Official “If not Mario then who?” Thread

If Blake is still AD, he'll just ask if any of the BoT members or other prominent Miami figures have a son who wants to Veruca Salt his way into becoming coach

But if we're dipping into smaller schools, Napier and Clark are guys who have won. Maybe even a Curt Cignetti, who was on Saban's early Bama staffs and has JMU rolling pretty well?

I'm trusting you all not to save this in case all these guys bust.

Last edited:
Advertisement
A guy with HC experience who won’t take no foolishness whatsoever & who will play the young kids without hesitation if they’re better. At least give them a chance. They can’t be worse as anything we’ve put out there

Advertisement
John Harbaugh - makes chicken salad out of chicken **** every year. Makes $9M. Raise season ticket prices by $100 and that's $4M on top of what we already pay. Get a few big donors and bring in a Bama type assistant/support staff. Maybe he's ready to move to no income tax FL and have a boat out back of his house.

Sean Payton - can't be psyched about Jameis Winston as his QB. Similar salary to Harbaugh.

Doug Pederson - made the Eagles relevant with terrible QBs and played QB in the league for forever.

Why not shoot for the stars. We have the money with some simple changes. What season ticket holder (40k-ish of us) wouldn't pay $100 more per season (less than $20 more per game) to have a legit staff/team/program? Charge $200 more and we're still the cheapest ticket in town. $8M more revenue to plow right back into the football program.

Bienemy would be a better cultural fit at USC and Mario would be a better cultural fit at UM. Whether that happens, who knows...
No doubt about Bienemy. Can’t remember where or who it was that threw his name out there. Pipe dream at best and even if he was to come, he’d bolt for the first NFL HC job offered.

1) Mario
2) Mario
3) Mario
4) Mario
5) Mario…….

After 10 attempts then I am looking for a coach that has experience as that CEO and has extensive contacts to bring in seriously qualified assistants in building a staff. With that said…

11) Matt Campbell - Iowa State

12) Lane Kiffin (I don’t think he wants to go through the whole debacle when he left Tennessee all over again. I think he stays at Ole Miss. I could be wrong but I still make that call).

13) Gary Patterson - TCU
14) Kyle Whittingham - Utah
15) Luke Fickell - Cincy
16) Chip Kelly - UCLA
17) Jamey Chadwell - Costal Carolina

Last edited:
Advertisement
Lemme just also say I don’t think there are many legitimate names out there like people hope for

Our track record dictates how I feel about this
I agree that it seems like Mario or bust, and I would’ve been ok with Brown before he took the WVU job. He would’ve been a culture changer and cleaned up a lot, but I just don’t see him as a long term solution. And right now seems like the time where we absolutely have to hit on a hire. It feels like this program is one more HC bust from ever being relevant again. Gotta capitalize on the young talent or kiss signing top rated kids goodbye for the next handful of years.

Mario Cristobal is the #1 choice and has to be our first call. The guy’s proven himself. After that, it’s a bit more complicated.

At the current HC level, Mark Stoops would be solid and come here in a second. Luke Fickell has also done wonders at cincy but I doubt he’s interested. Dave Clawson is an interesting choice, he’s done great at Wake and his teams are always ready to play. Two years ago I would’ve said Dino Babers but he’s sucked since then so that’s a no.

Gus Malzahn probably gets a call, if Mario says no. I think he’d be Richt 2.0 though.

Not sold on Matt Campbell. He’s done well at ISU but his teams are wayyyyyyy to inconsistent. They’ll beat OU one week and lose to Akron the next.

Lane Kiffin would be a dogsh*t hire. Guy has sucked everywhere he’s gone and we’d be under probation in two seconds. Doing well at Ole Miss but their defense is TBD.

On coordinators, I don’t want to hire one btw, Brent Venables could work out.

Advertisement
Used to be.

However, both JJ and Erickson took over a program that had won a NC the year before (JJ, from Schnelly), and Erickson (4-year 44-4, '87 NC JJ team). Only Butch rebuilt the program, after a few seasons of Erickson's poor recruiting and crippling NCAA sanctions. This is not a dig at JJ or DE, just the truth of their timing.

Miami needs a program rebuilder, IMO
Bill Clark

I agree that it seems like Mario or bust, and I would’ve been ok with Brown before he took the WVU job. He would’ve been a culture changer and cleaned up a lot, but I just don’t see him as a long term solution. And right now seems like the time where we absolutely have to hit on a hire. It feels like this program is one more HC bust from ever being relevant again. Gotta capitalize on the young talent or kiss signing top rated kids goodbye for the next handful of years.
Oh man I couldn’t agree with you more. This hire has to be a homerun and I don’t think Brown is a homerun but my PTSD says it will be something much worse

Advertisement
This thread is great, of all the names thrown out, I'd choose each and every one over Manny every single time.

What's everyone's thoughts on Clawson from Wake? Seems to be a good coach that gets the most out of his team.
Clawson runs an up-tempo offensive system, and is doing way more with far less up here in Winston-Salem (I know b/c I live here and have some interaction with him on the Wake campus). For Wake, going to bowls the last 5 years (winning 4 of them) is their equivalent of us winning 5 nattys. It’s rare air, and they’ll build him a statue if he chooses to stay. If Clawson and John Currie, the WF AD chose to take their talents to Coral Gables, it’d be a massive upgrade over the clown show we have going now. That said, my preference is for an AD from a top-flight athletics school and a mean ol’ cuss of a HC like Saban who ain‘t gonna put up with mistakes and not hold people accountable. The culture of the entire athletic dept. is broken and needs to be rebuilt from scratch.

Advertisement
Back