Soccer Official soccer/futbol thread (Europe/USA).

Is the USSF run by Blake James? What an absolute **** show over there.
Cronyism, nepotism, & general incompetence has always been the name of the game for the US Fed. It’s a jobs pro’grum/Old Boys/Girls club for national team vets most of whom aren’t qualified for the billets that they’re hired for. Only org more incompetent than USSF is USA Hockey though that’s neck & neck really.

Advertisement
Cronyism, nepotism, & general incompetence has always been the name of the game for the US Fed. It’s a jobs pro’grum/Old Boys/Girls club for national team vets most of whom aren’t qualified for the billets that they’re hired for. Only org more incompetent than USSF is USA Hockey though that’s neck & neck really.
Eric Wynalda was on Sirius's soccer station last night with Tony Meola. It was a great listen. Granted, Wynalda has his own bias in it from his failed bid as president, but boy the gloves were off. They were both just across the board ****ed. ****ed about the federation looking like a joke, ****ed about soccer mom drama at the highest level, ****ed about the hiring process for GGG, ****ed about having to be quiet about it in support of him for the last 4 years, ****ed about his joke of a yes men coaching staff, ****ed about Ernie Stewart's press conference. It was a really good listen from the chunks I was able to on the way to the basketball game.

Eric Wynalda was on Sirius's soccer station last night with Tony Meola. It was a great listen. Granted, Wynalda has his own bias in it from his failed bid as president, but boy the gloves were off. They were both just across the board ****ed. ****ed about the federation looking like a joke, ****ed about soccer mom drama at the highest level, ****ed about the hiring process for GGG, ****ed about having to be quiet about it in support of him for the last 4 years, ****ed about his joke of a yes men coaching staff, ****ed about Ernie Stewart's press conference. It was a really good listen from the chunks I was able to on the way to the basketball game.
Yeah, to me, this Berhalter/Reyna Affair is beyond absurd but not shocking. Reyna’s mom is a national team vet/stud in her own right. Claudio was the friggin’ national team captain and a dude that was one of the first yanks to play at a high level in Europe. Frankly, he should know better. Gio has always been petulant though that’s no crime nor is it unique at that level as you know especially for attacking players. The mom is a bit of a firecracker & Gio seems to have that as well though that’s also a part of why he’s an elite talent. Also think, Gio’s brother passing away due to cancer a few years back has probably impacted how they interact with the world around them, e.g. Gio is playing for “two” in his career and probably makes the mom even more eager to be hyper protective.
All that to say, Berhalter wasn’t qualified for this gig and shouldn’t be renewed just for on field reasons. He wasted 2+ years in not identifying depth in the pool. The team finished 3rd in qualifying and comfortably so but there were plenty of dubious results. His roster selection for the World Cup was curious to say the least. How many right backs do you need on a roster? Why do you leave Pepi at home? There were at least a few guys on the roster strictly for “vibes” which I get to a degree but if you want to bring good locker room dudes then you prob don’t need to bring 5 right backs. I didn’t expect this team to get beyond the round of 16. That’s big boy territory but Gregg didn’t give the team a chance through roster selection to begin the tournament nor through his tactics(lack there of). The player pool in this country is beyond the current corching talent in this country. Berhalter was a marginal MLS coach. The players (Gio & others) don’t respect Berhalter’s corching acumen and why would they? Some of them play big boy ball for Champions League sides. It doesn’t matter. We’ll hire another dude from the old boys club and we’ll “scrap” our way out of the group stage in ‘26 and the Fed and the US Fed sanctioned corporate media will call it a success.
How’s that for New Years optimism!?

Yeah, to me, this Berhalter/Reyna Affair is beyond absurd but not shocking. Reyna’s mom is a national team vet/stud in her own right. Claudio was the friggin’ national team captain and a dude that was one of the first yanks to play at a high level in Europe. Frankly, he should know better. Gio has always been petulant though that’s no crime nor is it unique at that level as you know especially for attacking players. The mom is a bit of a firecracker & Gio seems to have that as well though that’s also a part of why he’s an elite talent. Also think, Gio’s brother passing away due to cancer a few years back has probably impacted how they interact with the world around them, e.g. Gio is playing for “two” in his career and probably makes the mom even more eager to be hyper protective.
All that to say, Berhalter wasn’t qualified for this gig and shouldn’t be renewed just for on field reasons. He wasted 2+ years in not identifying depth in the pool. The team finished 3rd in qualifying and comfortably so but there were plenty of dubious results. His roster selection for the World Cup was curious to say the least. How many right backs do you need on a roster? Why do you leave Pepi at home? There were at least a few guys on the roster strictly for “vibes” which I get to a degree but if you want to bring good locker room dudes then you prob don’t need to bring 5 right backs. I didn’t expect this team to get beyond the round of 16. That’s big boy territory but Gregg didn’t give the team a chance through roster selection to begin the tournament nor through his tactics(lack there of). The player pool in this country is beyond the current corching talent in this country. Berhalter was a marginal MLS coach. The players (Gio & others) don’t respect Berhalter’s corching acumen and why would they? Some of them play big boy ball for Champions League sides. It doesn’t matter. We’ll hire another dude from the old boys club and we’ll “scrap” our way out of the group stage in ‘26 and the Fed and the US Fed sanctioned corporate media will call it a success.
How’s that for New Years optimism!?
Once Sargent went down and he left Pepi at home, it was cooked. You cannot start Ferreira against a team like the Dutch and expect a result. Did you see Pepi said he hung up on Berhalter when he called him to tell him he was not on the team? These top level guys do not, and frankly should not, respect him. Especially when you get the job the way he did and have zero credentials as a player or coach to support it.

