Official Visit Weekend #3 June 18-20th

Advertisement
Advertisement
For years I've been thinking that we aren't multiple enough. I run 6 different fronts, 7 different coverages and at least 4 different personnel groupings... and we're just a high school team. There's no reason why the University of Miami should always be lining up in the same fronts and same coverages versus every opponent.

There's many new and innovative fronts and coverages in the college football world, and I see Miami use NONE of them. We are very stubborn and stuck to certain schemes. Up front we are dead-set on being an upfield 4-front. Meanwhile I've watched our offense play against traditional 4-front defenses that used the Odd Tite front against us to stop inside zone and the zone/read. (Clemson for example)

There are teams all over the college football world that run man/zone combo coverages ("special" is one of them for example) yet at Miami we generally only run zone or man, no combos. And our zones leave areas wide open because we don't play a "match" version...so if we want tight coverage and contested throws we have no choice but to go 'man'.
(I could be wrong, I don't review all of our film, but that's what I've personally seen)

Kinda makes you wonder about that anonymous quote from a fellow ACC coach about Manny thinking he's the smartest guy in the room. Generally those type of guys are stubborn and stuck to their ways, never innovative or embracing new ideas.

I will say this though, some of the blitz schemes that we've drawn up over the years have been ****, but then we overuse them versus too many different opponents so they become predictable. But IMO we leave a lot to be desired in our coverage schemes.
Macho I’m hoping a guy like shoop or maybe even Simpson can add some flavor to this defense. What say you ?

Advertisement
The highest-ranked recruit to be in Coral Gables this weekend was Scottsdale (Ari.) Chaparral defensive lineman Anthony Lucas, who 247Sports considers the No. 6 player at his position. Coming off the visit, Miami feels as though they will be in the recruitment until the end.

Lucas comes from a Haitian family and Miami has a few Haitian staffers that were able to build a genuine connection with Lucas and his family and they believe that gives them an advantage over other staffs. Another thing Miami knows they have going for them is the fact that Lucas’s dad went to school at UM. A strong season this fall would help Miami greatly with the potential five-star and people in Coral Gables are aware of that.

- Kamren Kinchens hosted Donaldsonville (Ga.) Seminole County defensive back Nick Cull, who is being recruited as a safety/nickel type by Travaris Robinson. People at Miami are feeling good about the move that they made with him as he nears a decision, which is coming on July 12, which is his birthday. He has visited Alabama, Ole Miss, Florida and South Carolina this summer and could take another official visit next weekend, but isn’t sure about that right now.

Coming off the visit, Cull had great things to say about Manny Diaz, Robinson and strength coach David Feely.

- Mandeville (La.) wide receiver Landon Ibietais another guy Miami is feeling really good about coming off the official visit. The Hurricanes would like to add three receivers this cycle and Miami seems more open than ever to potentially adding Ibieta after getting eyes on him this weekend. Jayden Gibson and Isaiah Horton two top-of-the-board types based on their size and length, but Ibieta and commit Quan Lee are others who fit the bill. Wake Forest is scheduled to get an official visit from the wideout next weekend.

Advertisement
So Markeith Williams didn't make it in for his OV over the weekend. He will be in to start it tomorrow...

And Ferman says despite all the rumors about more commits, there are none trending for today
Interesting on Markeith Williams. So will he be on campus Monday - Wednesday for his OV? Wonder if he ended up going somewhere else this weekend or maybe just had stuff come up? Either way, this could turn out to be a blessing in disguise for us. One recruit for the whole staff to focus on for a few days... I like our chances.

Advertisement
So Markeith Williams didn't make it in for his OV over the weekend. He will be in to start it tomorrow...

And Ferman says despite all the rumors about more commits, there are none trending for today

I was wondering why he wasn’t mentioned this weekend…staff might lock him up cause he enjoyed his time on campus earlier this month. He’s going to be the only OV, plenty of love & attention he’s about to get.

Lol. I should be clear : Ferman says “as of this morning”. So I guess he could claim it wasnt known this morning” if something happens later
The old "as of this morning" hedge from the Ferminator. A wise qualifier for the cowardly. So if there is a commit today, it would have been utterly unknowable before his post... except, perhaps, to @bradtejeda.

I was wondering why he wasn’t mentioned this weekend…staff might lock him up cause he enjoyed his time on campus earlier this month. He’s going to be the only OV, plenty of love & attention he’s about to get.
Looks like the Henderson twins will be joining him.

Advertisement
Back