill be happy to discuss but would like out of respect to keep things off the main page

Advertisement
Back