Official “If not Mario then who?” Thread

Whether you have a #1 option or not your doing the entire program a disservice by not kicking the tires and interviewing other candidates. Guys I’d like to see us reach out too if things were to turnover.

- Cristobal
- Kiffin
- Freeze
- Fickell
- Venables
- M. Stoops

From NFL
- Byron Leftwich
- Eric Bieniemy
- Todd Bowles
- Doug Pederson
- Raheem Morris

Last edited by a moderator:
Advertisement
Freeze and Kiffin are not happening. Freeze almost gave Ole Miss the death penalty and Kiffin is too out there for UM. We wouldn't hire Leach so Kiffin ain't happening either.

Realistic Coaches outside of Mario
Dave Clawson - All he does is turn 2-3 star recruits into legit players and his team wins about as much as you can at a school like Wake. He won at Fordham, Richmond, Bowling Green and now Wake.
Matt Wells - Gil Brandt raves about him. He did a great job at Utah State and in year 3 has Texas Tech finally playing well with a 3-0 start to the season.

If we go failed NFL coach route then Bill O'Brien or Doug Marrone should be considered. Both won in college and both would be tough on the players, which wouldn't be the worse thing for this team. Need someone to kick the team in the butt then be their best friend.

Advertisement
This thread is great, of all the names thrown out, I'd choose each and every one over Manny every single time.

What's everyone's thoughts on Clawson from Wake? Seems to be a good coach that gets the most out of his team.
He’s good but that’s it. He’s better suited at a job he could take his time at.

Advertisement
Malzahn was Rhett Lashlee's mentor FYI so if you hate Rhett's offense then you'll sure as s*it hate Gus'.
Gus is actually proven to be a great play caller and oc, most mentors are much better than those they teach. Lashlee s play calling is his biggest issue, not necessarily the offense. Dnofrio and golden were supposedly parcels and bellicheck disciples. From their tree anyway

Advertisement
Facts. People need to move away from this " miami guy " mentality and embrace the hard ***, disciplinarian whose gonna win games mentality instead.
This. I don’t care if you get out athleted by Bama, but look like you are where you are supposed to be and they just made a better play. If someone does something dumb rip them a new one and bench them a few plays.

Bill O’Brien would be great. The problem with Bienemy is he doesn’t call the plays and never been a HC. He’s also had Pat Mahomes and Reid who have propped him up. He needs to cut his teeth somewhere before he gets his shot. The NFL keeps passing on him for a reason and its not bc of his skin color.

My list
1. Mario
2. Kiffin
3. O’Brien

I’d call Mario until he blocks the Miami Athletic Department number. He may have some short comings but he’d be the biggest hire in program history.

If he says no call Kiffin. He’d clean up in recruiting and his offenses would break records. Pay for a big time DC. My only worry is he doesn’t seem like a long term option.

Napier & Mark Stoops would be the next calls. Good not great hires.

I’m not a fan of Marrone or O’Brien simply because first NFL gig available they’ll jump.

Advertisement
week wife GIF

I think he wants to stay in NFL. I could be wrong. Don’t like how it went from great to bad rather quickly with him.
I blame a lot of that on Howie, whom I wonder is related to Blake James.

I’ll add a few more just throwing out names don’t shoot the poster

Bill O Brein
Curtis Johnson
Joe Brady
Brian Daboll
Doug peterson
Daboll would be interesting. Ken would be too perfect of a fit for the OC job.

Advertisement
Back