Offensive Line

CaneCounty

Senior
Is a disappointment. Look the part but doesn't act the part.

Not sure why Kehoe gets a pass on here. His unit has consistently underachieved. This is not just about last night but dating back to earlier this season and last.

And can we stop with the oline shuffle special. Get the best players at their best position and keep them there

Advertisement
Totally agree. There were points last night where you could see them yelling at each other. Now while there were a couple of times it looked like UNC was offsides or may have timed the snap count, there were way too many straight whiffs on blocks on the interior of the line. Guards can't just whiff straight up and hit no one. FSU and VT will not be f**king around come game time.

Haha, what about the left guard tapping the center for the snap count, giving it away to the defense each play? Pass protection was atrocious

Haha, what about the left guard tapping the center for the snap count, giving it away to the defense each play? Pass protection was atrocious

That **** needs to stop ASAP. Drives me nuts. Also, Morris, mess with the cadence once in awhile. Come on.

Advertisement
I think Kehoe should be let go after the year.

I also think we don't utilize the line's best abilities. As the game went on, we starting going back to more of a power run game and had success with that. I'm not a fan of asking one of the bigger OLs in the country to zone block. Save that **** for smaller, more fleet of foot units. We have a bunch of trucks up there, no need to overthink it. Smash the man in front of you.

Our biggest runs down the stretch came when we starting pulling guards and just cracking people, not dancing laterally like a bunch of drunk grizzly bears.

Also, the pass pro was very disappointing.

Kehoe was a band-aid hire for AG, which was a smart move at the moment... Wounds have healed. It's time.

Those guys came to play in the second half. If we are going to bash them when they play like crap, we got to give them credit when they are making things happen. Had Coley been content running the ball, it would have never come down to the last drive. The O-line was controlling the UNC front four after halftime.

I think it goes both ways, there is success and there are some issues.

On a night where our QB sucked and our best RB went down early, we were able to run the ball for 234 yards. They knew we were running, they couldn't stop it.

Last edited:
Advertisement
We ran for 230 yards at 5 per, most with the back up RB. Morris was sacked 1 time on a roll out that had nothing to do with the OL.

The OL struggled tonight, especially with backside penetration and gave up a few pressures, but we literally marched downfield with them completely dominating UNC's defense. The group wasn't perfect, but calling for the OL coach to be fired when the back up RB ran for 140 and the OL gave up no sacks is a bit over the top.

Also the zone stuff has consistently worked better all season than power. Duke's long run was zone, Dallas had a ton of big carries on zone in the 2nd half, one of Clements run was zone. I seriously have no idea how this keeps popping up for us not to run zone when Miami has constantly done it long before Golden or anyone (other than Kehoe, who had an OL zone blocking for Portis and McGahee) else on this staff has been here.

The offensive line is fine. There were massive holes all night long. A lot of our plays are slow developing giving the DL of the opposing team time to get to the QB. Not worried about the offensive line for a second.

People can throw stats out all they want... The OL is not fine. It hasn't been fine. It won't be fine. Half of DC yards came after contact or from making people miss constantly in the backfield. There is no spinning our lack of short yardage conversions or pathetic red zone running game. Look at FAU. Look at USF. Look at last night. (first half) Penetration everywhere. **** poor technique. This isn't last years UNC team btw.. Those were babies out there. (who haven't stopped anybody all season)

Advertisement
Many of the O-line's "problems" come from some of our stupid personnel decisions. The O-line literally gets worse the second Bunche subs in at LG. He's sitting there chasing the D-End who's already being blocked by the LT, meanwhile there's a blitzes running right across his face. He ends up blocking nobody. This happened atleast twice. McDermott, don't get me started.

They struggled at times, especially in the zone scheme. For whatever reason, we could NOT stop the backside pursuit or the edge pursuit. Our interior line was just too slow. When we started going power with the pulling guard it was bulldozer time. I watched the game again this morning and they completely took over in the late 3rd and 4th when we needed them to. 12 play, 96 yard drive and we run the ball 10 times for the win? That's an *** whooping. Also, a lot of that 'pressure' was picked up, Stephen just bailed or threw off his back foot even with a good pocket. Worst game of his career

People can throw stats out all they want... The OL is not fine. It hasn't been fine. It won't be fine. Half of DC yards came after contact or from making people miss constantly in the backfield. There is no spinning our lack of short yardage conversions or pathetic red zone running game. Look at FAU. Look at USF. Look at last night. (first half) Penetration everywhere. **** poor technique. This isn't last years UNC team btw.. Those were babies out there. (who haven't stopped anybody all season)

There are some issues but...

UNC has let up the following rushing yards: 228, 159, 324 (GT), 227 & 99 (VT)

We had 234 rushing yards and we did without or best RB and Morris turning the ball over 4 times. In the first quarter we almost had 100 rushing yards. Not sure this is the game you make your stink. While they're not some defensive juggernaut we had the second most and one of those teams only rushes the ball. Imagine if Duke plays the whole game, imagine if we turned it over less.

Against FAU, we ran the ball for 303 yards. Against USF, we ran it for 165.

I agree there are some issues in the redzone (namely USF with Duke and the fumbles) but those games above we clearly had success running the ball.

Advertisement
The Edge and Backside pursuit and then the delayed blitz/stunt up the middle. We have to get all three of those things fixed RIGHT NOW!!

Many of the O-line's "problems" come from some of our stupid personnel decisions. The O-line literally gets worse the second Bunche subs in at LG. He's sitting there chasing the D-End who's already being blocked by the LT, meanwhile there's a blitzes running right across his face. He ends up blocking nobody. This happened atleast twice. McDermott, don't get me started.

This this this this this.

My main thing about the OL is that they do not have an identity. Are they a zone-blocking or are they a smash-mouth OL? I guess the answer would be whatever Coley (OC) wants them to be (or whatever is working or appropriate in certain parts of the game). I doesn't matter to me if they are being consistent with it. People are saying, "well, they had 2 weeks to prepare for us." Well guess what? We had 2 weeks to prepare for them as well.

I would have been relieved to know that we solved our problem of not being able to score inside the 5. We score TDs instead of FGs, they would've been trying to catch up to us... In the end, 6-0 is 6-0 and I'm truly grateful for that. Time to think about WF now.

the o line for the most part seems soft, did you guys see how many people dallas had to make miss in order to get back to the line of scrimmage on almost all the plays? UNC got A LOT of penetration for the most part

Advertisement
Back