Offensive Line

Why do people still expect this group to suddenly wake up and be dominant?

Let it go. They are a solid unit, but much in the vein of our QB.

Advertisement
We were breaking runs from the first Qtr to the fourth. Coley kept trying to run stretch plays and throwing with Morris. What Dallas did in the second half, we could have done in the first. We could have run for 350 yards last night no doubt about it. The OL was not as bad as some are making it out, for one, we need to stop shuffling players around....unless we need to. And we need more power and pulling plays. Coley calls plays as if we have FSU small OL.

Maybe I'm late in pointing this out, but did anyone see that HUUUUGE breakdown where McDermott made a call identifying the mike and it was either Flowers or Bunche, who jumped up in McDermott's face identifying a totally different guy as the mike and then got back in his stance before the play was run?

Bunche has his mental problems which is why he DOES NOT START, but McDermott is worse because not only does he start but it's also his job to make the calls. I hope KC is a straight stud, because although Shane is a good player, he should not be a starter on our OL.

Maybe I'm late in pointing this out, but did anyone see that HUUUUGE breakdown where McDermott made a call identifying the mike and it was either Flowers or Bunche, who jumped up in McDermott's face identifying a totally different guy as the mike and then got back in his stance before the play was run?

Bunche has his mental problems which is why he DOES NOT START, but McDermott is worse because not only does he start but it's also his job to make the calls. I hope KC is a straight stud, because although Shane is a good player, he should not be a starter on our OL.

I believe it was Flowers who corrected McDermott. I thought he was starting his block before anyone was set when it happened.

This offensive line doesnt really have guys with good feet. But they're decent enough.

Problem # 1 is Shane McDermott being soft as a baby's candy a$$. #2 they aren't "covering up" the guys they're blocking, to wall them away from the ball carrier; which will help them hold their blocks better. #3 Majority of the time, these guys are standing straight up during run blocking, minus Wheeler & Feleciano. <- Those are the only 2 nasty guys on the line.

Advertisement
From Al Golden, here is the transcript per Tim Reynolds

That's a gutsy win, boy. It didn't look good. We lost a lot of guys along the way. Guys were stepping up, fighting our tails off. We overcame four interceptions. We'll get that corrected when we get back to Coral Gables. But right now, they've got to enjoy this. That's a gutsy road win for the 'Canes.

(On the mindset): What they're learning is just to play six seconds at a time and trust that the outcome is going to take care of itself. All week, we talked about playing until there's four zeroes on the clock. Play until four zeroes are on the clock. I can't believe it was prophetic.

(On Dallas Crawford): Unbelievable effort by him. The offensive line, tight ends, fullback blocking. I think Randy's going to be OK. But a lot of guys stepped up. Eduardo Clements on the last drive stepped up. A lot of guys on special teams because we had so many guys out. Just a team win.

I saw that play, it was Flowers who jumped in his face. McDermott gets pushed around every game. Great kid, but we need Wheeler at center if we are going to challenge FSU!!

Last edited:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZazPdzLe7xU#t=313

O-line did not play horrible: All the plays listed below are running plays where the RB did not get touched until 7-8 yards down field (exception TD's), and some plays even further. Did the o-line have their best game, NO. Did they completely suck, not even close.

First Play - Duke for 15
3rd play - Duke for 60
2:03 - DC for 10
2:13 - DC 15
2:51 DC for 20
3:10 Dc for 12
3:20 DC for 4 (TD)
4:10 EC for 13
4:20 EC for 15
4:55 DC for 3 (TD)

Honest question, what is the deal with Wheeler? I mean any time he has been in there, he looks CLEARLY better than McDermott. McDermott is the weakest link on that OL, followed CLOSELY by Bunche. Flowers is also having a pretty lack luster year.

I just dont understand why Wheeler is not seeing more play time. **** you can still call Shane the starter, but Wheeler has been MUCH better blocking than McDermott.

Just not what I expected from a BIG and Veteran unit of upperclassmen.

Advertisement
Honest question, what is the deal with Wheeler? I mean any time he has been in there, he looks CLEARLY better than McDermott. McDermott is the weakest link on that OL, followed CLOSELY by Bunche. Flowers is also having a pretty lack luster year.

I just dont understand why Wheeler is not seeing more play time. **** you can still call Shane the starter, but Wheeler has been MUCH better blocking than McDermott.

Does Wheeler have an All-American younger brother committed to us at the moment?

Does Wheeler have an All-American younger brother committed to us at the moment?

Who gives a ****, you have to play for the now. If young McDermott didn't come here because his brother was beat out, then good riddance.

Who gives a ****, you have to play for the now. If young McDermott didn't come here because his brother was beat out, then good riddance.

Yes, but obviously this is a business decision by the staff. Nobody else outside of Morris is exempt from being benched.

O-line had its issues last night but i'll relax with all the doom and gloom. The stats back it up as well. Oh yeah, no on firing Kehoe.

Advertisement
I thought Wheeler struggled quite a bit last night. Not saying Shane didn't but the difference between the two wasn't noticeable.

Yes, but obviously this is a business decision by the staff. Nobody else outside of Morris is exempt from being benched.

El oh el...yeah, I'm sure AG and Kehoe and Coley are playing Shane just because of his little bro, who hasn't even set foot on campus. That's just dumb.

I wonder why we didn't try to smash a few FB dives into the middle. They were getting a lot of penetration from their DEs...just seems like you could slow that down a bit by at least showing a few quick hitters up the middle. I'd personally like to see more of Hagens running the ball, but it's pretty tough to argue with the OL's run blocking overall. Pass blocking needs work, but they're opening holes.

Advertisement
Many of the O-line's "problems" come from some of our stupid personnel decisions. The O-line literally gets worse the second Bunche subs in at LG. He's sitting there chasing the D-End who's already being blocked by the LT, meanwhile there's a blitzes running right across his face. He ends up blocking nobody. This happened atleast twice. McDermott, don't get me started.

Agree with this. I just don't understand the OL shuffle, our 1st 5 offensive possessions we had 5 different OL groupings. OL needs continuity, needs to trust each other and that is impossible to do when you are moving guys around so much. I would just line up with Flowers, Feliciano, Wheeler, Linder, Henderson. Whatever group you like best at this point Flowers, Feliciano, Wheeler, Linder should never leave the field.

the o line for the most part seems soft, did you guys see how many people dallas had to make miss in order to get back to the line of scrimmage on almost all the plays? UNC got A LOT of penetration for the most part

It will be interesting to see how they 'grade out'. Crawford clawed and scratched for every inch last night. It was painful to watch at times. I agree wholeheartedly that our O Line is not living up to the hype.

WTF game did you watch?

Advertisement
Back