When everything was going on with the NWSL, women's team, lawsuit, it was the perfect time to hit reset and get guys who are qualified in there. Instead you have guys propping up the MLS players, cronyism across the board, no search hires, etc. The good thing is I am not sure there is even another coach in that old boys club to hire outside of the guy in Seattle. But with all of this going on, I think they REALLY need an outsider. Which means they will extend Greg.

Berhalter is not good. He should never have gotten the job in the first place. His selections, including for the WC, were trash. I really do believe the USMNT overperformed and achieved in the WC. Considering everything going around them, they could have beaten England and competed against the Netherlands. But I think that's more because of the young talent on the field, nit because if Berhalter.

Then he goes and he publicly blasts Gio. He didn't name him, but everyone knew who he was talking about. That's something that should have been kept in house. There was zero need for him to air that out. Then Gio's mom goes after Berhalter. Whether it was because of the benching, or Berhalter's comment. This is all a **** show. They're all wrong. But none of it changes the fact that Berhalter shouldn't have been, and shouldn't be now, in charge of the USMNT. Until US soccer fixes its internal problems, these issues will continue.

Advertisement
Once Sargent went down and he left Pepi at home, it was cooked. You cannot start Ferreira against a team like the Dutch and expect a result. Did you see Pepi said he hung up on Berhalter when he called him to tell him he was not on the team? These top level guys do not, and frankly should not, respect him. Especially when you get the job the way he did and have zero credentials as a player or coach to support it.

When everything was going on with the NWSL, women's team, lawsuit, it was the perfect time to hit reset and get guys who are qualified in there. Instead you have guys propping up the MLS players, cronyism across the board, no search hires, etc. The good thing is I am not sure there is even another coach in that old boys club to hire outside of the guy in Seattle. But with all of this going on, I think they REALLY need an outsider. Which means they will extend Greg.
Forgot all about the NWSL..Good point. Further credence to burning the whole thing down.
I was hopeful that Steve Cherundolo would stay in GER. He was working his way up corching in the Hanover academy, etc. I get coming back to SoCal though to work for LAFC. He’s a former teammate of the Reyna/Berhalter/Stewart/McBride generation but maybe his time in GER somewhat insulated him from the clique as he didn’t immediately return to the US/MLS upon retirement. I don’t want Marsch for the national team. I like the guy but I don’t see his pressing system working vs anyone at int’l level beyond concacrap minnows. Would like to see him vary up his tactics. He’s good at the man management/culture piece but he needs to build on that.

United get the best CDM in futbol.

#toolittletoolate
#GlazersOut

@We the Boss

Adding Casemiro to that center back pairing makes it a totally new United defense. Full of beasts.

/seeyaMaguire

Haaland = fraudulent.

Crown MadCane, yet again.

While everyone was fellating the City bosses for the acquisition of Haaland, the truth was always that the Casemiro purchase was by far the better move. The tap-in merchant wasn’t even noticed today. Completely shut down.

Advertisement

The legendary Luke Shaw shut him down. The running joke this week is that City would have won if Haaland played on Saturday.

But as soon as he scores another tap-in, I’m sure he will be crowned again.

Lol I am a big Ten Hag fan so to see United winning is great. Haaland is an incredible talent. He plays on a team of 76 midfielders so the tap ins are bound to happen. So far the volley against Dortmund has to be his most impressive goal at City.

If City played more counter attack he would still run by guys in England imo. Fun to watch.

Advertisement

The legendary Luke Shaw shut him down. The running joke this week is that City would have won if Haaland played on Saturday.

But as soon as he scores another tap-in, I’m sure he will be crowned again.

The more you post about Haaland the more it sounds like you would enjoy a prawn sandwich.

Advertisement
What the **** was Ten Hag thinking today, starting Casemiro when he was one yellow short of suspension, in a midweek match, with ****nal this weekend?

McFred should have been in this match. And only one of Fernandes/Eriksen.

I would rather have a striker who lives off tap ins than one who scored the occasional worldie. Positional awareness means more chances

Advertisement
Back